We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

vivacious
Beginner August 2009

Discount Wedding Gowns...online?

vivacious, on September 11, 2008 at 11:32 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 26
Saved Save

Has anyone ordered a wedding gown online to save money, instead of going through a bridal shop? Just wondering what peoples' experience with this is.

I haven't started dress shopping yet, and definitely plan on going to as many bridal shops as it takes to figure out what I want. If possible I don't want to spend more than $500-750, but I have a feeling I'm going to like the higher quality dresses.

Tips? Thoughts?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Safiya, on February 11, 2016 at 6:22 AM
  • Melissa
    Super September 2009
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Go to Davids Bridal... They constantly have amazing bargains, sales and deals... I got my dress that was originally priced at $1200 for $699... It first was on sale for $999 and then the week I went to get it we got an additional $300 off... My dress is AMAZING and everything I had ever wanted. It discontinued now so I can't show you a picture but its from the Oleg Cassini collection and is just right!!!

• evergeneva
    Devoted September 2009
    evergeneva ·
    • Flag

I have actually bought 2 wedding dresses online (loved the first one, but it didn't fit the rest of the wedding... LOVE the second one). For my first dress, I bought it online just based on pictures and because the seller (on eBay) had a return/exchange policy, I was able to try it on and return it for a different size. For my second dress, I ordered it online from Nordstrom's, tried it on in-store, and returned it for a different color. Once the new color came in, I tried it on and I LOVED it!!!! I was able to find the second dress on eBay (new w/ tags and in my size/color) for about $250 cheaper, so I returned the dress to Nordstrom's after I got it from eBay.

If you go the online route, make sure that the store has a return/exchange policy that you can live with and read the fine print before you buy anything. Keep in mind that if something is too good to be true, it just might be, so always keep your guard up. Good luck!

• Shaina
    Beginner November 2008
    Shaina ·
    • Flag

I am not sure where you live but you may want to try 'The Winner' in Sharon, PA! they had a great selection at a reasonable cost. they also have their own website that you could order from i believe so. i saw their website but i ordered mine in person. the ones that i found in erie, pa where i live where around $1000+. i didnt want to spend that much either. the winner has dresses that start around $300 that i saw. the ones that i liked were $400-600. which i thought wasnt that bad. i found one that i love! i paid $636! i was happy with that. the ones that i found in erie were double that.

• monarchmom
    Expert September 2008
    monarchmom ·
    • Flag

IF you are talking about the dress stores on line that are in China watch out.......because I had my seamtress measure me & add 2" to all my measurements because you can always take the dress in but cannot always take it out & don't you know when it arrived it was tight as baloney skin! Actually the dress was OK but the lining was god awful tight, my seamtress tried to let the lining out but I was still uncomfortable so..............I removed the entire lining! It looks OK. I could do this because it is not a poofy dress, but a tight fitting mermaid type dress. Oh BTW I made such a stink w/ the company in China they refunded part of the $$$ If you are talking about an actual American store that just has a website I think you'll be fine.

• Tracy
    Expert April 2009
    Tracy ·
    • Flag

Try going on knot boards or craigstlist...even ebay. A lot of times brides will sell their gowns there for a fraction of what they paid. My sister got her wedding gown from a girl she found on a knot board....who sold her $5000 reem acra dress & veil for $500 on ebay. it was absolutely gorgeous! all my sis had to do was get it dry cleaned.

if you want something new, try Davids bridal or sample sales at local bridal shops

• Mara Opperman
    January 2021
    Mara Opperman ·
    • Flag

I personally havent ordered a wedding gown online, but the website I cofounded does sell them and I can honestly tell you they do sell. Online is good place to get a nicer gown for a more affordable price. Check out my site, www.idonowidont.com. If you have any further questions feel free to shoot me an email. Id be glad to help.

• L
    Just Said Yes June 2009
    lilJuliet87 ·
    • Flag

I purchased my wedding gown online from ebay... It turned out great!!! I found a Maggie Sottero here in town, but it was way out of my price range. I checked out ebay and ordered it online. I just found out what size i would need from the shop in town. I saved about $600.

• bethandanna
    Just Said Yes October 2008
    bethandanna ·
    • Flag

You just have to BE CAREFUL. Many peopel have horror stories and have been scammed and screwed.

I bought my gown online, but it took a lot longer to arrive than what I was expecting. You might want to call the store and find out how long they anticipate it will take to arrive. Also, look around on the website, make sure it looks legit and has an American address and phone number. It can be successful however.

• Lynette Robinson
    January 2021
    Lynette Robinson ·
    • Flag

Online wedding dress is not always a bargain and there is so much risk. Check your local bridal shops before you resort to online. You might be surprised. If you find a gown in a store but find it online cheaper, let the store know. Sometimes they will match prices. At the very least they can help you research and let you know if you are getting the same dress. There are websites out there that post the designer picture and send you a cheap copy. Even if it looks legitimate and has a U.S. address you can still be disappointed.

