23 Reviews for The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows

Outside Cake (1)
House Liquor (1)
Specialty Wine (1)
23 The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows Reviews

DO IT!!!! It's easy, with a taste of old Hollywood and the price is right. Nick was punctual willing to take all steps to make your day special. Tasting was very intimate with chef Ryan, food was excellent. The kitchen prepared my husband a vegan meal with no hesitations.

Profile Picture Nicole, 2/18/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor, Rehearsal Dinner Location

Please consider The Lafayette for an event! Our recent wedding was absolutely amazing. Taylor was very helpful and accommodating throughout the whole process, she made sure that we were well taken care of and made the lead up to the big day go as smoothly as possible. The venue itself is absolutely stunning, so wonderful for photos. Lastly. the food was outstanding. I had so many compliments from our guests that it was the best food they had ever had at a wedding. I would definitely recommend this venue to others.

Profile Picture Julian, 10/22/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We quickly became raving fans of The Lafayette when they were so accommodating in helping us to work out the details for our wedding. The staff was phenomenal, Taylor and Nick were always a step ahead of us in handling things before we even knew we needed them. Everything from the food, the rooms, the set-up/break-down, front desk, even with helping us to stay to our budget, they were very professional and outstanding in every way! We highly recommend them for any event.

Profile Picture Pam, 10/15/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Taylor Nestra and Nick Sanders were amazing to work with while planning our wedding. They patiently answered our questions, were gracious with their time and always helpful! The venue is a gem! Over 70 percent of our guests traveled for this wedding and they of those traveling, most of our guests stayed at the Lafayette. It's a great alternative to the stuffy hotels downtown and it's just gorgeous!

Profile Picture kristina, 10/15/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This venue is the absolute BEST. My now husband and I immediately fell in love when we set foot inside the hotel, Taylor and her staff were great, responsive to our needs and helped us every step of the way. I could not have dreamed my wedding at a different location and they certainly helped make this the wedding we both dreamed about.

Profile Picture Victoria, 10/8/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Taylor was awesome. We told her our budget and she gladly worked with us. Everything was perfect!!!!

Profile Picture Shelly, 8/20/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had an amazing experience for our wedding at the Lafayette! Our wedding had the perfect backdrop, which made for an amazing experience and great pictures. Our guests were all very impressed with the venue and the customer service in every department. Taylor was very responsive, helpful and great to work with through the whole process. The food was also amazing! The groom is a chef so this was very important to us. Chef Ryan went above and beyond to make our experience special. They exceeded our expectations in every way.

Profile Picture Sharon, 4/14/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Parking, Wheelchair Access, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Wine, Accommodations, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Set Up, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Indoor, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens

Even though we had a small budget they did everything to help us out even created a special menu just for us to keep costs down. Will definitely recommend this to anyone out there looking for a Venue. It truely is a beautiful place.

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture User4745652, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Lafayette was a FANTASTIC venue for a glam, classic wedding reception! Tina was incredibly helpful throughout the entire planning process, especially when it came to sticking to our budget. We wanted to do an open bar on a budget, so she suggested the option of pre-purchasing kegs of beer and bottles of wine, which helped us save a ton of money. She was also very flexible with other elements of the reception "package" we purchased, which enabled us to cut costs in the areas we wanted to. The Mississippi Room was absolutely beautiful, and we ended up hiring a live band, which sounded and looked amazing with the vintage clamshell on the stage there. The value for the money we got at the Lafayette was amazing--I did a lot of research in advance and if was the best deal we found in San Diego. I was a little bit wary at first about using the on-site catering; however, after the taste test, I was completely sold on the food provided by the Lafayette (you can also bring in outside catering as well; it's just more of a hassle). Our guests commented on how much they enjoyed the food, also. Coupled with the vintage/glam atmosphere of the Mississippi Room and having Tina onsite for the entire event, I can't recommend the Lafayette highly enough.

Profile Picture Erin, 1/7/11, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Tina, the catering manager, was great to work with. We live in the Phoenix area and got married in San Diego, so we had to do most of our wedding planning long distance. Tina was extremely professional and flexible with our needs. She emailed us items if needed and was responsive to phone messages. She set aside a block of time for us to meet in person on a busy weekend for her, but since we would be in town at that time she made time for us. She was also understanding with some last minute changes we needed to make to our menu and was very helpful with the menu. The food was FANTASTIC and the bar service was excellent -- once Tina saw our beach themed decorations, she added some of her own touches that really rounded out the whole experience. And the rest of the hotel staff was great -- letting our guests check in early and allowing guests to switch rooms if their original rooms didn't work out, without any hassle whatsoever. After the reception, the hotel staff helped us carry our gifts to our room and boxed up the rest of our cake for us. The bonus for us was a cancellation in the large ballroom, so Tina moved our reception to that room at no additional cost to us. I heard horror stories from other brides regarding their receptions, and ours was smooth sailing through the whole process. I wouldn't change a thing about our reception!

Profile Picture Danielle, 8/8/08, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Great place for a wedding with amazing value.

Profile Picture Jason, 6/7/08, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning

This was the perfect spot for our event. Tina made sure that all our needs were met, and had no problem working with us on the menu so that we got exactly what we wanted and stilled stayed within our budget. Our guests enjoyed staying in the hotel, and it was fun meeting each other on the terrace for the complimentary breakfast tne next morning. For a unique and unforgettable experience, i highly recommend the Lafayette Hotel.

Profile Picture r, 11/2/02, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Taylor was amazing and made the planning so easy. She was patient and understanding. Can't say enough positive things about her!

Profile Picture Taraneh, 6/30/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Unique Services (Other)

Lafayette Hotel is a true historical gem!
We initially chose this place because of the picturesque architecture and the Vintage Hollywood Glam decor, but they were also helpful with providing tables, linens, dinnerware, furniture, catering, vendor recommendations, and hotel room. We had a pleasant experience with the food tasting there, too. Huge varieties of dishes but they organize it in a way that you can choose a package and customize them. H'ordeuvres can be tray-passed or displayed. Our catering manager Taylor N. was very professional and responsive. Throughout the wedding planning, she was very helpful with giving me some options in order to work within the budget, too.

The day of the wedding was a breeze. The presidential suite was big enough for the bridal party to comfortably hang out, our view faced the pool and we saw the guests lounging by the poolside with their drinks. We ordered the brioche breakfast sandwich while we were getting ready and it was delicious!! The ceremony site was beautiful, we were facing the veranda with the pool view and the hotel can also provide the arch and some decors too. For the reception, we chose the buffet style, but the catering staff brought us the food and drinks so we don't have to leave the sweetheart table. I thought that was thoughtful (had time to eat without the hassle of being stopped on the way to the buffet). I particularly loved the carpet of the Mississippi room, there's no fear of your reception looking bare and boring in that room! The mingle area is raised higher than the dining area which is a nice differentiation, and Taylor was able to give us low tables and chair for the patio too.

Even though I live in SF and didn't have the chance to visit the venue as often as I wanted to, the planning went very smoothly with help from the Lafayette Hotel team. The wedding turned out gorgeously, and our guests were very happy :) Thank you Lafayette Hotel!

Profile Picture Yuki, 3/13/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor, Party Supplies, Rehearsal Dinner Location, Wedding Planning
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'Oeuvres, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Accommodations, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Set Up, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Liquor, House Wine, Limited Bar, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine

The Lafayette was the first and only place we visited when trying to find a venue. We loved that it was in the neighborhood where we live, and it was a great venue to have everything in one. We did our ceremony and reception there, and it was the hotel where guests stayed. Having everything together really made the process easy. The coordinator Julia was great to work with-- her calm presence throughout the planning process helped make it all easy. The food was excellent, and the whole night was amazing.

Profile Picture Nicole, 3/29/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Thanks to Tina and her staff at the Lafayette Hotel it was truly the best day of our lives. All of our out of town guests loved staying in the rooms by the pool. The entire hotel staff went out of their way to ensure all guests needs were met. The Mississippi Ballroom was fantastic for our reception. The room was beautifully set up for our event, everything was in it's place just like we requested; The service of all staff was top notch! And the food served during our reception was delicious. Our guests are still telling us that it was the best wedding they have ever attended, the music, the fun, and the food was beyond all expectations. Tina led the way, she was calm, professional and she personally oversaw every aspect to ensure 100% satisfaction. I cannot imagine what the Lafayette woudl do without her. And we could not imagine having had our wedding in any other location. It was a very special location and added to a wonderful day. Thank you.

Profile Picture Debbie, 10/11/09, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Overall we had a really great experience with the Lafayette!

It's such a gorgeous venue and the value of using their space and catering (the food was absolutely incredible btw!) made it an easy choice for us when we were shopping around. There's so much personality!

Overall we had decent communication, but a few little flubs and instances where we really had to follow up with the staff- since we had both Nick & Taylor helping I think there were a few gaps in communication but ultimately it got sorted.

We also had some issues with some of our guests who had reserved rooms on our room blocks- one of which wound up having to get switched to a hotel a mile or two away. They comped the room, so from a customer service aspect at least they made amends, but it seemed like in general there were some issues with organization... I think perhaps this is a venue that is growing and still getting its legs underneath it (perhaps not used to the scale of the bookings/events they've been receiving lately?)

But overall, I would definitely recommend (seriously, just the history and architecture... melt!), just make sure you are on top of your organization, get things in writing, and follow up to ensure things that need to get booked, noted, or handled are being taken care of. Our guests loved the venue and being able to stay the night at the hotel after the big party was done was a definite plus for them. No regrets on booking here

Profile Picture Jennifer, 8/27/16, 11 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Parking, Indoor, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Champagne Toast, Limited Bar, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Barware, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Accommodations, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Set Up

We had our reception in the Mississippi Ballroom. It was beautiful, we instantly fell in love with the hotel and the ballroom!

We began our planning with Tina, and a few weeks before our wedding she left to start a new job, which really worried me, but her replacement, McKenna, was wonderful! Everything ran smoothly, we did not have one issue the whole night! We chose an option to use the hotel's staff, table, linens, and dishes and had food delivered because it fit our budget much better. They were wonderful to work with, the planning process was simple. And every email I sent was replied to within a couple of hours.

I have received so many compliments about how wonderful and beautiful my reception was. The ambiance of the hotel is just perfect!

Profile Picture Beth, 9/24/11, 5 Reviews
4.2

I found the value to be exceptional really good wedding package. The event coordinator seemed a little taken aback i am not sire if it was my assertiveness or same sex union. I would hope not the latter since it is san Diego and fairly common. Overall it was a nice experience. Their bar and restaraunt could use better customer service as it took awhile for them to get food out while doning there day nefore but as far as wedding in otself everything went well.

Profile Picture tunisia, 6/25/16, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)
3.4

Make sure go over all the details and keep good notes for yourself. Also get everything in writing. We were told they could accommodate our bar request and then 2 days before the wedding were told they couldn't. Luckily, I had this in writing so they were able to help me. Make sure you hire a day of coordinator. We had multiple sets of wedding crashers which the hotel did not seem to be aware of our do anything about. My day-of-coordinator took care of them though. There was also an issue with our open bar. Our guest were being charged for drinks for the first hour of our reception when they were not supposed to. I had to literally get up from my table and talk to a bartender to get this resolved. Looking back, I probably would have went with a different hotel had I known about these incidents.

Profile Picture User7285040, 1+ year ago, 2 Reviews
3.3

I just had my lovely wedding at the Lafayette, the venue is beautiful and the food was delicious! My complaints are about the wedding planner Jeanene; first off she is contracted as the planner there so she is not on site very often which made things difficult when trying to get a hold of her/setting plans. Two times we met with her she had just come from the golf course and was dressed in weird golf clothes, I called her two other times to find out she was golfing and could not confirm my plans/answer my questions due to being out of her office. So at first she seems really nice and gives us hugs each time we meet, but then she starts eating off of our plates at the tasting (she works there couldn't she have asked the chef to make her another plate at another time?).Then as the date gets closer (1 week out) she starts hassling me for numbers/decisions when I had been trying to ask her about it a week or two previous when I had time to figure it out, she never replied (she had a bunch of weddings in June/July but being a planner means you need to plan ahead) which made me mad because I had tons of things to think about the week of my wedding!Then she said she would not put together my simple centerpieces (sand, water, floating candle) and that if I wanted she could give me a staff member to do it for $50/person/hour, I told her it would take all of 15 minutes but she didn't seem to care, me and my fiance ended up doing it the day of (as if we didn't have enough to do). Then the timeline she proposed was really terrible, she wanted us to do our speech right before the cake cutting but we accidentally did it after the other speeches (like 3 hours before scheduled cake) and it worked out best because everyone was still there to hear it. The final thing that really made me mad was that she was supposed to charge my dads card for the reception but instead of making it one lump sum she charged it 6x for diff amounts which triggered the cc company to put a freeze on it.

Profile Picture michelle, 7/6/13, 6 Reviews
2.4

We had our wedding at the beautiful Lafayette Hotel in 10/2013. The venue charming, the hotel staff accommodating, and we got wonderful comments on the hotel catered food. The reason for the low rating was because of the catering manager/coordinator Jeanene Bartell. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the only source of my frustration during planning stemmed from Jeanene.

1. Finalizing a date took 2 additional weeks because she wouldn't answer my emails/phone calls. Finally, we called the hotel manager requesting another coordinator. Jeanene finally called and said she had "email problems" (interesting note: we never again had "email problems").
2. When dealing with contracts, day-of-itinerary etc, I had to make multiple requests for the same corrections (and some were never corrected)
3. MANY guests gave feedback that she was condescending/rude to them. The wedding day, she wasn't feeling well (food poisoning), which I was sympathetic to. But if she made the commitment to be at the wedding to coordinate, she should at minimum be professional - not "mean" to our family members and friends.
4. She gave the DJ the wrong day-of timeline (I repeatedly asked her to correct it prior to the wedding day), then called him a "moron" for getting things wrong.
5. Accountability: There were many issues re: the hotel block; she said she would handle it, but problems persisted. Additionally, we paid for a secured parking for the wedding, but on the wedding day, guests said the lot was not open. Jeanene promised a refund (never came). It has now been 3 months since she has responded to me.

This is just a FEW of the issues we had (I have more stories). No wedding is without hitches; I never expected a perfect day. But what I DID expect was a coordinator who did her job. The wedding is just one day, and we had a happy day despite all these things. We laugh about it, but I would hate to subject any others to the frustrations that we experienced because of Jeanene.

Profile Picture Grace, 10/26/13, 4 Reviews