We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Rachel
Dedicated September 2022

Best silhouettes for hour glass shape?

Rachel, on July 11, 2020 at 11:06 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 14
Saved Save
Hi, ladies...

I was considering getting an a-line dress for my wedding, but I’m not 100% sure about the way those dresses fit my body type (I have an hour glass figure with a small waist). I’ve tried on a-line dresses before but sometimes they don’t look as good on me because I don’t have a petite frame (I’m 5’8 and around 155 pounds) so my body doesn’t look as great due to the cut of the dress. I can’t help but think a mermaid gown might be better since they are more form-fitting and the bodice is longer which could accentuate my curves a little more. Does anyone else have an hourglass figure? What silhouettes looked best when you tried them on?

14 Comments

• Stefanie
    Expert July 2020
    Stefanie ·
    • Flag
    A line flatters every figure. I am an hourglass and I've worn plenty of a line dresses in my life.
  • Tonilynn
    Dedicated September 2020
    Tonilynn ·
    • Flag
    If you are an hour glass like me I went with sheath fit. It forms to your body which is already an hour glass my dress looks perfect on me.
  • Michelle
    Devoted May 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I’m hourglass figure, same weight and height too! I found fit and flare was the best for my body type. The mermaid style made me feel too hippy, I ended up with a trumpet style fit and flare. I did also try a ball gown style, which was amazing, it was just too flashy for me. I did not like any A line styles.

• Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    A mermaid/fit and flare is practically made for an hour glass shape!
  • A
    August 2021
    Ania ·
    • Flag
    Try a mermaid or a fit and flare. You’ll be surprised how good they look on hourglass figures.
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen Online ·
    • Flag

Try a mermaid or fit and flare. I went against that because I have hips and butt for days and sadly I can easily look like a sausage lol. You will need to get alterations though which is another reason why I went against it but that is a nice silhouette and you should try it. My first dress was A line and my current one is ball gown. It will be easier on the day of if I gain a little weight which I do not plan to because weight goes to my hips first.

• Mindy
    Super November 2020
    Mindy ·
    • Flag
    We are basically built the same!
    I shy away from mermaid because I was always told that very few people can pull them off and I didn’t want to risk being bloated and having my stomach area look blah.
    I ended up getting an A line dress. Best silhouettes for hour glass shape? 1
    The belt accentuates the waist line. I just love how elegant my dress looks 😍
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    I think mermaid might be good on your body type
  • Belle
    Super July 2021
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    I vote for mermaid too!
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    I’m not a fan of the way A-lines look. I’d go with a fit and flare/trumpet/mermaid silhouette. Those will look flattering.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    If you’re an even hourglass, a fit & flare or mermaid can look great. If you’re much heavier in the bottom, a mermaid (or trumpet can really accentuate that which might not be what you want). Do try on several different styles! Even a mermaid can fit differently.
  • Taran
    Devoted September 2020
    Taran Online ·
    • Flag

I'm about the same size as you (just one inch taller) and got an a-line dress. It's a less full a-line and might be better classified as a sheath, but I say try on an a-line and maybe some other silhouettes. Here's the one I got

https://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_tulle-a-line-wedding-dress-with-plunging-v-neck-swg722_a-line-wedding-dresses

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I would just go try on as many silhouettes as you can and don't go into it with any preconceived notions. I had an image in my head of what I wanted (and what online told me would look best) and I got something totally different. It doesn't hurt to go to 2-5 salons and try as many dresses (shapes, necklines, colors, fabrics, etc.) as you can.

• Jessica
    Devoted July 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I'm more pear, but was surprised at how good trumpet silhouettes looked on my fuller bottom half. Might be worth a shot if you're up for showing off your figure.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles