128 Reviews for The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms

Stations (2)
Limited Bar (1)
Valet (1)
113 The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms Reviews

My husband and I celebrated our wedding reception in the Virginia Ballroom on July 14, 2018. We could not have had a better experience! We booked the John Marshall within a few weeks of getting engaged and began the year and a half of planning right away. Amy Loving and the staff at the John Marshall were always so courteous, willing to help, and easy to get in touch with. Amy immediately became available to answer our questions and provide us with ideas and tips. As the planning picked up as the wedding got closer, Amy was quick to respond to emails or set up a meeting for us to chat more. Each time I spoke with her or the staff members at the John Marshall I felt special, understood, and relieved. The John Marshall hosts many events and sometimes even multiple weddings on the same day, but there was never a point where I felt like “one of the bunch”. Our day was treated like the special occasion that it was. They were all quick to help us create a day that felt like ours and helped make late night food menu modifications to include our favorite food, TACOS! The tasting was so fun and the food on the day of the event was warm, delicious, and received rave reviews from our guests. We still cannot get over how smoothly the whole day ran. With the reception running so smoothly, we were able to focus on what mattered that night like our guests and enjoying each moment of the night. Amy and the staff worked with each of our vendors and were professional in all interactions. The John Marshall was my dream reception location with its tall ceilings, chandeliers, and grand décor. The ballroom photographed like a dream. I could not have higher praises for the John Marshall, Amy, or the staff and would recommend it to ANY fellow bride or person looking to host a special event. We are so thankful that we made the decision to have our reception at the John Marshall Ballrooms.

Profile Picture Christina, 7/14/18, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We all had a wonderful time. We did it by email and telephone from NC. Amy did a fabulous job and provided exactly what we wanted

Profile Picture Frances, 6/30/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

We had a wonderful experience with the John Marshall and Homemades by Suzanne for our wedding reception. Amy did a WONDERFUL job making our wedding experience just perfect. Food was excellent! I would highly recommend this venue to anyone.

Profile Picture Lindsay, 4/7/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Our daughter's wedding reception was held in April 2018 at the John Marshall Ballrooms. From begiinning to end the experience was great. We utilized the bridal suite, lobby and larger ballroom. The food, the ambience and staff were wonderful. Highly recommend !

Profile Picture David and Barbara , 4/7/18, 2 Reviews
Category: Band, Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor, Photography, Wedding Cake

The team at the John Marshall is wonderful. I had the most perfect wedding day because of them. I would recommend this venue and catering to everyone! So many of my guests have taken the time to tell me how beautiful the venue was and how amazing the food was. Seriously best venue EVER!

Profile Picture Faith, 4/6/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

The venue is very elegant and classy. The entire night created a pleasant and lovely experience for my guest and wedding party. As a bride, I had to worry about nothing when it came to my venue. The staff provided EXCEPTIONAL service throughout my entire event. Without hesitation, I would recommend The John Marshall Ballrooms

Profile Picture Kandice, 3/23/18, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

We loved our experience with the John Marshall Ballroom! Amy Loving was incredible from the start. She met with us and ensured that we were able to envision exactly how the day would go. She did a walk through with us before the wedding as well as a food tasting. Homemades by Suzanne made the entire event! People were raving about the food especially the ham sandwiches. All of the jMB staff were extremely reactive and kind to all of the guests. The ballroom was GORGEOUS, and we could not have asked for a better ambiance. THANK YOU TO THE JMB! We will definitely be recommending this beautiful venue with a ballroom, lobby, and bridal suite to our friends in the future.

Profile Picture Casey, 3/22/18, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Chairs, Dance Floor, Tables, Bridal Suite, Indoor, Parking

The staff at Hotel John Marshall were wonderful to work with. The food was fabulous and the atmosphere fantastic!

Profile Picture Karen, 3/10/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

We recently had our wedding reception at the John Marshall and could not be more impressed. From the very beginning Amy was accommodating and helpful at answering every question we had. She was in contact with us throughout the year of planning and made sure our timeline was perfect! The food by Homemades by Suzanne was incredible!! Our guests were quick to tell us how great they thought the food was. Setup was a breeze, the staff also cleaned up and set everything aside that we brought in, so the day after wasn’t spent gathering everything for hours!! We had such a fantastic, stress free day, and we couldn’t be more greatful! Thanks Amy & the JM staff!!

Profile Picture Rebecca, 1/20/18, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

We were so impressed with the John Marshall! Amy Loving was very accommodating to our many requests. We were very glad we had rented both ballrooms, one for the ceremony and one for the wedding so that we could take over the entire space. Wonderful downtown wedding experience!

Profile Picture Martha, 12/31/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My fiancé and I are so glad we selected John Marshall as our wedding venue because it set the whole tone for our special day! Once we stepped foot in the John Marshall, I think we both knew that was where we would have our wedding. The John Marshall Hotel is a historic venue that was fully renovated and has a grand ballroom and a smaller ballroom. The lobby is stunning with white marble and a large staircase, which makes for an excellent cocktail hour spot. We were lucky to have worked with their Event Planner, Amy Loving. Amy was very flexible and ensured that we were happy. She was very professional and stayed on top of everything so that nothing went wrong. The venue does way more than I realized when we started touring them. So much goes into the planning, organizing, coordinating for the wedding, but the most important part is the execution. Everything went so well and we will always recommend Amy Loving and the John Marshall for anyone having a wedding, work party, retirement party, New Year’s Party, or any event. The entire staff was so friendly. We want to add an additional note about the food, as well. If you book an event at the John Marshall, they have an in-house catering company called, “Homemades By Suzanne.” Before your event date, you will get a scheduled hour where you can sample various items that sound appealing from the menu. We received many compliments from our guests on the food and atmosphere!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 12/30/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

From securing The Marshall Ballroom, to answering every annoying question I had under the sun, and picking the menu, Amy Loving was wonderful in helping make sure our special day was perfect! Since our wedding, many of our guests have commented on how beautiful the space was, how great the food was, and how organized and professional the staff was the day of our event, and have said they will book for future corporate parties and many of my “hope to be engaged soon” girlfriends have commented on how they will keep TJM in mind for their big days!

Profile Picture Haley, 12/16/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I can't say enough good things about our experience with the John Marshall and Homemades by Suzanne! Amy and Emily were so nice and helpful! Many of our guests commented that the food was not "typical wedding food"--and it wasn't! We had MANY varied food choices to pick from when choosing our menu. The wait staff were incredibly kind and helpful throughout the reception, and they even set up a small private room with wine and appetizers for my husband and I so we were able to enjoy a few minutes together after arriving at the venue, before our grand entrance.

Profile Picture Barbara, 10/21/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

Fabulous venue with great staff and delicious food. Honestly can't think of anything we'd change. Flawless execution by Amy. Highly recommend the JM.

Profile Picture Kristina , 9/16/17, 1 Review
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

All I can say is WOW! The John Marshall far exceeded all of my expectations. It all started with working with Amy. She is simply the best. So easy to work with and extremely accommodating. She made sure every detail was exactly how we wanted it. And the venue itself: absolutely gorgeous! The food: amazing! People are still talking about how good the food was, from the appetizers to the main course to the late night snack bites. The entire staff was second to none and I could not appreciate them more. The location was also perfect. We could not have picked a better venue for our wedding!

Profile Picture Angela, 8/19/17, 8 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The wedding reception at the John Marshall was just what we wanted. A beautiful venue. The food and service was excellent. Very professional staff from the beginning to the end.

Profile Picture Bruce, 8/12/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

The John Marshall was the perfect space for our wedding! Working with Amy was a true pleasure. She was knowledgable and always quick to respond. The rest of the staff was equally kind and professional, always on top of everything and more than happy to help with anything. The food was delicious and plentiful, as was the bar. I would highly recommend the John Marshall to anyone who wants to have a beautiful ballroom wedding and a low-stress planning process.

Profile Picture User5368367, 1+ year ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Chairs, Dance Floor, Tables, Bridal Suite, China, Glassware, Linens, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Liquor License, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'Oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s), Tastings, Parking

We loved everything about our reception at the John Marshall. Amy and her staff were wonderful from the very beginning. She was responsive and organized throughout the entire process, and really made everything easy. The reception was great and the food was delicious! We highly recommend the John Marshall!

Profile Picture Stephanie, 6/17/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

The John Marshall was the perfect venue for our wedding! One of the main reasons we selected the John Marshall as our wedding ceremony and reception venue was not only because the ballrooms are absolutely beautiful, but the John Marshall staff is top notch. From the very beginning Amy Loving exceeded all of our expectations. Amy was knowledgeable, professional, and was incredibly personable. She was incredibly helpful during the planning process and was always quick to respond to all of our questions. The rest of the John Marshall staff was also very professional and always on top of everything. The venue captures a historic, classic Richmond vibe and is just beautiful. It really was everything we dreamed. The John Marshall provided our linens, flatware, glassware, tables, chairs, and table numbers which was amazing! The signature drinks and food were delicious. Our guests are still raving about how much they loved the venue and the food! I would highly recommend the John Marshall to anyone who wants to have a worry-free and beautiful Richmond wedding!

Profile Picture Melanie, 6/3/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Parking, Chairs, Dance Floor, Tables, China, Glassware, Linens

Amy, along with the entire staff at The John Marshall was exactly what we needed/wanted for our wedding. We held both our wedding ceremony and our reception there. We had our wedding on a Sunday which allowed us the chance to utilize both of the beautiful ballrooms (Ceremony held in the Marshall room and reception held in the Virginia room) and have them both to ourselves. We'd chosen our venue while still living out of state so communication was a BIG deal for me. Amy's communication was top notch. She responded to any and every question that I had very quickly. She was professional, knowledgeable, and personable. The venue is absolutely beautiful and everything we dreamed; we didn't need to bring in lots of decor (Those chandeliers and large windows speak for themselves). Having linens, flatware, glassware, tables and chairs provided alleviated a stress for me which was amazing! The food selection that we had for both cocktail hour and our plated dinner was absolutely amazing. The service was certainly white glove level of service. One of the moments I remember vividly is coming in thru the back door...which I loved; Like a secret agent so no one could see me LOL and having Meredith take us (myself and the girls) up to the bridal suite to wait to be called down to start. The attendant that was there in the bridal suite (her name escapes me) made sure we had cold water and champagne and also made sure I was cool (she literally put my feet on a pedestal and positioned the fan to blow under my dress so I wouldn't be hot). That took the service to another level for me as soon as we'd gotten to the venue. Their willingness to satisfy your needs and their attentiveness to the guests was more than I could've asked for or expected. I would highly recommend The John Marshall Ballrooms for any event! They exceeded all of my expectations!

Profile Picture Nekeisha, 5/7/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: China, Glassware, Linens, Parking, Valet, Indoor, Chairs, Dance Floor, Tables, Bridal Suite

Amy Loving and the John Marshall Ballrooms were INCREDIBLE! We met with Amy back in 2015 and her bubbly personality and easy going attitude made it an easy choice for us! We used the Marshall ballroom which is the smaller of the two. It is GORGEOUS! The natural light from all the windows and the beautiful chandeliers...it's amazing. Amy answered ALL of our questions and trust me, I had a MILLION of them! and she was wicked quick with the responses via email. What i loved most, was that the catering was included! It made it so easy! We had a great time taste testing the food and the staff was professional and just overall incredible!! The food was spectacular...all of our guests made comments about how delicious the food was!!!!
I HIGHLY recommend Amy and the John Marshall Ballrooms to any future couples interested in getting married in Richmond!!!

Profile Picture Lisa, 3/25/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Unique Services (Other)

My husband and I chose the Virginia ballroom for our wedding reception on 3/25/17 and we are so happy with our choice! Serving our guests good food was really important to me, and the food was delicious. Paired with the excellent service, it couldn't have been better (we received so many compliments!). Amy Loving was great to work with throughout the planning process and answered each and every question we had very promptly, and she was also extremely kind and professional. We had our cocktail hour in the lobby, which added extra beauty and character to the big event in the ballroom. We couldn't find another venue quite like it during our search and we're so pleased with our choice. We wanted to have a Richmond feel for our out-of-town guests, and the John Marshall definitely provided it. A "plus" is that the furniture (tables/chairs), linens, and dishes that are provided are very tasteful and neutral, so that is one less thing for the bride to worry about! Thank you John Marshall and Amy for such a wonderful experience that we'll treasure forever!!

Profile Picture Joanna, 3/25/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Chairs, Dance Floor, Tables, Indoor

My fiancée and I started looking at venues beginning January 2016. We had multiple venues booked for walk-throughs with John Marshall Ballrooms last on the list. We fell in love with every venue we visited and were wondering how we were going to pick one. Luckily for us that decision was easily remedied when we visited John Marshall Ballrooms and Amy Loving, Venue Booking Coordinator.

First off, John Marshall Ballrooms is GORGEOUS! It was an old hotel that was visited by the likes of Elvis Presley and Elizabeth Taylor. It was recently renovated and the rooms turned into condos. There are two rooms available for rent. One large room that could be a concert hall and a smaller room in the front of the building. Immediately walking into the hotel, we safely assumed we could not afford it, but proceeded with our tour as we simply wanted to view the building.

Amy Loving greeted us with a huge smile and took us on our way. She is so polite, professional and her willingness to work with us made it love at first sight. After a short tour, we started going over pricing and realized that, to our surprise, John Marshall Ballrooms was within our budget.

To make a long story short, John Marshall Ballrooms / Amy Loving were AMAZING! It is without question the best venue we looked at and was priced along the same lines as the others. We can't imagine paying the same price for anything else. JMB was absolutely perfect in every way. The venue is absolutely stunning, the food is amazing, the staff was polite, professional and at-your-service. Amy Loving was always quick to respond with our nonstop questions. Even on her days off. I received an out-of-office reply from her on a question I'd asked and assumed I wouldn't hear from her for days. She responded within 10 minutes or so.

We are 100% in love with this venue, the staff and Amy Loving! Everything was perfect and we cannot brag about their level of awesomeness enough.

Profile Picture Carroll, 2/25/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I was a little nervous about sharing the venue with another wedding, but the staff at the John Marshall quickly eased my fears. Everything went smoothly. From cocktail hour to dinner to cake cutting, the night could not have gone any better!

Profile Picture Allison, 12/31/16, 1 Review