M
Master November 2010

Anyone know how many guests actually show up?

Mrs. Turner2B, on April 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM Posted in Planning 0 33
Saved Save

I mean, the percentage statistically. And if it's way low...are you all inviting more people than what you catered for?

33 Comments

• wonderful moment
    Master March 2010
    wonderful moment ·
    • Flag

I had invited 160 and 128 had RSVP but I can tell you at least 20 people did not show Smiley sad after paying for all of them.

• Former MDLS now Mrs. K
    Master October 2010
    Former MDLS now Mrs. K ·
    • Flag

We are invited between 75-100 peopl and I saw someone post a response on your other discussion that he has been doing this a long time and usually 50% of people you invited show up for the wedding.

• Analy aka T-waffle
    Master October 2009
    Analy aka T-waffle ·
    • Flag

I don't think you can really use stats for this one. You have to provide for everyone that rsvp's. I know there is a 10% no show "rule", but we invited 85, and 84 showed up. Imagine if we had used stats on that one...

• *Jess*
    Super May 2011
    *Jess* ·
    • Flag

I hope so. looking to invite around 100 but I hope only about 50 show lol. can't be rude so I'm inviting them but itd cost a lot less if they didn't all show ;-)

• Former MDLS now Mrs. K
    Master October 2010
    Former MDLS now Mrs. K ·
    • Flag

@Jessica-that's what I'm thinking too (I feel bad for thinking it but we're paying for it not them, lol)

• dme_cjm
    VIP September 2010
    dme_cjm ·
    • Flag

I have 80 guests and I am not expecting any of them to not show. Only the people that need to be there (close family and friends) will be there.

• Shaunie
    VIP October 2011
    Shaunie ·
    • Flag

I think there are to many factor to consider to get a realistc answer to this question: how close is the family, how big is the guest list,etc. For example I'm inviting 250 people and more than likely about 30-50 wont show. However if I would have just invited really close friends and family it would have been about 150-175 and Im pretty sure they would all show

• dai69
    VIP July 2011
    dai69 ·
    • Flag

We are inviting 30 & have guarenteed that. We will not invite more than 40 all together. We are doing the A/B list because if someone can't make it we would like to give someone else the opportunity to come. You just have to prioritize. Not trying to hurt feelings, but the world revolves around money and this is just another reminder of that.

• FutureMrs.Girlinghouse
    Devoted May 2010
    FutureMrs.Girlinghouse ·
    • Flag

We are inviting 120 and are expecting 100. I think the bigger the guest list the more people that are unlikely to come. Everyone I am invited are pretty important to me whereas if I were to invited 250 about 100 of those would be people I dont know very well at all and who wouldn't feel that bad about not coming.

• S
    Master February 2011
    Snif ·
    • Flag

I've heard that 10% don't show and if it's a destination wedding it's more like 20% (that's what my planning book told me)

• emandjess
    Dedicated July 2010
    emandjess ·
    • Flag

I've always heard anywhere from 10%-20%. We invited 167 people (invites go out next week!!) and were thinking only about 130 would show, but we keep running into people we invited that we thought weren't going to come and they are all excited about the wedding! Right now we know 4 definitely can't come, but for my parents sake (and their wallets!) we are hoping for only around 130. I guess it all depends on the people, the situation, how far it is, etc.

• Mz_Sunshine
    VIP September 2011
    Mz_Sunshine ·
    • Flag

I heard someone say that 70% show up and of that 70% will bring others lol

• ALL MINE!!
    Devoted September 2010
    ALL MINE!! ·
    • Flag

My guest list is at 65 so far....i know there are still people I am forgetting. I come from a huge family 1st cousins 2nd cousins 3rd and blah blah blah. I expect everyone to show up and then some. Only invitations for the people we see on a regular basis. Everyone else can come to the after party just as long as they b.y.o.b! We are truly blessed that we aren't paying for catering and drinks.

• Irina Feygin
    February 2020
    Irina Feygin ·
    • Flag

Usually, the industry statistics is that 20-30% of guests don't show up, so Mz_Sunshine is correct! However, they are supposed to let you know beforehand so you could still cancel the food. Realistically, I wish all the people would follow the etiquette, but of course it's wishful thinking. Good luck to all!

• Kristen
    Savvy June 2011
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

I have always heard that about half show up... but there are always exceptions

• Kim
    Dedicated July 2016
    Kim ·
    • Flag

My sister sent out 300 invites for her wedding and 200 showed up. In her case, she had a problem with people showing up with more people than they rsvp'd with -___-

• JJ
    Master December 2009
    JJ ·
    • Flag

We invited about 400. 320 rsvp'd. 5 ppl showed up without rsvp. 25 ppl did not show up.

• jlam
    Master August 2011
    jlam ·
    • Flag

I think it comes down to your personal guest list. If you've basically only invited close family and friends you can expect most to be there, but if there are a lot of acquaintances and distant relatives you will probably have more declines.

• jlam
    Master August 2011
    jlam ·
    • Flag

And also the location and day matters too--- whether the venue is near or far to where they live and whether it is around a holiday or not.

• kt
    Dedicated November 2009
    kt ·
    • Flag

We invited 160 people, 88 RSVPed yes and 80 showed... don't count on every person showing that said yes... people are rude.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics