Brianna
Just Said Yes April 2018

8 Bridesmaids. Am I crazy?

Brianna, on March 14, 2017 at 2:06 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 41
Saved Save

Hi Lovelies,

I had the hardest time deciding on what was an "appropriate" number of bridesmaids. I seriously found myself digging through website after website trying to view any and all wedding rules pertaining to how many a bride should have.

I chose my girls based on the role each played in my life. I can honestly say that each girl is a good and close friend. Unfortunately, I've received a bit of negative response people (family and friends) and now I'm conflicted.

41 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel DellaPorte, on March 16, 2017 at 1:53 AM
  • Nonna T
    Master April 2014
    Nonna T ·
    • Flag

It's way too early to ask them, I hope you haven't yet.

Eight is a culo full.

And a lot of expense on your part, as well as logistics and personality juggling.

Pick one or two, three or four at most. Others can do readings, give toasts.

• Susan
    Super December 2017
    Susan ·
    • Flag

I have 8 including my MOH. Just realize you will need to budget for 8 bridesmaids. I couldn't cut any of them as they are my nearest and dearest and I couldn't imagine my wedding without them.

• becky
    Super April 2017
    becky ·
    • Flag

Yes, hopefully you have not asked yet. I have 7. Just be prepared if you do ask all 8 that you have enough to spend within your budget for them. I know huge elaborate gifts are not always needed, but you need to keep this in mind that a $30 bracelet x 8 girls adds up. Even small tokens are a big expense.

• Nicole2017
    Master August 2017
    Nicole2017 ·
    • Flag

Like Nonna said, if you haven't asked yet def wait until 6-8 months out.

I have 8, and it is definitely expensive so you have to keep that in mind (think gifts you need to get each one, accounting for them and their date at the rehearsal dinner). Other than that though it's been great. They're my closest friends and they all are friends with each other, which has meant no drama or personality clashes. My situation is a little unique in that sense, so if not all 8 know each other logistics can get messy.

• APZ
    VIP March 2017
    APZ ·
    • Flag

I'm at 7...a week away from my wedding and wish I'd kept it at the 4 I originally wanted instead of getting pressured to include all 3 of my SIL's. It's a big added expense for their gifts, hair, makeup, hotels for the night before the wedding...Its just a lot. Think hard about it before you ask them all.

• TheWrightGirl
    Super November 2017
    TheWrightGirl ·
    • Flag

I think you having 8 is just fine, just as long as you remember that you need to include them in your budget. Not all women have personality clashes and some of them get along really well. I do agree it's a bit early to ask them, but don't deter away from having 8 just because society says you can't have that many.

• Lucio@Last
    Super June 2018
    Lucio@Last ·
    • Flag

I'd think about it before committing to it but if you can budget for it and if you think they'll all get along well, then I say go for it. I haven't asked anyone yet as my wedding is even farther away than yours, but I've put a lot of thought into it. I am planning on having 8 for the fact that I could not leave any one of them out. One is my god sister I've known since birth, my MOH is my little sister, one is my FSIL who I have known for years and own a business with, one is my dear friend who I am actually being trained by to be a doula and midwife, and the other four are all of my best friends from high school/ middle school (8 plus years). So while yes it is a lot to juggle, I just couldn't leave any of them out. You know your friends best

• ShakespeareBride
    Super January 2018
    ShakespeareBride ·
    • Flag

I have 6 which I thought was high. Just know it is going to cost you something to have so many bridesmaids. Also the higher the number the higher the chance for drama.

• Brianna
    Just Said Yes April 2018
    Brianna ·
    • Flag

Thank you so much ladies. Honestly, I think I'm more worried about losing a friend if I don't ask her to be my bridesmaid. Then again, a real friend wouldn't hold that against me if she cares right?

I would love to have my 2 sisters and my two childhood best friends. That would make me happy.

• Page
    VIP May 2017
    Page ·
    • Flag

I hope you haven't asked yet. It's too early to ask.

You need to be prepared to pay for 8 bouquets, 8 gifts, etc. it adds up so quickly. I have 6 and it's a lot.

• Amanda
    Devoted June 2018
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

I have 8!

• CuteNickname
    Super July 2017
    CuteNickname ·
    • Flag

I have 8....I'm paying for their hair and makeup and buying each of them a robe and a gift. Total spend over 2k.

I can afford it....we are having a Sunday wedding and make good livings. And we are all in our early 30's and mature, so there's not really any drama. Most of them don't even know one another as they're all from different parts of my life. I love all of them. But I do sometimes think yikes that's too many. And it's expensive. ETA- bigger limo and I didn't even add in the bouquet cost to the 2k!

• TheWrightGirl
    Super November 2017
    TheWrightGirl ·
    • Flag

@Cute, I think that's great and you're prepared for it. If a person knows it's feasible for them, why not go for it. I do agree that you usually don't run into the drama when your bridal party members are older. My bridesmaids will be together for the shower, bachelorette party, and the day of the wedding. There really isn't any time for them to even have drama.

• ReneeEdward
    VIP November 2017
    ReneeEdward ·
    • Flag

• J. Clo
    Master May 2018
    J. Clo ·
    • Flag

I'm not sure if your vision is for them to all have the same dress but trying to find a dress that works for all body types is quite challenging.

I have allot of close friends so to make sure no one's feelings ended up hurt for not being chosen I am only selecting my sister. The rest can all attend as guests and no one can argue with me for selecting only my sister.

• Lauren
    Devoted December 2016
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't have a bridesmaid just because you're worried that she will drop you as a friend if she's not asked. If your gut is telling you to just pick your sisters and childhood best friends, then go with it.

• CuteNickname
    Super July 2017
    CuteNickname ·
    • Flag

Yeah I would never drop a friend because she didn't ask me. Especially not as I've gotten older and understand how much of a financial commitment it is. A friend who did not include me in her BP is included in mine. No big deal. She just wanted 2 BM's and I wanted a bigger shindig.

• Christa
    Devoted September 2018
    Christa ·
    • Flag

I am thinking of 6 people too.. just curious: what are you all doing for your bridesmaids? Are you all paying for hair makeup, gifts, and what else??

• Jane38
    VIP September 2018
    Jane38 ·
    • Flag

I would never not be friends with someone if they didn't ask me. I just got asked last week to be in a friends wedding, and honestly I thought "crap! more money to spend!" haha.

• SuYa
    Master April 2017
    SuYa ·
    • Flag

I have 5. I have bought them each a BM box as a gift, I bought them earrings and a shawl for the day of and I plan to pay for their hair and mak-up. These are things I budgeted for. PP are right, everything does add up, so please keep that in mind when you ask in 6-8 months.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics