Kaitlyn
Just Said Yes August 2022

2020 Brides: Canceling/postponing Wedding and Wedding Events due to Covid-19?

Kaitlyn, on March 18, 2020 at 12:12 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 7
Saved

Thoughts on Canceling/Postponing Wedding/Events??

Hi Brides,

Trying to stay calm and positive during this unsettling time. I hope all of you and your loved ones are staying healthy and positive! I wanted to reach out to get perspective on where other bride's mindsets are with their summer weddings and wedding-related events during this time of uncertainty with the coronavirus outbreaks.

My bachelorette party is 5/27 in Mexico. My wedding is 7/18 in California. Honeymoon starts on 7/20 in Greece! I am unsure if I should relax and continue as I was or if I should start planning for "worst-case". In regards to my wedding, four months seems like enough time for things to have settled. I am definitely more worried about Mexico travel in May. I am also a little worried about a Greece honeymoon with Greece being so close to others highly affected in Europe - who knows what will be happening in four months over there.

Wanting to know where other bride's heads are at! Anything helps.

Be well everyone!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Patrice, on March 23, 2020 at 1:04 AM
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    It’s such a sad and situation!

But, yes, I always think that having a Plan B (even if it’s only in the back if your mind) is the only way to properly plan.... because life isn’t a perfect.
    We’re getting married on 10/10/20 in Vegas with 100% of our guests (including FH & I) traveling there. So a Plan B was in my mind from the time we booked the venue.
    My hope is that this will be very well contained by the time of our wedding. But each day that passes where more people are infected and lives are lost (with no REAL action being taken), I start to think that it might continue beyond the summer. 🙁
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

Hi Kaitlyn! It's definitely a crazy time of stress and uncertainty for everyone!

Thankfully you have a longer timeline to work with, but I agree that having a Plan B is always helpful! I'd keep your eye on the May trip to Mexico and what potential changes or cancellations would look like to you and your bach party crew. I'd check what the policies are with your hotel and airlines, and note any deadlines you'd need to make a decision by!

You are definitely not alone in these feelings right now! Smiley heart Here are a few other discussions with similar concerns you should check out:

July 2020 Weddings - Is it all going to be ok by then?

Coronavirus affecting anyone's honeymoon?

• Samantha
    Dedicated April 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

A lot of my dates are right around yours as well. Bachelorette party is in Michigan over Memorial day weekend and we're getting married the day before you in Illinois. Trying not to freak out too much right now since we're still 4 months away from the wedding. My goal is to see how the next few weeks play out and then reassess everything come mid-April.

• Britt
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Britt ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree, if we are lucky and get widespread testing of everyone, even asymptomatic people, we might see this pass in a couple of months, and even that seems unlikely... But then the additional problem I am facing is that we were just getting steam under us to take all the big planning steps for our October wedding. Now, because I might be immune compromised, and because stores are closing, all those appointments are going to have to wait. My mom was going to help me with my dress, but she can't come stay with us right now, obviously. And then I am hearing that my cousin got her hours cut and might be losing her job, so how is she going to afford to travel from out of state? The knock-on effect of this are going to be insane, if it carries on at this critical of a level for more than a couple of months. Honestly, I don't think it makes sense to say "don't worry." It makes perfect sense to worry, and to start a serious plan B, because a lot of this is out of our hands, from the production of tests and masks and ventilators, to research for therapies and vaccines, to people losing their jobs or closing their businesses. These are serious impacts, unfortunately.

• Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes! The affects will be (and already are) so widespread. I feel like 2020 is basically canceled overall!!! For us, all of the planning was completed by January. That was the goal so that we could enjoy the engagement phase in 2020 without any planning.... and I’m actually glad we did! Thankfully our vendors are understanding, in the event we have to cancel (since it’s not our fault) 😕
  • Laura
    Rockstar September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I think just have a plan B and adjust to the idea of being flexible about what the wedding 'looks like.' Really being adaptable will help most. We rescheduled June to August and we're hoping for the best. If not, we'll elope in Sept - just he and I and our children, if not...

Just play with ideas in your head... Come up with an A, B, C... not 1, 2,3... not this is best. But, I'd feel married if A, B, or C happened and then leave the doors open to whichever is the one that's right when it's time. It's ok to be freaked out - but panicking doesn't lead to good choices. So, re-evaluate, then mourn if necessary, then breathe, consider, and lastly plan moving forward.

• Patrice
    Dedicated September 2021
    Patrice ·
    • Flag

My wedding isn't until May 2021 and I'm definitely praying that the next few weeks, this virus is contained and treatments and vaccines are created and successful. Just in case you do have to change your May 2020 wedding, perhaps maintain the theme of and have a venue local to you to deck it out in Mexican-inspired decor. Greece is definitely a beautiful place for a honeymoon. We were considering Santorni but we're also fixated on a few other places for our honeymoon. Where else would you love to start your new life with your husband at? You're not option-less and I understand how so many fellow brides are around this particular situation...but I truly believe everything will work out and it will still be the wedding of your dreams.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics