We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Diane
Savvy October 2021

Bridesmaids Dresses

Diane, on August 4, 2020 at 7:19 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 25
Saved Save
I’m in my mid 40s, my Matron of Honor is in her mid 50s and my bridesmaid is also in her mid 40s. Fashion for my girls has become quite the challenge. Because of our ages most of the “standard” bridesmaids dresses are way too inappropriate (very low back/no back high slits or both), even if we were younger I’d find it inappropriate (this coming from the girl that wanted the November Rain dress when she was 18... irony ). Also I don’t like them at all, they all look the same and I’m not crazy about chiffon for the look of my wedding. I looked at evening wear a lot of it is either too mother of the bride/golden girls or too expensive.

I did find this dress from Lula Kate that I really love, when I ordered swatches from them they informed me that they’re closing down production until after the pandemic I know my wedding is a year and 2 months away so technically “I have time”, I live in NJ and the governor is itching to shut everything down again. I’m somewhat of a control freak so purchasing fashion online is not an option, they have to try dresses on and I have to approve. I was hoping someone might know of a designer that has a dress in a similar style in a light blue or platinum.Bridesmaids Dresses 1

25 Comments

Latest activity by Diane, on August 7, 2020 at 6:22 PM
  • M
    Super January 2019
    Maggie Online ·
    • Flag

You do have plenty of time, so I would set this aside right now and plan to go shopping together when it's safe (assuming you all live in the same area). Why stress yourself out about a solvable problem that can wait?

And when you are ready to go shopping, skip all of the bridal stores and boutiques that sell either bridesmaid dress or mother-of-the-bride dresses. Pick a store you already like for special occasion dresses (like Macy's or Nordstrom) and you will be able to find something you all like. Bonus: you won't have to special order anything and they will have plenty of time for alterations if needed.

• Diane
    Savvy October 2021
    Diane ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Considering different body types I do not think that will work. Plus trying to find the color I want makes it a bigger challenge (although my MOH was hoping for black, not happening). My plan was to go to a store by myself and pick no more than 5 dresses and go back with them to try them on (I admit to being a control freak). Seeing what’s out there, I don’t know where to go.

The store I went to for my gown is not doing bridesmaids dresses now and I don’t like the designers they have. Their evening wear left a lot to be desired and was too expensive ($800 and up). I told my girls that if I picked a dress that was more than $300 I’d pay the difference but that’s too big of a difference for my budget.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think it's crazy to expect your girls to pay the first $300 unless they agreed to that price because that's very expensive for a dress they will likely never wear again. Since you have a lot of different body types, I would consider letting them pick their own dress as long as it is the same color, fabric and length.

• Diane
    Savvy October 2021
    Diane ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    They were expecting the dresses to be a lot more.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I don't know where you are looking at dresses, but $300 is on the rather expensive end for bridesmaids dresses. Have you looked on Azazie at their dresses to see if you like anything? They have literally hundreds of dresses and they other the option to try on before you buy.

• Jana
    Rockstar October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    That dress is gorgeous. I agree with you on both counts that trying dresses on in person is a must have and many styles are not that flattering or appropriate.

With over a year away, I would wait until they open again. If you love that one. Another option is to browse bridesmaids.com which has all the major labels and you might find something there or look outside the box at a department store that carries formal dresses.
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    You have time to chose the dresses for your bridal party. I’m getting married in April & we don’t plan on looking until November/December. I don’t like the look of chiffon either. My girls will be wearing red but they get to chose the style. One of my bridesmaids has had a double mastectomy so I have no idea what to pick for her. That’s why I decided they would choose. We’re going to shop Dillard’s or some type of department stores.
  • H
    Super June 2019
    Hanna Online ·
    • Flag

I would recommend looking at Azazie or Dessy. So many styles to choose from for all ages and all body types. Yes, it's online, but there is an at-home try on option, so you can try the exact style in person before you buy.

• Diane
    Savvy October 2021
    Diane ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I just looked at almost 300 dresses on Azazie, they don’t have anything that fits the style of my wedding. Most of the dresses look the same as all the other designers.
  • Diane
    Savvy October 2021
    Diane ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t know what state you live in, I’m in NJ and we’re under the constant threat that the governor will shut things down again. I have a feeling it’s coming around Labor Day and could be for a long time if there’s a second wave. That’s why I went and got my gown as soon as he let the stores open up.
  • Jana
    Rockstar October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Another option is to have dresses custom made by a local seamstress if you don't find anything for sale you like. Take in a picture and have it recreated to your specifications.
  • Gloria
    Dedicated November 2020
    Gloria ·
    • Flag

I loved the November Rain dress too! Smiley laugh

• M
    Super January 2019
    Maggie Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow, I hope all of your bridesmaids were informed in advance how expensive it will be to participate in your wedding. Good luck with your search for the perfect dress and with your wedding planning.

• Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    The best thing I can suggest would be to pick one color preferably black and have them select any bridesmaids dress from David’s bridal. If you’re really that much of a control freak yes you can dictate the length and fabric, but I’d strongly suggest that you might want to look up Google images of bridal parties that have different dress types. In my opinion, and bridal parties have all black dresses that are all different I think it looks beautiful. As you know, women come in all different shapes and sizes. The odds of you finding a dress that is going to work best for everyone is nearly impossible. And trust me no matter how good the dress actually looks on them, if they don’t like it, you won’t like it either because it will show that they don’t like the dress in their face. So again just try to google image photos of bridesmaids with different style dresses And it may help ease your mind.
  • Diane
    Savvy October 2021
    Diane ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Black does not go with the theme of our wedding so that is not happening. The color and style of the dresses has to match the theme and style of the wedding. Different dresses will make them look like they are going to two different weddings. I’ve looked at David’s Bridal online and half the dresses have high slits, most are chiffon and quite frankly there’s not a single one I can even say “that’s not bad” to. Spaghetti straps are out, anything appearing belted is out(MOH request), no puffy sleeves (BM request although without a time machine to go back to the 80s I don’t think I could find puffy sleeves if I wanted to) I don’t like the high neck halters held up by string, I also don’t like one shoulder.
  • Yvonne
    Savvy October 2021
    Yvonne ·
    • Flag
    That's nice. But I am too in my early 40s and me and bridesmaids love the slits. You can have a classy look with this also for our age. Times have changed a lot and remember we set the fashion tone. Lol
  • S
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

Love love love this dress.

• Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow! This is certainly an interesting opinion. Well good luck and I guess the only piece of advice left to give you is to remind you that the people in your bridal party are your loved ones(I think) and they’re not props for your ‘theme’. That’s typically what the decor is for. Have you expressed all of these concerns to your bridal party? If not, I strongly advise speaking all of this to them in advance just so they know what they’re getting themselves into. Best of luck and congrats.
  • J
    Just Said Yes March 2020
    Jenna ·
    • Flag
    I definitely recommend allowing the girls to find a style that they like best but all in the same color.. JJs house is great for that and about average prices.. I agree it’s hard to find modest dresses but I found them for my girls at David’s. It’s important that they can try on styles too, but I agree with others you have plenty of time despite the pandemic!
  • Priscilla
    Dedicated September 2020
    Priscilla ·
    • Flag
    Maybe camille lavie in secaucus, nj...although i just checked website looks like temporarily closed...but maybe take a look there

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles