We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Allison
Dedicated December 2020

Choosing Wedding Colors

Allison, on January 10, 2020 at 6:24 PM Posted in Style and Décor 0 30
Saved Save

This could be a dumb question, but if I can't ask it here then where can I ask it? Y'all always seem to make me feel better. How did you choose your wedding colors? Are they just your favorite colors or do you just feel they fit best with the season?

I seriously have not had an easy decision this entire planning process. From our venue, to our wedding party, to the colors it's all been difficult.

My favorite color is purple and our original wedding date was in May. I planned on our colors being lilac, grey, and dusty blue. Now that we're getting married in December, I'm unsure of what to do. I found some colors I liked, burgundy and mauve, but I still really love the idea of lilac. I just don't know how I would incorporate that in because originally it was my main color. What do y'all think?

30 Comments

• Tina
    VIP March 2020
    Tina ·
    • Flag
    I think those colours (lilac, Grey etc) would be beautiful for a winter wedding! Go with what you like not because of a “season”. My colours are mint green and purple with hints of other spring colours but that’s because that’s what I was attracted too!
  • Tina
    VIP March 2020
    Tina ·
    • Flag
    Choosing Wedding Colors 1
    Choosing Wedding Colors 2

Choosing Wedding Colors 3

Choosing Wedding Colors 4

Here are some inspo pics
  • Meghan
    Beginner May 2021
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    I've been panicing over colors myself lately and I feel like I've not started anywhere 😅 but I am looking in kind of the same color area as you are and hope this helps out a bit!! Maybe not the flowers, but I really liked the color combination at the bottom! Good luck 💜
    Choosing Wedding Colors 5

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I just have always loved mint. And felt it went best with blush. I wanted my colors to be light and soft.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I chose my favorite color because honestly it’s just the color I’ve always imagined using for my wedding 😂 growing up I actually always imagined I’d have a summer beach wedding so that’s the color I visualized using for that. Ended up not having a beach wedding but still kept the color lol. And actually when we were debating June vs September one of the things in my “pro” column for June was that my color works better for spring/summer hahaha (obviously not the deciding factor, but it was useful) Knowing how set my heart was on the color though, I almost definitely would’ve used it regardless of the season (even though it’s better for spring/summer). Weirdly, the color is I think literally THE ONLY thing about my “original” wedding vision (from prior to actually starting to plan) that stuck 😂Choosing Wedding Colors 6

• Terra
    Expert September 2020
    Terra ·
    • Flag
    Season, shmeason. Do what makes you happy!
  • Stefanie
    Just Said Yes February 2020
    Stefanie ·
    • Flag
    I couldn’t decide on colors until I figured out my centerpieces. Once that was decided everything fell into place.
  • Don
    Super February 2021
    Don ·
    • Flag
    Hi Allison,
    I'm getting married in Feb. 2021, I'm going with my favorite colors even in winter, like you, I love lilac, I'm mixing in some lavender and a bit of grey, my bridesmaids are wearing lilac, if you want to Google it, jjshouse, style 105912, if you click on the colors box, you'll see all the choices, if you look, please tell me what you think of the 👗 dress!!
    Good luck, go with our favorite color!

• Sarah
    Devoted March 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I choose my colors red, yellowish gold, and blue, so my fiancé and I went with Beauty and the Beast theme.
    For you, you can still use lilac as your main color if you would like, it is your wedding, so what if it is in December. If you like your original color scheme just go for it, that will be less stressful.
  • Christel
    Savvy October 2020
    Christel ·
    • Flag
    I personally decided I wanted a dark moody romantic wedding (not halloweeny) my wedding is in october so it's starting to cool off so I felt like the theme went well. So I was looking for dark colors and ran across navy chargers for next to nothing on clearance. And took it from there here are some picks of what we are having... the cake will have flowers that match our flowers....Choosing Wedding Colors 7

Choosing Wedding Colors 8

Choosing Wedding Colors 9

Choosing Wedding Colors 10

• Christel
    Savvy October 2020
    Christel ·
    • Flag
    What about something like this??? Choosing Wedding Colors 11

• Erin
    Rockstar April 2022
    Erin ·
    • Flag

Colors don't have to be season-specific Smiley smile. We're getting married in June and I picked Burgundy and Olive (which are typically considered winter or fall colors) Burgundy is my favorite color, and Olive is his, and they happen to go well together. Just go with whatever you like. (plus you can get decorations in your color on sale when stores consider them "out of season" xD)

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith Online ·
    • Flag
    The Aurora Borealis, the lights in the sky in the north in winter, are an inspiration to look at. Often they are filmed with strong filters to bring more saturated colors, neon pink, Cobalt blue, neon green. Looking at the real thing, they are mostly a variety of blue shades, of pinks, pale grey looking almost white against the dark sky, shades of orchid, lilac, lavender, light plum streaking to bright pink. And a distinctive aqua and fuchsia pink. They are very easy to suggest with uplighting over one wall and the ceiling or in sconces where they streak up a wall. The grey blue and lilac are lovely winter colors. I get tired of everything red, green, and gold in December. Go Choosing Wedding Colors 12

Choosing Wedding Colors 13

Choosing Wedding Colors 14

Choosing Wedding Colors 15

Choosing Wedding Colors 16

cool and elegant! You know, the St. Nicholas stories came with Christianity to Europe. But for at least a couple thousand years before that, Saami people ( Swedish call us Lapps) had a legend of our goddess who created us all, taking her daughter down to earth each year , riding in a sled made of whale jawbones and caribou ribs covered with furs, riding down the Northern lights to the encampments and villages, on the longest night of the year. Winter Solstice, at the Arctic Circle, the sun never rises. Further north, many days when the sun never shines. But not quite dark. That far north a little light comes over the top of the world, bouncing off clouds in the heavens. Much of the Santa Claus legend comes from that Solstice tale. The lights can make you believe in magic. Very strong in N. Canada, Greenland, and Saamiland in northern Scandinavia. Google images, if you are not familiar. And at night, you see Arctic hares and foxes, all white, their fur bathed in the colored lights, and silhouettes of anything moving around, against the light .
  • Flame Princess
    Dedicated April 2021
    Flame Princess ·
    • Flag
    I work with trees and am o b s e s s e d with this variety we grow in our fields. It does consist of a lot of my favorite colors, so I built on that. Im still changing colors here and there, but those are mostly accents so I know what color table cloths and runners to order.

Brackens Brown Beauty Magnolia: Choosing Wedding Colors 17

• Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    We based our color palette off of what worked with our venue. We had originally picked colors before deciding on the venue, but they would clash, so we switched to something that would complement the ballroom. Easier to change the colors of the wedding than the color of the carpet! Lol.
  • Andrea
    Super May 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    I think you should go with the colors you love. I initially planned on getting married in March (in Chicago) so definitely still winter and was planning on doing grey, greenery and varying shades of blue. We pushed our wedding to May and i thought those colors were to winter and not spring so I was switching to blush and lavender and shades I liked but was not in love with. I actually read a post on here about the same issue and decided “yes! I should do whatever colors I want!”
    Who cares if you have hot pink in the winter or red in the spring? The wedding should look like you and your fiancé, represent your tastes. If you choose colors for the season alone it will just be a cookie cutter wedding that anyone could be placed in as the bride and groom. You want your wedding to scream Allison! (And you fiancé) use your colors girl 💗💗
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    I think our colors are black and silver... but my bridesmaids are in pink, blue, purple and real. I needed more color than just one in my life.
  • Jessica
    Savvy July 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I choose Burgundy Burlap and Lace for my spring wedding. I didn't plan for the season. I love the color Burgundy. It's a very romantic color in my opinion. I love the colors Lilac and Grey together. I feel like even in winter it makes the color even more romantic. Don't change your colors if you have your heart set on them. Its your special day. Make it what you want not what other think it should be.

• Allison
    Dedicated December 2020
    Allison ·
    • Flag

Y'all this was seriously SO helpful! Thank you so much. I was definitely overthinking things and it really should be about us and our likes!

• Allison
    Dedicated December 2020
    Allison ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you so much! I love the inspiration pics. You're so right, I can still use them and make them transition from spring to winter just fine.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles