Ashley
Dedicated October 2016

David's Bridal BM dress color rant.

Ashley, on May 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 23
Saved

My whole planning process I've tried to be super laid back with. I kind of had an image of how I wanted my BMs to look though. I wanted them to be in a darker beige/ tan/ light brown color with any long dress of their choice. My girls all wanted to be similar which I was fine with! Really I just wanted them to be comfortable in a dress that they didn't hate. They ended up all deciding on the Versa convertible dress from Davids Bridal. Great! Similar for them but still able to be somewhat different! The closest color we could find at Davids was biscotti. Which was a little lighter than I wanted but I was okay with it. The store didn't have the Versa dress in stock in biscotti but the consultant showed us a dress in the same fabric in the correct color. My girls all ordered their dresses that day in the biscotti color. I bought a swatch of the fabric to have incase I wanted to match anything to it. (Cont in comments)

23 Comments

Latest activity by FallforLindahl, on May 1, 2016 at 1:00 PM
  • Ashley
    Dedicated October 2016
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

Fast forward a few weeks. The dresses all start coming in. One BM got hers and sent a picture to me. The dress looked kinda light but I assumed it was just the lighting in the photo so I brushed it off. My MOH just picked hers up and when I saw it in person it was a complete different color. It's still in the brown family but it's soooo light. I held it up to the swatch I got and it's nowhere near the biscotti color. I understand sometimes dresses and different fabrics can be different shades of a color but i wish someone had mentioned that it would be so much lighter than we thought. My dress is being kept a few hours away at my moms house so I haven't had a chance to compare the color to my dress. But holding them up to my white doors in my house I'm so upset. I feel like I'm overreacting because it's a freaking BM dress that's just simply lighter than I wanted but I just didn't want their dresses to be so light! Ughh. I'm not sure what to do now. David's doesn't have any other browns I liked and almost all of the dresses have been picked up and signed for. I don't wanna make my girls go through the hassle of trying to return them and get refunds so we can start over but I'm just not happy :/

• Ashley
    Dedicated October 2016
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

Here's the difference in colors.

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

It could be a difference in fabric. The dress looks like chiffon and the swatch looks different.

• Amanda
    VIP October 2016
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

That sucks! I'm sorry this has happened & color is a huge deal when it comes to a wedding- you plan also,oat everything around colors. I don't have sent recommendations. It doesn't make sense that they'd be so different from the color swatch. If you think it will work, I'd stick with those dresses. If you can't get over it, I'd have them return & start over. Sorry!

• MsKellie
    Super October 2017
    MsKellie ·
    • Flag

Ugh- that is a huge pain in the butt considering all the thought that goes into colors. I'm sorry. For what it's worth, I think the color of the dresses you received is very pretty. I'm sure all the girls will look elegant and lovely!

• Mikayla
    VIP September 2016
    Mikayla ·
    • Flag

Agreed they look like different fabrics. To me, based on that picture, they look pretty close! I can tell you that I saw pictures of a friend of mines moms wedding. My friend wore a BM dress from David's in biscotti and it was clearly not even close to the brides white dress. I know you said you wanted a darker color but I think some of your concern is stemming from not wanting them to look like they're in white. Based on what I saw from that wedding you'll be just fine!

• N
    Master October 2016
    no1 ·
    • Flag

Is it possible the dresses can be dyed darker? You should ask. I know some tailors will do it too.

• Courtney
    Super June 2016
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

I agree with Janeen that it's probably a different fabric, which is why it is a slightly different shade. When I ordered a swatch from Azazie, they attached all the different fabrics they had available in that color and they were all slightly different shades. Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what you could/should do. I haven't used DB but returns may be difficult (I honestly don't know). I would want to put a BM dress next to my dress to compare the color before making a final decision because they could look fine next to each other!

• Swin.
    Master June 2016
    Swin. ·
    • Flag

Were there no biscotti dresses at all in the store?

• Ashley
    Dedicated October 2016
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

@Mikayla that's definitely a huge concern of mine. I don't wanna sound like a crazy bridezilla but I'm afraid of them looking close to white in the sun :/ thanks though! I'm glad to hear that someone else wore biscotti and it didn't look white Smiley smile

My dress is white so it'll definitely help them stand apart. I'm just bummed they're so light.

• Ashley
    Dedicated October 2016
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

@Swin the consultant did show us a biscotti dress in the same fabric as the dress they ordered and it was darker than these dresses! I know because I awkwardly asked my BM to stand in front of a mannequin wearing a dress similar to mine in the biscotti BM dress and took a picture to see the color lol

• Lauren
    Super June 2016
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

That is really unfortunate that they are a different color, but what you ended up with is still very pretty.

• SarahMarie
    Master May 2016
    SarahMarie ·
    • Flag

Those are 2 different fabrics, that is why they look so different. The problem I had with the light colored versa dress was that they were so thin you could see that one of my BM's had a print on their underwear. I would go back in with the dress and ask to compare it to a sample in the store.

• Swin.
    Master June 2016
    Swin. ·
    • Flag

That's so weird! It must be the different fabrics. It is dark enough, even now, that you still will stand out Smiley smile

• Elena
    Super June 2017
    Elena ·
    • Flag

I agree with a PP that it sounds like you're concerned about it looking too light next to ur white dress. Don't let it bother u too much. Even if they wore white u would still be the one standing out Smiley smile maybe focus on accessories and bouquets now to add some more contrast.. It'll be much more of a stressor IMO to return and order new dresses

• M
    Super May 2016
    Mrs. W ·
    • Flag

There swatches are always in a more satin type material which makes the color look much darker compared to the chiffon material the biscotti color is very pretty I considered picking that color until my FH told me what he wanted the guys to wear. I held the biscotti up to my ivory dress and it looked really good together

• Ashley
    Dedicated October 2016
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone! I know the girls will look great in the dresses and obviously all of my guests will know who the bride is Smiley winking it is just one of those things that is silly but weirdly kind of important to me haha! I've been trying to stay positive about it all until I can see the dresses next to my dress in person but it's been bothering me so bad.

@SarahMarie eeeek! I didn't even think to check for that hahah! I guess I'll have to tell them to all wear nude undies Smiley tongue

• Waychox3
    Master September 2016
    Waychox3 ·
    • Flag

Maybe add a darker brown sash and shoes? Like PP have said I would make their boquet darker for contrast.

• JoRocka
    Master September 2016
    JoRocka ·
    • Flag

So. I'm going to go ahead and say this. The chiffon would totally be lighter.that makes sense. But the biggest concern I would have. is they are thing to look naked from fifteen get away in that dress!

• Karen
    Expert June 2016
    Karen ·
    • Flag

I had/have a similar problem with DB. My BMs dresses are the horizon color - dress and shawl were ordered in Horizon. When my BM picked up her dress and shawl, she noticed that the shawl is not the exact same color as the dress - although both are color horizon. anywho, we think it has to do with the dress being chiffon material and the shawl being a different material. quite annoying and not as severe as your problem is.

Are all of your bridesmaids dresses the exact same color (different from the swatch)? or are they all different shades? If they are all the exact same, I'd let it go.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics