C
Dedicated September 2021

Djs are costly! What are 2020 brides paying?

Conny, on February 16, 2020 at 11:13 AM Posted in Planning 0 23
Saved
I just had a consultation with our potential DJ. He’s charging $1995 for a comprehensive package which includes all the bells and whistles (ceremony, cocktail hour and reception) also includes the mics for the officiants and us, as well as the sparkler exit and 8 up lights which I’m not sure I need more for a wedding of 90 guests. I’m just curious if this is consistent with other brides? I’m in the DC area. This guy seems super detail oriented. I’m leaning towards yes but curious what others are doing? Thanks

23 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on February 20, 2020 at 8:00 PM
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

We're in So Cal, so similarly pricey? A year ago, daughter's DJ for ceremony, cocktail hour, reception (total of 7 hours, not including his set-up & takedown time), mics, some "dance lights," but no uplights or sparkler exit, we paid $1300 and tipped him an additional $100. He had about 20 years experience and was excellent. I think daughter had some other bids that were more in the $**** range. She was super happy with him.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

We are in the Cincinnati area and in 2019 we paid $900 for 30 minutes before ceremony, 30 minute ceremony, cocktail hour, and 4 hour reception. That night the DJ let us extend the reception by an hour for $100. This didn't include any uplighting since we did that through a separate vendor.

• Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    I’m paying about 3.3k for the entire day (preceremony, ceremony, cocktail hour and reception) but that also includes a photo booth. It would have been 2.3 k without the photo booth.
  • S
    Dedicated July 2020
    Shannon ·
    • Flag
    I'm in central Missouri and we found a DJ that offered two packages, 1 for $600 and 1 for $800. The $800 included a smoke effect with 10 ft truss with lights. $600 had smaller lights so we went with that since we want to save money where possible.
  • Hallie
    Dedicated August 2020
    Hallie ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married near Yosemite California and for our DJ it’s 1150 and that includes 6 hours ceremony and Reception, monogram floor, dance lights and a photo booth. Had we only gone with the music services it would have been 900.
  • Rachael
    Expert May 2021
    Rachael ·
    • Flag
    That doesn't seem too bad from quotes I got without uplighting. Look into the pros wedding, they're a national chain type company with offices all over and they let you pick your own dj from a list of people.
  • C
    Dedicated September 2021
    Conny ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks. Yes at first I was apprehensive . Then I kinda started to panic because I’d rather entrust all services to one company who will do it all(they are a sound company so provide more than just music) also MC services and all devices including mics etc. so for a grand total of $2k I’d get everything covered. Pre ceremony, ceremony, cocktail hour and reception and post with sparklers etc. I’m tempted to do it for the convenience of having all the details covered.
  • Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    Ours was about $1000 and that covers wireless microphones, 5 hours of music, and lighting. He has 30 years experience and has worked our venue before.
  • Sylvie
    Dedicated September 2020
    Sylvie ·
    • Flag
    $600 ... but the venue prices for a DJ is $1300
  • Caitlin
    Devoted June 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    Illinois Chicago suburbs here - we are paying around 1300!
  • L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

Chicago suburbs here- paying$755. Its ceremony and 5 hours of service (total 5 1/2). It includes wireless microphone for ceremony and outdoor speaker as well inside at reception. For extra money you can get lights, your name in lights, photo booth, fancier photo booth, etc. yes it’s cool but no one remembers the lights and that you had something on wall with your name -imo. I found him on thumbtack.

• Suzie
    Super October 2021
    Suzie ·
    • Flag

We’re in western Mass and are paying $2,625. That includes a ceremony system, 6 hours of DJ services and MCing, 4 hours of a photo booth with 2 attendants, up lighting and dance lights.

• Cassandra
    Devoted September 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    Ours is $2,100 with travel fee, ceremony, reception and photo booth included!
  • Cassandra
    Devoted September 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    Totally meant to say 1,200 😅🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    In 2019 for SoCal I paid .. $300 for dj for the reception which was five hours and he had all the equipment. I did a package where he had a photo booth so it was $600 altogether with the four hour photo booth that was unlimited pics printed and digital too. But now that it’s 2020 he really hiked up his prices
  • C
    Dedicated September 2021
    Conny ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Clearly I’m getting quotes on the higher side. I have explored three other vendors who are between $1600 and $1500 respectively. Sigh
  • Nicole
    Super August 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    We’re in the Chicago suburbs, we’re paying $1550 for our DJ, emcee included, and monogram for the dance floor. Our DJ sent us PDFs for us to fill out of every song for each event, a do not playlist, and songs we definitely want to hear on our wedding night. Also, they asked us for names of our bridal party, parents of the bride and groom, etc. so they know when they announce introductions. They even gave us a typical wedding timeline for the night so we didn’t have to worry about that.
  • Tori
    Devoted October 2021
    Tori ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Who is your DJ, if you don't mind me asking?

• S
    Dedicated July 2020
    Shannon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Velocity Entertainment. Not sure how far he travels but this is his Facebook page. I got ahold of him through Facebook messenger after looking over his page.Djs are costly! What are 2020 brides paying? 1

• Erika
    Savvy June 2022
    Erika ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Omg Im looking for a dj in the suburbs too!!! Can you send me his contact information????

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics