Emily
Dedicated April 2022

Bridesmaid robes or shirts?

Emily, on May 6, 2021 at 3:48 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 31
Saved Save
Which one is more worth it/fun? I've been thinking of doing robes for all 6 of my bridesmaids but thinking in order to save money I should just go with cute t-shirts. Which did you decide to do? Or did you go with something different that you'd like to share?

31 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on May 12, 2021 at 6:09 PM
  • L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

We just got ready in whatever was comfortable. the photographer took a couple of pictures while we were getting hair done and stuff but otherwise it was no big deal. I've never had to do the matching getting ready stuff for a wedding as a BM.

• Catherine
    Expert March 2023
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    I would ask your bridesmaids which ones their more comfortable with. Some may not like the idea of just a robe as that could be a bit more “revealing”. A shirt or pj set could cover move or be looser to cover areas your bridesmaids might not want showing like tighter fitting robes would. Especially if you have any plus sized girls as most robes don’t go to bigger sizes.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Are these for getting ready? Button up shirts work better than tshirts which have to be cut down the front to avoid ruining hair and makeup and are less revealing than robes.

Don’t personalize the button ups with names/titles. Tshirts are fine for a bachelorette but they will only be worn the one time.
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

I got matching silk pajama sets for my bridesmaids to wear while getting ready and they were a big hit! They buttoned in the front which made it super easy to change out of after getting hair and makeup done. Robes can also be a good option because they won't mess up makeup/hair. If you do tee-shirts I'd recommend getting button up ones so that they can be easily taken off afterwards

• V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    I bought robes for my girls. I don't think I would ndo t-shirts because they are harder to take off without messing up hair or makeup.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    There are ‘bridesmaid’ robes on Etsy etc that are available in plus sizes but they are all very short. Even some ladies who are not on the heavier side will be uncomfortable with showing that much skin. Target and Walmart sell floor length plush robes in all sizes that can be used again without any names/titles added on to limit wearability.
  • Catherine
    Expert March 2023
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, but even those don’t go up past a size 20 or so. Which is great but not completely inclusive in the plus size community. Two of my girls are a 24/26 and I wouldn’t be comfortable with a size 20 robe either even though I’m not very big, my boobs are just huge. And yes, they are veeeeeery short.
    I’m not a huge fan of long robes. So based on those alone, I decided for me, I’d pitch getting ready pj sets with their names on the pants from Amazon or something. And they can be taken off and on easily with buttons.
  • Catherine
    Expert March 2023
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    They have button downs!
  • Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's goodSmiley smile I haven't done it either but I think it's a cute idea if people like that kind of thing. I want to make sure my bridesmaids are comfortable and happy being there.
  • Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree,I haven't really looked into the pj sets thing because most of my bridesmaids have had kids and are a bit more heavy right now. But I think asking them is a great ideaSmiley smile thank you
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I would rather a shirt than robe

• Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm not sure yet. I think I want to get myself a robe as the bride but wasn't sure if I wanted to have my bridesmaids match for getting ready photos or just have them wear whatever or try and find matching shirts just for photo purposes. I like your idea about button ups and makes a lot of sense! Thank you.
  • Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Where did you get the pj sets from? I would consider finding button up sets as well for easy changing.
  • Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Did you personalize their robes or leave them plain?
  • Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ooh I didn't know target had something like that! Thank you that is really helpfulSmiley smile you never can tell what you're buying online so this would be perfect!
  • Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Good to know. Yeah it's hard to find that kind of cutesy stuff for real women like us haha. Ok thats good advice! Thank you
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I had them personalized.
  • Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Botton downs are way more convenient than tshirts.
  • Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Melle!Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Dedicated April 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Good to know! Thank you! I do like the idea of personalizing things