A
Master October 2019

Are you changing everything with your last name down to email?

Angelena, on October 24, 2019 at 9:34 AM Posted in Community Conversations 1 31
Saved Save

Do I need to change my email address too? I will for work once I change everything there, but for my personal email do I really need to change the address? I will be applying to jobs, does it matter if my resume says my new name and my maiden name is still my email address? Ugh it looks so strange to change it.

31 Comments

• Melissa
    Beginner May 2020
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

I have been using my maiden name email since I couldn't snag a really good one with my new last name for nearly a year now and not a single person has said anything. Just be sure to sign your emails with your married name as that's what people should be looking to to address you as anyhow.

Furthermore, I have two valid ID's (Driver's License and Military) that have the different names and nothing has been said about that either.

• Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber Online ·
    • Flag

I don't think it's a big deal, but I don't see the point of keeping anything with your maiden name if you're changing your name. I just look at it as "that's not my name" lol. I plan on getting my work email changed with our IT department and creating a new personal email (I get too much spam with my current one anyways).

• Kristal
    Expert February 2020
    Kristal ·
    • Flag

I've already made the email address for the new last name and am slowly switching things over as it gets closer. That said, I don't think its a must for most people. Usually somewhere on your application, they will ask you for any previous names, including maiden so they shouldn't really wonder where the other name came from.

• A
    Master October 2019
    Angelena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ahhh I want all my emails from store subscriptions and such. Outlook/hotmail whatever allows different alias for one account. I’m wondering if that just means all the emails go to one place if I create a new address linked to my old. I just don’t want to change everything across the board. And can’t seem to find an email that looks quite right with my new name.
  • Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh it'll definitely be a pain to switch everything over to my new address, but I've got all my passwords/usernames saved in Kaspersky so it'll just take sitting down to do it all lol

I haven't thought about what email to use with my new name yet, but I'm sure it'll also be a struggle. Not that I have anything against my maiden name, but when I change my name I'm looking forward to it being on everything, just feels more "real" to me! Smiley smile

• Brooke
    Expert November 2019
    Brooke ·
    • Flag

I will not be right away. For one, my email only has the first 4 letters of my last name and do not see the point in changing it right now. I might in a year or so if I find it to be an issue.

I have already changed everything else that has needed to be changed

• V
    VIP July 2019
    Veronica Online ·
    • Flag
    I changed mine. I had all of my emails forwarded from my old email to my new email. I have Gmail and it was super easy to do.
  • Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    Yes I would give out your new name email to potential employers. You can set up email forwarding from your old address so you still get coupons etc without changing them individually.
  • Ivy ORP
    VIP October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag

I simply changed how my name appears on my email when recipients receive an email. I may have to change it once everything is official for my side business, but for now this seems to be working.

• Alisha
    Expert August 2020
    Alisha ·
    • Flag
    I’m think I am going to keep my email as it is because I have had it for so long. I’m not trying to remember a new one. The one that I might have to change is my work email and that is only if they require me to.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I did. I figured it would be confusing to someone meeting me to be told one name then not have my email match it.

• Lauren
    Super September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

My husband reserved emails for me with my new name about a year before our wedding. It was really cute, he was so excited. I will eventually get everything switched over.

• Shelby
    Devoted November 2020
    Shelby ·
    • Flag
    I’m more than likely going to change mine as well. Mainly for the one that I use for job applications and such. I don’t think it will be too big of a problem. Then I won’t have to worry about the other ones anymore that have a bunch of spam on them 😆
  • A
    Devoted May 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

I am changing everything, but will keep both emails for awhile.

• Rose
    Dedicated February 2020
    Rose ·
    • Flag

I'm changing everything including my yahoo and google emails

• Jasmine
    Rockstar August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag

It's not really a big deal. My work one will change for sure but my personal one is an email with a last name that was never mine. It's my mom's married name. I still use it.....sort of lol. Since I rarely use that one anymore, I personally would probably make a new one with my new name only because the other email I have isn't professional looking. In your case, it doesn't seem like it matters. I wouldn't stress over it.

• Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·
    • Flag

I didn't change my personal email because I don't really use it for anything where the name not matching would cause too much confusion, and I didn't want the hassle. I did change my work email through HR and IT at work because it is important that my work email matches.

• Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I’m in the process of changing everything. I changed my gmail personal email address to my new gmail address, that was easy. The yahoo change is a bit more difficult as it’s super old (like 15 yrs) & gets a lot of spam, but has good info too - so I’ve been slowly migrating the information.
    My IT dept was able to change my last name & I was able to change my last name on social media & Venmo. I’m still waiting for the state to return my marriage license so that I can change my name w/ the IRS, drivers license, bank, etc. it never ends.
  • M
    Savvy May 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Oh, man! Great question. I totally forgot about that. That's gonna be a pain! I think I'll do it, but I think it's totally up to you.

As far as resume is concerned, I think it's a nonissue as long as they have a current email to reach you at that isn't PARTYBABE123@HOTMAIL or whatever!
  • L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

I have emails with both my maiden name and married name and just check both. Most of my subscriptions and whatever have been updated to my married name at some point, but it's not that hard to check both.

Comment on this discussion