A bridal shop is someone you can see face to face, will usually let you make payments, will store your gown, steam and offer expert alterations. They also take the risk if your gown arrives with a problem. What you save online does not always mean savings when you add up the frustration, risk and extra services you get for free from a bridal shop.

• Jennifer Sherman
    January 2021
    Jennifer Sherman ·
    • Flag

I just started my online store, I have a store located in upstate NY. I think you need to just make sure that all your paperwork is in order when you order the gown, make sure that shipping prices are good, and DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY, check the refund policy for the dress.

Also, make sure when you order your dress you will receive it with at least 2 months left before your wedding to ensure you can return it for any errors or to give you time for the appropriate alterations. Good Luck Shopping!

Best Wishes,

• Jennifer Sherman
    January 2021
    Jennifer Sherman ·
    • Flag

I do not know about other stores, but sometimes you can negotiate the price to fit your budget! Give it a try you might be pleasantly surprised with the outcome. This can only be done with the smaller stores but you never know.

Best Wishes,

• Stephanie Warner
    January 2021
    Stephanie Warner ·
    • Flag

Http://www.bridalsamplestore.com/-strse-Bridal-Gowns/Categories.bok

if you dont see something online that you like call them

• H
    Just Said Yes May 2009
    Hottyjustice ·
    • Flag

I recently purchased my wedding dress online from Lightinthebox.com and to be honest with you, it was better than I expected. I got it custom made to fit my body and the dress was absolutely beautiful. At first, I was really skeptical about placing the order. But somehow, I placed in and received it actually one day before Christmas Day. I would strongly recommend lightinthebox. The only downfall with them is that they don't pick up the phone for some reason and that really did scared me, but they have a feature called live agent on their website and someone is always available so that feature was a plus that I was able to communicate with them.

• H
    Just Said Yes May 2009
    Hottyjustice ·
    • Flag

One more thing, the dress I purchased I recently saw in David's Bridal, the only difference is that David's dress is simply and doesn't have all the dress details. Less details and more money from David's Bridal. Overpriced dresses with David's Bridal

• Jan
    Just Said Yes October 2009
    Jan ·
    • Flag

My girlfriend did this for her wedding. She went into a couple of bridal stores and found the dress she liked and wrote down all the information.

She went to http://www.bestbridalprices.com/

and found the same dress online but half the cost. She mentioned that when she ordered the dress it asks for your exact measurements so it's fitted for your body. She did say that it took 6 months to get in.

I'm at the point now of looking for dresses and plan to take this route as well.

Otherwise, I've heard J Crew and BCBG have wedding dresses that are under $500 so I'll go to those stores to try them on and see what I can find online.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of buying someone else's wedding dress on ebay but that's just my preference.

• Carleen Burns
    January 2021
    Carleen Burns ·
    • Flag

Its probably easier to use a local store, as you will have sales clerks to help and recommend things, and you can know immediately by trying on before buying. That being said, some local stores can have bad exchange policies, too. I would also check with dept. store bridal shops and look for clearances there. It wouldn't hurt to look online, too, but as other have said, check that return/exchange policy carefully. I recently saw a dress on www.bravobride.com that was originally $5800 and selling for $1000. They have ALL bridal items either purchased and not used, or gently used, for sale. You can also put your stuff on their after your wedding and recoup some of those expenses!! YEAH!!

• Chanell
    Beginner June 2009
    Chanell ·
    • Flag

I haven't yet ordered my gown yet. I stumble up on this bridal store on line the have reasonable prices. I email them with questions a fast response. The store is gioavonnisbridalboutique.net they also have pictures of brides in the gowns they had made. check them out. The dresses was costing no more then 500.00. good luck

• Harper Della-Piana
    January 2021
    Harper Della-Piana ·
    • Flag

I recently started listing some of my Samples and Clearance dresses and accessories on www.etsy.com at very reduced prices. There are some very interesting Professional and Independent Designers with pages on etsy, selling everything from the traditional to the think way out of the box.

ASK Questions before you buy on any website!

• Jennifer
    Expert September 2009
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I'm just starting to look at gowns. Like you, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Two websites where I found reasonably priced dresses are:

www.houseofbrides.com

www.bridalonlinestore.com

Good luck!

• J
    Just Said Yes June 2007
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I scoured ebay for a couple of months, and noticed an abundance of beautiful Nicole Miller sheaths, new with tags. Suddenly, a Nicole Miller store opened right by my work, so I went in one day to try on their dresses. I didn't intend to try stuff on then go buy somewhere else, but I just kept my eye on ebay and managed to find the perfect dress in what I suspected would be my perfect size (since the one in the store was a teeny bit too small). I got an already inexpensive dress ($700 retail) for $200. I got it slightly altered ($70) and it was perfect!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles