E
Just Said Yes July 2024

Dads blessing?

Emily, on April 12, 2020 at 9:07 PM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 34
Saved
Did you SO ask your dad for his blessing?

34 Comments

Latest activity by Casey, on April 23, 2020 at 6:09 PM
  • Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    He asked him about an hour or two after he proposed. My dad said he was a nervous wreck 😂😂😂.
  • Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    Before***.
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    Yes. My FH asked the week before he proposed.
  • Lisa
    Expert October 2021
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Yes! He asked my dad the same day... and my dad smacked his face *in an Italian joking way* and said “about f**king time” 😂😂 we had been together over 6 years at that point.
  • A
    Super December 2020
    Anais ·
    • Flag
    Nope. My dad isn’t traditional like that plus I personally would have hated that.
  • Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    Nope. My now husband and I decided to get married together and then told our parents. They all blessed the marriage after the engagement, but we decided to do so during a serious conversation about our future. We had been together for about 5 years at that point though. When we told my parents, my dad's response was "took you long enough" lol.
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    He didn’t aha but my dad was over the moon for us anyway and they love my husband
  • Taylor
    Dedicated June 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    Mine did.. and turned out he asked my dad’s permission the same day that my stepsister’s fiancé asked permission. That was NOT planned! Big day for my dad that day lol.
  • Miya
    Dedicated August 2021
    Miya ·
    • Flag
    Mine did a week before and my dad gave him his blessing and told him he’d have a good chance if he gave me food first 😂 😒
  • Brianna
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Brianna ·
    • Flag
    So I knew he was going to propose but he refused to give me the ring until he talked with my dad first. My dad was in tears and it was so sweet.
  • Caitlin
    Devoted September 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    Mine did, and it won huge brownie points with my parents.
  • Alejandra
    Super November 2021
    Alejandra ·
    • Flag
    He didn’t ask my mom for her blessing but he also knew that wasn’t the custom where my mom was born. She’s always told me there’s no point to asking for a blessing before a proposal since no one has accepted lol, just jokingly. We’ve agreed once this pandemic is over we’ll go out to dinner with her and my godparents (they’re my aunt and uncle and my uncle will be giving me away), to ask for their blessings.
  • Sharonda
    Rockstar January 2021
    Sharonda ·
    • Flag
    He did. He lives in Texas and my parents live in Florida. When we began talking about getting engaged, I reminded him that he needed to talk to my dad (in person). When the time came to speak to my dad, my sisters intercepted and told my fiancé not to make a trip from Texas for a conversation that would only be 2 minutes (if that — since my brother in law said his talk with my dad wasn’t more than 5 minutes). However, my fiance had trouble reaching my dad since my fiancé’s work schedule did not jive my dad’s schedule (it was hunting season), so my sisters helped to coordinate and schedule the call. Lol!
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    Nope. My dad hasn't been in the picture much though now that I'm an adult, so I just told him after the official proposal.
  • K
    Savvy October 2020
    Kim ·
    • Flag
    Yes. He didn’t want to (he has ego issues 🤦🏽‍♀️) but I made it clear how important it was that he did so....
  • Nicole
    Dedicated September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    My FH absolutely asked my dad, the day/night before he proposed. Rumor has it he knew he was going to pop the question that week and was super nervous calling my parents and talking to my dad, but they absolutely love him!
  • Karla
    Super February 2020
    Karla ·
    • Flag
    Yup, my fiancé asked for both my parents’ permission a few weeks before we left for our vacation to New York (where he proposed).

It was important for my fiancé and he knew it was important for me that he did.
  • Jeni
    Devoted July 2021
    Jeni ·
    • Flag
    Nope. I am not property, so the only person who he needed to ask was me. My parents are very traditional and religious, but I've shared with them in the past that I don't like that tradition and if anyone asked them before asking me, I would be very offended.

My FH and I have been together 6 years and have vacationed with each other's families, so our engagement was expected. Everyone was super excited when we told them.
  • Addy
    Beginner October 2021
    Addy ·
    • Flag
    My FH asked about my dad about 20 minutes (yes, minutes!) before he proposed. My dad’s response? “Yeah man! It’s about time!” 😂
  • A
    Super October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    No, he knew that would not have been okay with me at all. I wouldn’t have reacted well to that. As someone else stated, the only one who had to give permission was me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics