Erica
Beginner April 2020

Bodysuits or strapless bra?

Erica, on September 22, 2019 at 11:55 PM

Posted in Wedding Attire 31

Hi ladies!! I just purchased my wedding dress and I love it!! However, I am rather large chested and this dress is backless as you can see in the picture. From the front you can tell that I'm sagging which is the exact opposite of how I want to look for my future hubby! What would you recommend to...
Hi ladies!! I just purchased my wedding dress and I love it!! However, I am rather large chested and this dress is backless as you can see in the picture. From the front you can tell that I'm sagging which is the exact opposite of how I want to look for my future hubby! What would you recommend to wear underneath this dress? I was thinking maybe a backless bodysuit or one of those pasty bras which typically have terrible support 馃檭 Thanks in advance!

cfb_1289883.jpg

cfb_1289885.jpg

31 Comments

• Rebecca
    Expert January 2020
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Holy moly! Yeah, everyone I've talked to says to stay away from David's Bridal for the alterations because of how much they charge!!

• Erica
    Beginner April 2020
    Erica
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hey girl! I just got price estimates for my dress and it was $845 for getting the waist taken in, the hips let out, the straps shortened and the dress hemmed shorter!!! That is more than my dress costs!!! Let me know when you've gotten your first alterations quote because I feel like they might be trying to rip me off!
  • Rebecca
    Expert January 2020
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Omg! I had my first alteration a week ago, I was charged $500 for a hem, bra cups sewn in, sew on my belt, and have the waist taken in!!
  • Rebecca
    Expert January 2020
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I meant to add to my previous response, where did you get that quote from?? That seems outrageous!!!
  • Erica
    Beginner April 2020
    Erica
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I went to local seamstress which I thought would be cheaper than David's bridal but I guess not! They quoted my hem at $280, the bustle at $120, and to take it in at $190 along with other random charges. Do you know what they charged for those items for you? And where did you get yours done??
  • Rebecca
    Expert January 2020
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Is there another seamstress near you? Maybe you can get another quote!! I went to a local seamstress (not sure where you're from, my seamstress is located in Rochester, Minnesota). I don't know on the top of my head how much I was charged for each item, I'll have to check my receipt.
  • Erica
    Beginner April 2020
    Erica
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I went to a local seamstress in Houston, so maybe I should shop around like you suggested and see if there is someone else more reasonable! I have her quotes for each item I need altered so maybe I can just email them or pop into their store and get quotes on the their typical costs for those items? All I know is I can't afford that $845 quote!

• Rebecca
    Expert January 2020
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think that's a good idea! You still have plenty of time before your first fitting, so now is a great time to shop around!

• Erica
    Beginner April 2020
    Erica
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for the advice! I just have one more question, have you gotten your bustle done yet? I was thinking the american bustle instead of french with our dress style but im not really sure...

• Rebecca
    Expert January 2020
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You're welcome!! Smiley smile And yes, I'm getting the American bustle! The French one covered up the pretty flower applique on the train, so I went with the American. My seamstress simulated what a French would look like, and it looked saggy and frumpy lol

• Erica
    Beginner April 2020
    Erica
    • Flag

Oh gross, I will definitely stay away from the french one! Was that included in your initial price estimate? I have heard that the fancier look you try to get with the bustle the more expensive it will cost!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics