Beginner April 2022

2020 wedding - postponing to 2021, eloping/getting married in 2020 still

Chelsea, on April 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 5
We are likely going to postpone our 10/10/20 wedding to 2021 but we want to get married this year still as soon as things are opened up so that our immediate family can be there - so maybe get married in June/July (probably either a courthouse wedding or a small simple ceremony on the beach with immediate family only). We have a large wedding party and it would be pretty tough to invite even the MOH and BM without then inviting others in the wedding party and we'd end up then with a 30-40 person event. So we will probably keep it to just immediate family - we definitely want to make sure to keep our parents safe and away from crowds/large events...but I am worried my friends are going to be sad and hurt that they wont be there. How have others handled this and how did your wedding party/other friends react to not being there if you got married this year still but are postponing the larger wedding?Thanks again to this wonderful community for the support, advice and love!! XOXO


Latest activity by Gina, on April 27, 2020 at 10:39 PM
  • Neeva
    VIP September 2020
    Neeva ·
    • Flag
    I can't imagine that people will be anything but understanding of the situation
    • Reply
  • Chelsea
    Beginner April 2022
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    I hope so too Smiley sad Thank you!! Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Rebekah
    Savvy June 2020
    Rebekah ·
    • Flag
    That's what we're doing, but we decided to have immediate family only. I would just remind people that none of this is an ideal situation, and none of us have ever had to deal with it before. You could do a post-ceremony Zoom cocktail hour with your families and wedding party.
    • Reply
  • Sara
    Dedicated August 2020
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    That's what we did Smiley smile were still attempting to have a large wedding the end of august, but we arent holding our breathe lol. It was heartbreaking to tell everyone we would be getting married without their attendance but most people were so understanding. It came down to us only being able to have our parents, with my father in law officiating the wedding. It just wasnt safe for us to invite any one else. At the end of the day I'm glad we did it instead of waiting. None of this is ideal, but we just have to keep our heads up and try to weather this storm.
    • Reply
  • Gina
    WeddingWire Administrator April 2021
    Gina ·
    • Flag

    Hi Chelsea,

    I'm so sorry you are going through this! If I were in your shoes, I think I would do a small ceremony in the summer with your parents. Then, I would have a larger ceremony and/or reception in October with all of your guests.

    While we don't know the future of COVID-19, I think I would wait it out before you decide to pull the plug on your October wedding. It definitely doesn't hurt to have a back up plan, so I would chat with your vendors to see if they are willing to work with you in 2021.

    I'm certain you and your partner will do what is best for your situation but please know we are here if you need us. We’ve set up a hotline at (833) 998-2865 where we can give support and advice.

    whIH-pZc0aWJOuBTAdAY5VNyGrZ8aBykYcgA-jFoI hope this helps!
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇


Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more


WeddingWire article topics