Skip to main content
Amanda
Just Said Yes August 2021

Engagement Photos, Worth it or over rated?

Amanda, on September 17, 2020 at 5:16 PM

Posted in Planning 30

My fiancé and I have started looking for our wedding photographer and a lot of them offer deals on engagement photos if you schedule with them. I'm very on the fence about engagement photos, I'm a little cynical and I view them as yet another expense out of our budget that i could use on cool stuff...

My fiancé and I have started looking for our wedding photographer and a lot of them offer deals on engagement photos if you schedule with them. I'm very on the fence about engagement photos, I'm a little cynical and I view them as yet another expense out of our budget that i could use on cool stuff for the big day. But recently my fiance is leaning towards wanting to get them done. (Also My fiancé is a graphic designer and is making out announcements and we aren't going to be using any photos of us for them so i see this as even less of a reason to get them done)

I'm very curious to hear if people think they are worth it? If you didn't get them done do you regret it or do you think it was a good call?

30 Comments

• Yasmine
    Master October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    I definitely think it’s worth it and I am soooo happy that we decided to do ours. We also used them on our save the dates and we have some spread around the house.

We also gave some to family members and they loved them!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

Totally worth it!! And we didn't use photos for our Save-the-Dates (never wanted to) - and engagement pictures were still SO worth it! Having that session with our photographer was invaluable for leaning how to relax in front of the camera, figuring out how to follow the photographer's posing tips, and seeing what looked good and what things I'd tweak for our wedding day photos - it was all so helpful!

On top of that, my photographer told me that in the end her clients end up ordering more additional prints of their engagement pictures than wedding photos!! She had a great point about engagement photos being more versatile, and man was she right! When we first got our wedding photos back I framed a bunch of my favorites, put them out at home, and it instantly looked like a weird shrine to our wedding! Smiley laugh Our engagement photos are definitely our favorite "normal" pictures of us together, and the photos I go to when I need to share / submit a nice photo of the two of us! Smiley heart

• Bo Miller
    Expert December 2020
    Bo Miller ·
    • Flag

I have been going back and forth on getting them, but I think that we are going to do it because honestly 99.9% of the pictures we have of us are selfies I have taken. We literally have 1 full body picture of us that her mom took around Christmas and it is terrible quality and we look sooooooooooo awkward lol

• A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t get them done and don’t regret it. We met our photographer 5 minutes before the ceremony. I think it depends on what you want and if you think it’ll be worth it.
  • MLS
    Dedicated September 2021
    MLS ·
    • Flag
    I love love love my pictures. I also have a unique situation. I could afford it because my fiance knows the photographer at his work. And he really likes my fiance and gave us a crazy good deal.
    If not for said photographer I wouldn't have been able to afford them. But it's not a necessity. But it is fun
  • Ariel
    Savvy June 2021
    Ariel ·
    • Flag
    I think they are totally worth it!! My fiancé hates taking pictures and is super critical of himself so for us it was a no brainer to get him used to taking pictures with a photographer. It also helped us get comfortable with our photographer and her style. Even though I loved her from our first conversation, it’s totally different talking to your photographer and working with them doing the photos so I felt it would be a good idea. We used the photos for our Save the Dates and then also for our wedding website. It’s really nice to have these amazing professional photos of us, plus we did them in Princeton which is where we had our first date, first kiss and where he proposed so it was extra special!
  • Kiara
    VIP August 2021
    Kiara ·
    • Flag
    Well it was Included but we needed pix professional of us two so it wasnt a waste for us...
  • Beth
    Dedicated October 2020
    Beth ·
    • Flag
    Thanks to a broken bicep and then Covid we were not able to take ours for 8 months after we had originally planned! By that point it was only 4 months before our wedding. There was no real “need” for them, but I am BEYOND THRILLED WE DID! (Covid hair, weight gain and all!)

It helped us get to know our photographer, her style and ours, we learned A LOT about posing for a camera and how to be less awkward. It was a wonderful and intimate moment for us! Bonus, we now have a few professional pictures in our “normal” clothes and in areas we wouldn’t have been able to be for our wedding pictures. I filled our house with them and they bring me so much joy!
    The cost was rolled into our photography package so it really wasn’t any more than we were already spending. Most photographers will “throw in” and engagement session when you book for your wedding so look for that route for the budget friendly options!
  • Erin
    Savvy August 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    I am in love with our engagement pictures! So happy we did them! Giving them out as Christmas gifts this year! And will be giving wedding pictures out next year! Done and done! ♥️
  • Adrienne
    Dedicated October 2021
    Adrienne ·
    • Flag

When i first started looking i didn't think they were very important but our photographer had a packaged deal where they came with it, and personally, i'm glad we got them now. 1. i am not photogenic. I always look stupid in photos, so this allowed me some practice before our big day. And if you're like me, you want the most bang for your buck since you're paying a lot of money for these pics and don't want to look bad in them. This also gives your photographer a chance to see how you photograph and are before your big day so it kinda gives them a better chance to photograph you better that day i guess.

Also, it was nice to get some professional photos honestly...we've never had our picture professionally done and it really was nice to get some professional quality, actually really nice pics of us that i can have at home now Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics