Emmerdoodle
Expert April 2014

Brides sick to their stomachs

Emmerdoodle, on October 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM Posted in Planning 0 38
Saved Save

Hello Ladies! I've been hearing a lot about the weddings of some of my coworkers lately, and I've noticed an interesting trend.

Bride #1 was so nervous, she threw up, and her mother had to give her 2 (!!) Valium to get her through the day.

Brides #2 and 3 also threw up every morning the week before their weddings out of nerves.

I hadn't given it much thought, really, but I didn't think I'd really be that nervous about the wedding; now I'm slightly concerned.

Were any of you physically sick from stress over your wedding, or do you think you might be???

38 Comments

• hellothere
    Super May 2014
    hellothere ·
    • Flag

One of my best friends, who I was a bridesmaid for, woke up sick at like 3am the morning before her wedding. She said it was from nerves. I thought it was unusual but I guess it is more common than I thought!

• Emmerdoodle
    Expert April 2014
    Emmerdoodle ·
    • Flag

Ha! Seriously, I'm thinking of investing in some kind of anti-anxiety pills just to have on hand!

• Belais
    VIP October 2013
    Belais ·
    • Flag

For my first wedding, other than knowing that I was making a mistake, I didn't have nerves so bad that I felt like vomiting.

I did, however, take 3 ibuprofen because the corset I had on was seriously painful to wear. Yikes.

ETA: This time around, I'm actually fairly calm, despite the several things I still need to finish.

• MissMadeline
    Master June 2014
    MissMadeline ·
    • Flag

Ugh I really hope this doesn't happen to me! Good thinking on the anxiety pills....

I'm currently struggling to quit smoking (I'll stop for a couple months then buy a pack and stop again). I hope I'm not going to be smoking like a chimney on my wedding day because of stress!

• D
    Master May 2014
    D ·
    • Flag

Well, I suffer from anxiety just in general but usually sparked by some physical ailment.

Nonetheless, I will have my xanax with me. I wonder if this just happens in younger brides? I'm 43 and not real nervous about being married.

Either way I really hope this doesn't happen.

• Emmerdoodle
    Expert April 2014
    Emmerdoodle ·
    • Flag

@ D: all the brides I mentioned are in their 20s, as am I, so maybe it is a younger thing...

@ Amy: you're lucky your dress still fit! Your avatar pic is beautiful!

• LaurenVictoria
    Super October 2013
    LaurenVictoria ·
    • Flag

I'm normally anxious as it is, so I can only imagine. Ever since about 5 days ago my stress level has been significantly increased. It's not even just bad stress, it's good stress too. excitement about the wedding. There's just so much to do and so much money that needs to be spent, and the thought of walking down that aisle in front of everyone. I was actually ok until we hit that two week mark and it finally hit me that this is actually happening. I'm going to need some mimosas at my hair/makeup appointment. Do you think my doctor will give me some anxiety medicine if I tell them I'm getting married and am super stressed out?

• Emmerdoodle
    Expert April 2014
    Emmerdoodle ·
    • Flag

Doesn't hurt to ask - he might give you a small prescription of ativan or something else nonhabit forming. The worst he can say is no. You can also pick up Valerian root at your local vitamin shop; that's pretty good for calming the nerves.

• LaurenVictoria
    Super October 2013
    LaurenVictoria ·
    • Flag

I was given ativan before (during college, not from my current physician). Perhaps I'll ask. I'm sitting at work doing nothing because I've been crunching wedding related financial figures all day and freaking out..

• Soonyee
    VIP June 2013
    Soonyee ·
    • Flag

I never had a moment I felt nauseous or felt a need to medicate lol

I was fine, it depends on the purpose. There were moments of EXTREME joy and excitement.. but I was never about to pass out or anything. Everything went smooth though so I didn't have much to stress about.

• J&B
    Master September 2013
    J&B ·
    • Flag

I woke up at 3am day-of and chugged some Pepto. lol I was slightly nauseous through the morning while getting ready. It all went away after first looks.

• mc4dj13
    Master November 2013
    mc4dj13 ·
    • Flag

I joke about taking medication, but I really hate it. I am gonna go with liquid courage.

• Emmerdoodle
    Expert April 2014
    Emmerdoodle ·
    • Flag

A couple mimosas in the morning and you'll be all set. :-)

• Jennifer
    Dedicated October 2013
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I still have 23 days and when i hear any of our ceremony music or really think about it..i start to get anxious and nervous! I'm not nervous about the getting married part...my fiance is amazing and so much fun...but i'm freakin about everything going how i have planned in my head and everyone being where they are suppose to be when they are suppose to be.....

• Valerie
    VIP September 2013
    Valerie ·
    • Flag

During the day's before the wedding, it was constant stress and tension, but no nausea. I actually slept really good most nights. Day of the wedding, i was oddly calm, it was weird, lol.

• Amanda
    Super October 2013
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

@Lauren we are date twins!!!! Only 10 days to go!!!!

I'm an emotional person, and I will cry, probably off and on most of the day. So my makeup artist is staying until I walk down the aisle, just in case. I will probably not sleep much if at all the night before so 5 hour energy will be my best friend. I don't think being physically ill will be a problem I am however, currently trying to kick a cold that I am convinced is from stress (good and bad), nerves and excitement!

• Corinne S
    VIP November 2012
    Corinne S ·
    • Flag

In my everyday life I am normally a very anxious person, I was sure the morning of my wedding I would be a nervous wreck. Especially since I am not comfortable in front of large crowds.

Strangely enough the morning of and for the whole day I was a cool as a cucumber, no nerves at all and I actually felt the calmest I have ever felt.

• Laura
    Master November 2013
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I felt half sick to my stomach at my bridal shower because I hate being the center of attention. I don't like crowds either. I hope my experience is like Corinne's and I'll be calm the day of. Not likely though.

• *Aly*
    Super April 2014
    *Aly* ·
    • Flag

How weird that im reading this... i was making some phone calls and sending emails regarding the planning and all of a sudden im here in my bed holding the feel of throwing up =( im sure its out of stress since i was perfectly fine this morning and did eat anything unusual! =/

• Emmerdoodle
    Expert April 2014
    Emmerdoodle ·
    • Flag

Date twin!! I hope you feel better!

Comment on this discussion