Skip to main content
Erica
Beginner August 2021

Colored Wedding Dress?

Erica, on August 25, 2020 at 3:33 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 19
Saved
Anyone out there go a little non traditional and choose something besides the classic white or ivory? I tried on probably 50-60 dresses searching for something I thought looked good on me, was comfortable, and felt like I could dance in. I had a pretty long checklist of things (lightweight for summer, sparkly, girly, not too formal fitting a DIY barn-ish wedding) and FINALLY I found something I didn’t want to take off. It’s layers of white lace and glitter tulle finished off with a top layer of floral lace with shades of blue roses. I love love love it. My parents and sister loved it. I think my fiancé will love it. However, i don’t feel like I want to show my fiancé’s family before the wedding because of the likely comments on not being a “real” wedding dress. (He’s wearing a suit, not a tux) Anyone deal with wedding dress haters? I’m wearing it regardless of the comments lol Colored Wedding Dress? 1

Colored Wedding Dress? 2

19 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on August 26, 2020 at 2:34 PM
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Yes. We are leaning towards going very offbeat and casual with our attire. I've tried on countless wedding gowns as well and I never felt beautiful in any of them.
    I may not have to deal with comments because we are leaning towards eloping with or without our parents.
  • Neeva
    VIP September 2020
    Neeva ·
    • Flag

This is so beautiful and awesome! I like it looks very bridal still even though it's a floral pattern. Definitely rock it if it's what you love!!

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online ·
    • Flag
    That is a super pretty dress!! You definitely don't have to show it to your fiance's family if you think they'll respond negatively. If they ask about it, I would just tell them that you're keeping the dress a secret until the wedding, and that you are so excited about the dress you picked. Your opinion of it is the only one that matters!
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

That is a fantastic wedding dress! I wouldn't show them and make it a surprise.

• Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Gorgeous dress!
    Many brides opt for bold colors. White/ivory is a modern fashion statement from the early 1900s after Queen Victoria in the late 1800s introduced the white dress as a sign of wealth since only royalty could afford a new dress that only be worn one day out of their lives. Prior to that, brides commonly wore colored dresses (no white) they already owned.
    Asian brides customarily wear red as a symbol of love and passion.
    Offbeatbride.com has countless brides in colored dresses.
    Personally I have never entertained the idea of a white/cream dress because it makes me look paler than I already am. That's not a look anyone wants on their wedding day.Wear what you love and ignore the naysayers.
  • Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    Love your dress!! So pretty and unique!! And it can be your “Something blue”!
    I totally understand what you mean about not wanting to show others your wedding dress. I have decided to get a nontraditional dress as well. I don’t think it will come as a huge surprise to MY family (they are used to me being non-traditional and wearing nothing but black, so I’m sure they do not anticipate me wearing a white dress LOL), but I’m not sure how FH’s family will feel about it. I think everyone always expects the bride to be in a traditional white gown, so when you go with color I totally think you should keep it a surprise! It’s so much more fun that way! Plus, If they know ahead of time people may have comments/opinions on the dress, whereas no one is likely going to give you any negative feedback on your wedding day lol
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

Omg i love that dress !

my old boss actually had a purple wedding dress

• M
    Dedicated May 2021
    Maybride ·
    • Flag
    Oh I love this dress!! Who is the designer? I wouldn’t worry about it not being ‘traditional’ at the end of the day everyone is there to celebrate you and your partner, not gawk at water you are or are not wearing (ok gawk a little bit lol)
  • Erica
    Beginner August 2021
    Erica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks everyone! I wish there was a ❤️ I could press on the comments! I think my future MIL might be shocked, but she’d end up fine with it after she processed the idea of something outside of the typical lol Overall she’s just excited for the wedding (and since my FH is an only child this is her one and only chance) and she knows her son isn’t one to always go by the “rules”.
    My aunt is a professional bridal seamstress and will be doing my alterations, so she’s seen the dress (and loved it), but I’ve asked her to keep it a surprise!
  • Erica
    Beginner August 2021
    Erica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I‘m not sure it’s available any more. I got it like 2 days before the bridal sale ended. IG’s from shoprevelry.com I actually found it while browsing for bridesmaid dresses. (If you need bridesmaid dresses they have an at-home try one option!)
  • Jasmine
    Master August 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag

That's really pretty! Congrats!

• Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a ·
    • Flag

Awe I love it 😍😍😍

• Jai
    VIP May 2020
    Jai ·
    • Flag
    Super pretty!
  • Ingrid
    VIP October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    That's a beautifully, unique dress. I went off the beaten path and got a black dress. I knew once I put it on it was for sure the dress for me. I didn't want to take it off. It's your day, wear what makes you feel confident, comfortable in your own skin and sexy.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    It’s soooooo pretty! 💙
  • Sarah
    Super August 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I think its gorgeous
  • Bo Miller
    Expert December 2020
    Bo Miller ·
    • Flag

It is so pretty and looks great on you!

• Alexandria
    Expert November 2020
    Alexandria ·
    • Flag

This dress is STUNNING! No matter what anyone else thinks about "a real wedding dress" if this is the dress you love and want to wear i absolutely think you should. It's your day, not theirs. And you said your fiance will like it so that's all that matters! Smiley smile You look amazing in this dress!

• Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag
    It's a gorgeous dress! And you look happy and beautiful! I wore a lavender gown for my wedding! It's fun 🥰

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics