We have a wedding weekend planned at an inn in the Catskills for 10/10. It's a small wedding with just 65 invites, but we're worried that the affects of Coronavirus will cause us to have to cancel. The plan was to have my family fly in from Florida and my fiancé's family an our friends to drive 2.5 hours from NYC. They would get in Friday night for a welcome dinner and then the wedding would be Saturday night.
We signed a contract in December and our first deposit is scheduled for next Friday. Additionally, we can cancel the wedding now without having to pay a fee, but if we cancel after next Friday, we're obligated to pay 25% of the reception. So we feel crunched to make a decision now before we're responsible for the cancellation fee.
I know October is a long ways away, but I'm worried that if Coronavirus makes a resurgence in September, people may choose not to come. Considering our wedding is so small to begin with, we need 30 people to fill the rooms at the inns and cottages for both Friday and Saturday night or we're responsible to pay for them. This could add thousands of dollars to our wedding.
Even if Coronavirus doesn't come back, with all the weddings that are now moved to October and the fact that a lot of our friends and family are hurting financially, I feel like our wedding will be the easiest to say no to. We could never blame our guests for not wanting to travel from far away to spend 2 full days at an inn in close living quarters.
But if we get below 45 people, our wedding is no longer financially viable as we need to hit a minimum for the food. I also am worried about the people traveling from Florida (including my mom and sisters) as well as people being uncomfortable living in houses with each other in this new climate. This wedding was already stretching our budget and with all these chances for higher costs and an awful wedding, I'm worried that we end up with a nightmare scenario come October.
So do I cancel the dream wedding weekend out of caution and elope with close friends and family (saving thousands of dollars and potential heartache) or do I take a chance and hope that this virus goes away and the dream wedding goes off as planned?