Vanessa
Expert September 2019

Drinks. Open bar? Beer and wine? Thoughts

Vanessa, on July 17, 2019 at 4:35 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 30
Saved Save
Hey everyone!

Lets talk drinks! I was strict about only having beer and wine at our wedding, we didn’t want people to go overboard but we know sometimes it’s inevitable for some. But now I’m thinking I don’t want to be too cheap, what do you think about beer, wine, and a his and hers drink? Our venue has just about unlimited options for beer and wine so people will still be able to have their favorites. Or should we consider an open bar... thanks! 😄

30 Comments

• Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag
    I totally think beer, wine and signature drinks is great. Open bar is even better. Do whatever your event dictates and your budget allows of course. At my wedding, I noticed people drinking everything lol. Beer, wine and mixed drinks.
  • Michaela
    Super May 2020
    Michaela ·
    • Flag

Most weddings I've been to where there is only beer and wine, people are still perfectly content. Would there be booze available for purchase? A lot of people who prefer whiskey or whatever, will buy some of their preferred drink and then switch to beer. Or start with a wine then buy what they want later. I don't think people will think you're cheap, they will be grateful to be getting anything for free

• Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    I think what you are proposing is s fresh selection for people and will also help keep your costs down. Is there an option for people to buy drinks if they don’t want beer or wine? Not a big deal but maybe an option.
  • Allie
    Rockstar August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag

We are doing 3 beers, 3 wines, and 2 signature drinks. My cousin just had an open bar and honestly it wasn't that great. They couldn't make anything I asked and pretty much just had cranberry, orange juice and coke as mixers. I like the signature drinks because they are fun and people don't have to spend a lot of time deciding to order a martini and the bartender not being able to make it haha.

• N
    Dedicated November 2019
    Nita ·
    • Flag
    Just beer and wine is absolutely fine so if that’s what you want/your budget allows stick with that! But if you’re doing just beer and wine only to keep people from going overboard...that’s not really going to stop them. You can get plenty drunk off of just beer and wine. Serve what YOU want and trust you’re guests/bartenders to keep things under control
  • L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

As long as guests don't have to pay, anything is totally fine! We did beer and wine and margaritas (the only alcohol my MIL drinks, lol). I don't think beer and wine comes off cheap at all, but if it's in your budget and you'd feel better with a couple special cocktails or adding certain hard liquor then I would go for it.

• Ebony
    Beginner June 2020
    Ebony ·
    • Flag
    We thought about the same thing as far as people going overboard so we agreed on a cash bar to try a minimize the amount that people drink.
  • Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Beer and wine sounds like good options.
  • Mandi
    Rockstar March 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Agreed. The simpler the drink menu, the faster the line at the bar.
  • Taylor
    Beginner May 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

That's exactly what we are doing! Beer, wine, and two specialty drinks. We are making the Taylor Special and the David Special! David's is going to be Bacardi and Coke and mine is going to be Vodka and Lemonade or something like that. Good luck!

• Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    • Flag
    We had open beer and wine, cash bar for anything harder and nobody complained about it! I don't think many people bought the harder stuff and most of our friends are beer and wine drinkers anyway. I had a couple hard drinks but because I was the bride they were free!
  • Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

We're bringing our own, so we can't afford to go crazy. We're having a few cases of beer or a keg, some diet pepsi, regular pepsi for non drinkers and for mixed drinks, a few bottles of liquor, and a couple bottles of champagne for toasts.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    That’s basically what we’re doing. Beer, cider, wine, and 2 signature drinks. I think that’s plenty of options.
  • A
    Beginner July 2020
    April ·
    • Flag
    Oh this topic drives me crazy me and my fiance don't do a lot of drinking so were considering nothing but maybe a champagne toast and I'm already getting slack from family members saying that it makes us look cheap and half the people we invite won't come unless there's alcohol

• M.W.
    VIP June 2019
    M.W. ·
    • Flag

I say go with open bar. Beer, Wine, Maybe Vodka and Rum

• Tonia
    Expert October 2019
    Tonia ·
    • Flag
    We are doing signature drinks only during cocktail hour and then a full open bar during the reception. This cuts down on the costs of bottles since we are purchasing all of our liquor. I agree on keeping the options simple so you won't have long lines.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Just beer & wine are totally fine! If you’re worried about cost or a few party people getting out of control with hard alcohol, stick with beer & wine (all night).

But one or two signature drinks would be fun too.
  • Brooke
    Expert November 2019
    Brooke ·
    • Flag

I will only be serving beer and wine (FH choice)

• Ivy ORP
    Rockstar October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag

We are doing the same thing and everyone we talk to about it says it's a great idea. We will have beer and wine, and will have one signature drink. We're not trying to get people drunk but we would like to celebrate and see some dancing! I say relax and as long as you have enough for everyone, don't worry!

• C
    Beginner August 2019
    Cait ·
    • Flag
    It may or may not help to know that when it comes to over serving people, the venue is responsible for that and puts their liquor license at risk if they do. No matter who is paying, some people will always find a way to get sloppy, but one thing you can do to put your mind at ease is have the bar close early and put out coffee.... I’m told that if people get wind of a cash bar then they will bring their own hooch which is not good for anyone in this situation! Good luck because we are also trying to not stress about this aspect which we feel is out of our control!

Comment on this discussion