Keeya
Dedicated August 2019

Dress Problems

Keeya, on July 12, 2019 at 9:22 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 35
Saved Save
I don't know how to talk about this with anybody, so I'm hoping that some of my fellow brides who have gone through this or are going through it have some advice about how to handle being self conscious in your wedding dress.

Let me start by saying I love my dress. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. I just don't like how I look in the dress. I've lost all the weight I can, I'm in even better shape than I was in high school, etc. Alterations are done. I've got less than a month until we get married. I just don't know how get over how I look and just accept it.

Sorry for my bridezilla rant. Any other brides going through this? Or went through it at one point? How did you handle it?

Thank you in advance!

35 Comments

• Naikesha
    Devoted September 2020
    Naikesha ·
    Sorry to hear this you should love your dress and feel amazing in it! IS it the cut, color what in particular don’t you like about how it looks? Or are you putting too much pressure on yourself?
  • Keeya
    Dedicated August 2019
    Keeya ·
    View Quoted Comment

I think it's the way my stomach looks in the dress. And I might be putting too much pressure on myself. I'm not sure. I'm just not happy with the look.

• Megan
    VIP January 2019
    Megan ·
    I didn’t love my body in my dress by the day, but on the day I forgot about it completely and when I look back at photos I just see happiness. I know it’s hard. But trust in yourself, you will be beautiful, you’re projections wedding stress ok your dress
  • Dayna
    Savvy September 2019
    Dayna ·
    Honestly I’ve been going through the same thing with my arms. I am feeling really self conscious which in turn is making me stress eat 😒

I don’t know about you but I’m constantly looking on Instagram and Pinterest for bridal stuff and I’m just inundated with pictures of model size brides. I think constantly seeing this has made me feel like I don’t look how I “should.” Also the pressure to look like the “perfect bride.” I deleted a lot of the wedding accounts on instagram now only following design ones. Personally, I feel it’s honestly been helping my self image.
  • Keeya
    Dedicated August 2019
    Keeya ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much for your advice! It really does help!

• Keeya
    Dedicated August 2019
    Keeya ·
    View Quoted Comment

I completely understand the stress eating and that pressure to look great. That's a good idea to stop following those types of things. Thank you so much!

• Stacey
    Super October 2018
    Stacey ·

I went through this and tortured myself! STOP looking at pictures of it and don't compare yourself to other brides or models, especially models in your dress. lol. You bought it for a reason, you liked yourself in it when you picked it out, you likely saw yourself walking down the aisle to your FH, right? Having body/self esteem issues is tough when you are about to be center of attention. But trust that everyone who is at your wedding will be telling you how gorgeous you are and they will MEAN IT. We are are own worst critics, no one will see the flaws you think you see, especially your FH, he will love it! Are you comfortable posting a pic? We may be able to help with undergarments etc that could help make you feel more confident.

• Brittany
    Savvy October 2019
    Brittany ·
    I think your being to critical of yourself. Would you judge any else the way your judging yourself? Probably not!
  • Jessica
    Beginner September 2019
    Jessica ·
    I think, given the situation the bride is in where you know everyone will be looking at you, its hard to accept yourself the way you are. I feel the same way in my dress. I love it so much but i cant help think " maybe the tulle won't look so big if my love handles were smaller." Im sure you look absolutely stunning and when the day comes focus on the day and your husband and all your worries will float away.
  • Keeya
    Dedicated August 2019
    Keeya ·
    View Quoted Comment

Front.Dress Problems 1Back.Dress Problems 2

So in these pictures I'm actually wearing spanx. The more I wear it though the more I like going without the spanx since I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I've tried in a bustier before but they can cut into your skin pretty badly so I was kind of stuck on what to do.

• Stephnie
    Savvy February 2020
    Stephnie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Girl forget your tummy. Look at that a$$! You are rockin’ that dress!
    i haven’t even found mine yet. Dress shopping is torture for me. I’m not even close to thin, I hate my fat white arms, I am only 5’2”, and I am a G cup. Nightmare. My FH tells me I’m beautiful all the time. I don’t see it. But he does, and I know he means it. When I choose something, I hope I do as well as you.
  • Keeya
    Dedicated August 2019
    Keeya ·
    View Quoted Comment

I get exactly how you're feeling. It must be the stress of weddings that get to us. Thank you so much for the advice! You are going to look amazing too- good luck as the days wind down to your wedding!

• Jessica
    Beginner September 2019
    Jessica ·
    View Quoted Comment
    You look stunning!
  • D
    Just Said Yes December 2020
    Donna ·
    I lost a bunch of weight in between ordering my dress and receiving it. The shop also ordered a size up without asking. I hated the way I looked in it and I felt it was beyond alterations. I was so upset that my mom suggested getting a new one. We were two months out from the wedding so there was no way to order a new one but I found a sample dress that I loved. I’m so glad I bought another dress even though I felt stupid spending more money on another wedding dress. I felt beautiful on my day and all my worries about the dress went away. It was definitely worth the extra $1k to get another dress and I sold the other one on eBay for almost cost.
  • A
    Savvy October 2019
    Amanda ·
    You look AMAZING!! You are being too hard on yourself, everyone is going to think you look perfect! I know it’s easier said than done, because I have those thoughts as well. But at the end of the day you are marrying the love of your life and that’s all you will be thinking of that day!!! Enjoy yourself and remember we all think you look GREAT!!!
  • Lashea
    Beginner September 2019
    Lashea ·
    If you stated your in better shape then in high school you have honesty given it your absolute best . Be proud of yourself celebrate that and focus on your marrying the love of your life in 30 days.
  • Keeya
    Dedicated August 2019
    Keeya ·
    View Quoted Comment

I can't take credit for finding this dress- it was on a mannequin when we walked in and I hardly gave it a second look. My baby sister was persistent that I needed to try it on and made the staff take it off the mannequin so I would. I have no room to talk as I obviously still struggle with body issues, but girl, be confident. I hate clothes shopping but loved going dress shopping. Make sure you take someone with you who loves you and won't let you settle for something just because it's in your comfort zone. You will find something that is absolutely gorgeous, and even if you have moments like I am in the future, know that your FH means it when he says you're beautiful. Even if you don't believe it, hang on to it!

• Keeya
    Dedicated August 2019
    Keeya ·
    View Quoted Comment

I'm sure that was a pretty stressful situation at the time, but congratulations! Losing weight is a huge accomplishment! I'm so glad you found something that you loved!

• Stacey
    Super October 2018
    Stacey ·
    View Quoted Comment

I don't see an issue at all, you look amazing! I wish I had your butt, mine was flat as a pancake in my dress! lol. Is the back lined or sheer? If it is lined they make full body sculptors with spaghetti straps that may work. Something like this:

full body shaper Dress Problems 3

But I don't think you need it!

• A
    Savvy September 2019
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Agree 100% you look AMAZING in that dress and your back end 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

Comment on this discussion