Jessica and Rashad
Savvy May 2018

Collecting Addresses

Jessica and Rashad, on November 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 36
Saved Save

I still need a lot of addresses on my guest list and I want to send out save-the-dates. I'm really a "do it yourself" type of bride, but I just can't think of a proactive way to get addresses from both sides of the family.

I thought about doing a Facebook post, but I do not want all of the people on my friends list to think it is open invitation because it absolutely is not.

Help!! What was the easiest/quickest way to collect your addresses?

36 Comments

• Maya
    Dedicated October 2018
    Maya ·
    • Flag

The Knot has an address form that was super easy to collect address from everyone. You can sen out the link via messanger, text or email to all you guestlist people. It surprisingly only took about 2 days to get all 150 people to submit their info.

• FutureMrsN
    Super October 2018
    FutureMrsN ·
    • Flag

I'm asking FH to gather some, my FSIL (also a bridesmaid) to help with others, my mother for our family, and I'm FBing any friends I can. I started early though.

• Maya
    Dedicated October 2018
    Maya ·
    • Flag

For the elderly members coming. We just called and got their addresses. My mom amd his mom had all the family addresses already.

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

Ask the parents and grandparents on both sides. They are more likely to still keep an address book.

There's nothing wrong with sending an email telling people you are updating your address book and asking them to confirm their mailing address. You can blind copy everyone on the same email.

• Ms. Kika
    Savvy May 2018
    Ms. Kika ·
    • Flag

I have most of ours because I maintain my address book for Birthday and Christmas cards. Most of our family hasn't moved in YEARS. For the others, I just sent individual texts and FB messages. On FH side, FSIL is collecting what I need.

If you want to, you could send a group FB message but I've gotten those and they're annoying when I don't leave the convo fast enough and everyone starts responding.

• Mrs. B to Be
    Beginner August 2018
    Mrs. B to Be ·
    • Flag

We're doing online save the dates through Paperless Post. After opening the email the card asks recipients to provide their mailing address. Then we can use the addresses for mailing the invitations. I know this doesn't really help for mailing physical save the dates, but maybe you could get addresses by emailing everyone?

• NancyCtoA
    Devoted May 2018
    NancyCtoA ·
    • Flag

We're asking parents and then just texting/calling friends. Thankfully I maintain a decent list for holiday cards, so we aren't missing many.

Wedding Wire does have the ability to manage your list and RSVP's, plus send emails to collect addresses (and then everything updates automatically).

• Tiffany
    Savvy May 2018
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag

Message them or ask other relatives who might keep a address book

• lilam18
    Expert July 2018
    lilam18 ·
    • Flag

Just call/text them. Send your save the dates when you get a critical mass, and send out the additional ones as you receive addresses.

• H
    November 2018
    happeningmom ·
    • Flag

If the person owns a house you can always go on the property appraiser website and enter their name stop get their addresses.

• Future Mrs. G
    VIP February 2018
    Future Mrs. G ·
    • Flag

I don't think you need to have a reason like updating your address book. Just ask them for their address.

• Aly
    Expert June 2018
    Aly ·
    • Flag

I texted individuals for their addresses or obtained them from my parents. I made my FH collect all of the addresses for his side.

• edecker
    Super May 2020
    edecker ·
    • Flag

Send out individual Facebook messages, emails, or texts. I think wedding wire might have a tool to help with this, but I'm not sure. A great idea would be to send out pretty e-vites requesting addresses letting them know they have a special surprise coming their way!

• bluevelvet
    Devoted October 2017
    bluevelvet ·
    • Flag

Don't put a message on FB - don't put anything wedding related on FB, actually. Ask family to ask others, message them privately on FB if needed. Email is good too!

• Ryan&Jess
    Expert August 2018
    Ryan&Jess ·
    • Flag

I facebook messaged/texted most of our guests. There were a few I had FH ask himself since he is closer with some.

• SoontobeMrs.Young
    Savvy March 2018
    SoontobeMrs.Young ·
    • Flag

Grandma's and mom's usually have most of our family addresses. I used private Facebook messages for the rest.

• Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag

I had most of our guests emails so I did a mail merge and sent out one email to everyone (not in a group email!!!). Those who I didn't have emails for, we facebook messaged.

• Ks_catonlap
    Super October 2017
    Ks_catonlap ·
    • Flag

I just texted and called people.

• charms88
    Savvy August 2018
    charms88 ·
    • Flag

We also asked our parents for most of the addresses and then branched out from there to Facebook and we individually messaged everyone there as we're wanting a smaller wedding.

• MDEasternShoreBride
    VIP October 2017
    MDEasternShoreBride ·
    • Flag

We sent out emails from the website to get everyone's addresses. They put them in themselves, very convenient, except the website wouldn't print them out address label style.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics