Mykeetah
Savvy March 2022

Bridesmaids

Mykeetah, on September 20, 2021 at 6:40 AM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 58

Am I out of line for asking the bridesmaids to have hair/makeup and nails done? Nothing over the top... everyone messy updo bun, natural daytime makeup (airbrush for those who don't really do makeup) and nails unison... and for the reception I want to do a cute funny routine,I was told by one that...
Am I out of line for asking the bridesmaids to have hair/makeup and nails done? Nothing over the top... everyone messy updo bun, natural daytime makeup (airbrush for those who don't really do makeup) and nails unison... and for the reception I want to do a cute funny routine,I was told by one that I'm doing to much

58 Comments

• Valerie
    Beginner September 2024
    Valerie ·
    • Flag
    I like what people are saying about covering costs, but I’d like to add another idea! Maybe you could ask your mom or mother in law or a trusted friend to help with everyone’s hair and makeup. Someone who has good style and taste is those things. Or you could do it yourself if you have enough getting ready time! Just remember hygiene, cleaning brushes between people and all that. Smiley smile
  • Haley
    Dedicated October 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    This can be tricky for some brides. I am a control freak and If I’ve learned one thing throughout wedding planning it is that getting the opinions of your bridal party is important because yes they are participating in your big day but you also want them to be/feel comfortable.

Something I did when I did my bridesmaid proposals was I typed out what costs I would cover, the costs I expected them to cover, every event they needed to attend (time, date, dress code if there is one) and I also included that I have hired a day of wedding stylist and a friend of mine will be doing makeup. I put check boxes under this and had my girls check off if they’d like their hair and makeup done by the 2 people I’ve provided. Under that I stated clearly that if they choose not to use the services I’m providing that they were to cover cost of a different professional on their own or they can go without if they wanted. Because my bridal party is big I found this SUPER helpful while planning and it also made my bridal party feel super included. I did this for my fiancé’s groomsmen as well. Down to dresses, shoes and accessories I let my whole bridal party know my “terms” if you will and after going over them they could either tell me yes I’d love to be in your wedding, or respectfully decline. None of them declined and the transparency I’ve had with them has made this process run so smoothly. Just food for thought!
  • Mykeetah
    Savvy March 2022
    Mykeetah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Damn Haley, I wished I asked this question months ago, I definitely would have gone your route!!!
  • Mykeetah
    Savvy March 2022
    Mykeetah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    🥰❤🥰❤ thank you I didn't think of that
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Anything you require that alters their appearance, you must pay for. Not everyone is comfortable with public performances.
  • Mykeetah
    Savvy March 2022
    Mykeetah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, I am providing all that, sorry I've been at work all day so I can't respond to all the messages but, only one person complained actually everyone else is on board with all the ideas. You are right about public performances as well, now that I didn't think about
  • Haley
    Dedicated October 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m a planner so typing everything out is just in my nature. But I definitely recommend for every bride to try and be as transparent in the beginning as possible. It leaves little to no confusion when it comes to costs and services! I hope your day runs smoothly and everybody is okay with whatever outcome comes about!
  • Mykeetah
    Savvy March 2022
    Mykeetah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much... I'm restructuring now
  • Haley
    Dedicated October 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes ma’am you’re welcome! And If you have anymore questions or would like examples of the text I gave to my bridesmaids I’d be happy to help!
  • Y
    Just Said Yes November 2022
    Yarelis ·
    • Flag
    Personally I’ve never been a bridesmaid but if I was and the bride told me I had to get all dolled up and I was paying for it I would be upset because as a bride you should cover costs for all that since it’s your day and not theirs and they’re just showing up because they love you I would say that it’s enough. It’s out of line because the one who told you it is probably doesn’t want to be involved in the routine I’m sure she will get dolled up though like who doesn’t?? And congratulations on your engagement!!
  • Y
    Yarelis ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is a smart idea! Thank you for this. I have not properly asked my bridesmaids and this is actually nice!
  • Mykeetah
    Savvy March 2022
    Mykeetah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes please!!!!!!!!
  • Mykeetah
    Savvy March 2022
    Mykeetah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I guess I should have been clearer I have never said I wasn't paying for anything... the who said I'm doing to much is actually the matron of honor and had no issues with anything just actually started being negative all around. Thank you for congratulations
  • Mykeetah
    Savvy March 2022
    Mykeetah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Well, I have no problem with the bill, the hair nail and everything would be done all together to make sure it's a smooth look, everyone is on board except one, my matron of honor, my cousin/best friend who has been second guessing me the entire planning process, all the other girls are down for everything. She is the only one who always has something to say and has me second guessing myself.
    The choreograph all the girls thought would be fun except her, that's where the I'm doing to much came from
  • Y
    Yarelis ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    OMG girl no! Be like water and let that GO! No negative vibes anywhere for that day!!! It’s your wedding (like I’m already stressed about mine!!!) and you want that then so be it🙏🏼❤️ Blessings on Blessings!!! Sorry I misunderstood you queen 🥲
  • Mykeetah
    Savvy March 2022
    Mykeetah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I definitely have no intentions on forcing anyone to do anything, everyone but one individual was down for it. Only one has an opinion on everything
  • Haley
    Dedicated October 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You’re welcome! 🤍
  • Jaisa
    Just Said Yes February 2022
    Jaisa ·
    • Flag
    I actually have requested this of by bridesmaids to have their hair, makeup, and nails done and provided them with the pricing option so for example I suggested that everybody get their hair professionally done but they can wear it however they want. I know some of my bridesmaids are good at doing their own makeup so I didn’t care about that as much but they all opted to pay for their own hair and makeup considering how I would not be able to afford my hair, makeup, and nails plus 4 others. I am purchasing their getting ready pajamas, bag, and jewelry for that day because that is what I can afford with our budget. Don’t feel bad if you cannot pay for that huge extra bill.
  • Breanna
    Just Said Yes May 2022
    Breanna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    THIS!!!!

I was in a wedding that required nails to be done however we were told this over text 8 months before the wedding. No reminders were sent out. Day of I show up to get ready and the bride freaks out on me because my nails weren’t nude like she previously asked. She made me paint over a fresh pedicure even just to make sure everyone matched. Just so we’re clear… the bridesmaid dresses were long and you couldn’t see our toes anyway.
  • Kezia
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Kezia ·
    • Flag

Wanting similar hair, nails, and make-up styles for your bridesmaids is different than requiring they pay for professional services. Many women can do their own hair/nails/make-up without taking on the additional cost of professional services which adds up. They've already paid for dresses, maybe shoes, under garments, jewelry, and likely gifts, bridal shower and/or bachelorette party for you. Being in a wedding should be a sign of someone's joy for and loyalty to you at one of the happiest moments of your life. Do your best not to make it a financial burden or cost prohibitive for those who love and will walk along side you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics