Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Long Distance Bride
Devoted June 2017

Dyeing or painting a wedding dress

Long Distance Bride, on August 16, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Posted in Do It Yourself 49

Hi all! I'd like to dye or hand paint my wedding dress for the big day. I found a great "blank canvas" for next to nothing(not terribly concerned if it doesn't turn out- I have back up options), and I'd love to give it some personality. I have lots of experience painting pictures, and at home dye...

Hi all! I'd like to dye or hand paint my wedding dress for the big day. I found a great "blank canvas" for next to nothing(not terribly concerned if it doesn't turn out- I have back up options), and I'd love to give it some personality. I have lots of experience painting pictures, and at home dye jobs for things like sun dresses, but have never done something this big! It's a polyester fabric, and the back has a small train. Any tips, tricks or inspiration would be lovely!

49 Comments

• O&L
    VIP September 2016
    O&L ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Oh I am really like the last one but I think second one is the most unique design I have ever seen! I can't wait to see the end result!!

• Erin
    Devoted October 2017
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Gah! I would never take the last one off! That concept is amazing.

• JustBre
    Devoted October 2016
    JustBre ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I cannot wait to see your finished dress!

• Junebug
    Expert June 2017
    Junebug ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Go for it! What a great idea!!

• Chulita127
    Beginner April 2019
    Chulita127 ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Where'd you find that dress???

• Seshanna
    Devoted October 2018
    Seshanna ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Oops, really old thread Smiley xd

• edecker
    Super December 2024
    edecker ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

My wedding dress is a very similar shape/style and I too plan on adding some detail to mine. I don't have much experience with polyester, but I know that dyes only work on breathable fabrics like cotton tshirts, and that for things like tulle, you can spray paint it to give it color.

For my dress, It has layers of tulle so I plan on making it "ombre" by adding pink tulle underneath of the skirt. maybe this is something you could do?

I hope I was able to help. Its a beautiful dress and I cant wait to see it when you're finished!

• Brooklyn
    Just Said Yes July 2018
    Brooklyn ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    This would be so pretty ombre dip dyed.

• Will & Tiara
    Super September 2019
    Will & Tiara ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I think your dress is beautiful as it is. However, of course, do practice on similar fabric and start on the bottom. Initially I think you could add "color" and "pizazz" by adding a thick sash in your choice color with a diamond, pearl or flower flourish. Add opera length colored gloves to match and use crystal jewelry with gemstones. Of course, colored shoes with shoe clips are fabulous. Sometimes it's about adding colored

Adding a bold color to a wedding dress.Dyeing or painting a wedding dress 1

accessories to a simple design rather than redesigning the color, but see what works for you.

Colored Sash EstyDyeing or painting a wedding dress 2Crinoline petticoat do search on EasyDyeing or painting a wedding dress 3Colored shoesDyeing or painting a wedding dress 4Colored headpiece/tiaraDyeing or painting a wedding dress 5Colored sash - EtsyDyeing or painting a wedding dress 6

See photos for inspiration.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics