MJBride
VIP July 2015

Anyone ever done or seen a fake send off

MJBride, on March 9, 2015 at 10:12 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 25
Saved

I really want the pictures of us running out of the reception with our guests waving sparklers BUT we aren't actually leaving early and most of our guests will probably be gone before we are. Has anyone done a fake send off for the pics?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Trenee , on August 1, 2019 at 12:44 PM
  • sandpiper
    Super March 2016
    sandpiper ·
    • Flag

Never seen that... and to be honest, I'd be a little annoyed as a guest if I were asked to do it.

• AlmostMrsMcLain
    Devoted June 2015
    AlmostMrsMcLain ·
    • Flag

I attended a wedding where we did the send off twice in a row with sparklers, to be sure the pictures were good, then the couple stayed and danced longer. Their wedding was on the same property as the cabin they were staying in that night, so they had nowhere to really leave to. I thought it made sense and no one seemed confused or anything by it!

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

No. Why capture a memory you never made?

• MrsLacey2b (Kayleigh)
    Super July 2017
    MrsLacey2b (Kayleigh) ·
    • Flag

That is way too posed for my liking, sparkler exits are nice but i wouldnt fake it personally. But to each their own. I would want my photos to capture moments and memories, not fakes ones to keep up with a trend x

• Julie
    Devoted November 2015
    Julie ·
    • Flag

I've seen it done. The photographer wasn't staying for the reception, so they did the dances, cake cutting, and send off right away just for the photo op. Then everyone came back inside for dinner/dancing. As a guest it was a little confusing in the moment, but once we realized what was going on, it was no big deal.

• Mrs.Matthews
    Master January 2015
    Mrs.Matthews ·
    • Flag

We kind of did it, I guess? We left, people had the sparklers, but our hotel was at the place our wedding was so we were actually staying there, the reception was over though. After we just walked through the other door and started cleaning up, and some people stayed around so we saw them again.

• MJBride
    VIP July 2015
    MJBride ·
    • Flag

Ok. What's your opinions on just a big group picture with everyone waving sparklers around at night fall. Weddings July so sun sets later...

• KM
    Master March 2015
    KM ·
    • Flag

We are doing our send off after the ceremony

• Staci
    Master September 2014
    Staci ·
    • Flag

Just leave a little early. You don't need all of your guests to be there for the send off.

• Mrs.Matthews
    Master January 2015
    Mrs.Matthews ·
    • Flag

Im not going to lie it was scary walking through the sparklers.

• FFW
    Master August 2016
    FFW ·
    • Flag

No but I have seen send off w/ only about 20 guest and the pictures still looked good. So even if you have only a small amount of guest left I think a real send off is fine. I saw the pictures, because I was at the wedding ,but I wasn't even aware there would be a sparkler send-off (maybe ppl would stay for it if they know when its happening) How many people in your wedding party? The one I saw was pretty much the wedding party (14 ppl) their dates (another 5 ppl) and the parents and siblings of the bride and groom (another 6 ppl).

• Mrs. Lav
    Master November 2015
    Mrs. Lav ·
    • Flag

I was at a wedding with a sparkler send off last fall. And then....I got really confused because the bride and groom were back on the dance floor 10 minutes later. So, no.

• Elle
    Master March 2015
    Elle ·
    • Flag

I've seen the "fake grand exit" once before. The bride and groom ran by all of us as we waved bells at them. They got in the car, and drove off. We all got in our cars and left. The bride and groom were upset because they only went around thenblock, and came back. No one was there when they came back.

If you do a fake one, please let everyone know that that does not mean the party is over!

• Maltese
    Master June 2015
    Maltese ·
    • Flag

Celia said it perfectly

• JAL2015
    VIP May 2015
    JAL2015 ·
    • Flag

I went to a wedding in August and they did the sparkler pictures. I didn't see it as a send off it was just everyone outside holding sparklers while they kissed and they videotaped it. IMO I wouldn't call it a send off, I would just make it a photo op.

• Rachel DellaPorte
    Rachel DellaPorte ·
    • Flag

I've never seen it done. I'd feel kind of silly asking my guests to all go outside so we could stage a fake sparkler exit.

• MJBride
    VIP July 2015
    MJBride ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone. We'll discuss this with our photographer and plan to do it As a fun sparkler photo op before he leaves. @faran there is only one of each of our side, my MOH and his bestwoman. I'm an only child and he has two brothers, but one he's not on speaking terms with.

• Kate
    Master May 2012
    Kate ·
    • Flag

Yes, I was at one last summer where they had a grand send-off then didn't leave. They were still there when we left. It was strange. (And since they had already secretly eloped, the whole thing felt kind of like a fake/photo op. Very strange.)

• Rachel DellaPorte
    Rachel DellaPorte ·
    • Flag

OMG... really, Elle? I'm sorry, I'm actually laughing, but it's kind of sad...

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I DID do a wedding last summer where the group got sparklers to light before the recessional, and the couple walked back down the aisle (outside, obviously) with them going. It was a little time consuming to facilitate, but it was nice.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics