The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms Reviews

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 1
The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 2
  • Sydney

Sydney · Married on 01/26/2019

Must pick place for your wedding

I couldn't have asked for a better/ easier experience. We came to the John Marshall about 7 months before our wedding. We met with Amy Loving and she showed us the entire venue. She gave us all our options up front and went through each of them thoroughly. Amy accommodated every financial concern we had and went above and beyond at fulfilling our dream wedding. She answered every crazy email I sent her within 12 hours. No later. I can't say enough amazing things about her.

And the food!!! Oh my gosh the food! It was so good!!!
    The total we spent included both ballrooms (one for the ceremony and one for the reception) as well as the lobby for cocktail hour, open bar, and food for 90 people.

You truly cannot go wrong with the John Marshall Ballrooms!

Sent on 02/12/2019
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 3
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 4
  • Traci

Traci · Married on 12/22/2018

Fairytale venue

The venue is stunning and when my selections were added it became a fairytale. Amy Loving was responsive and gently redirected me when my ideas wouldn’t yield the result I wanted. The staff was kind and accommodating the day before and day of wedding. The room was set exactly as intended. The venue was spotless. Our guest are still talking about how perfect the venue was. Truly a great representation of old school Richmond elegance. We’ve decided to host an annual Christmas Party at the John Marshall.

Sent on 01/02/2019

Deb · Married on 08/11/2018

If you want perfection, beauty, fabulous food and drinks and top notch professional service look no further than the John Marshall Ballrooms. The prices were very reasonable in our opinion for what we got. Planning the reception was the easiest part of the entire wedding planning process with Amy Loving at the helm. I send her so so many emails and she ALWAYS responded right away. I can't say in words how much she made this process so easy and was able to take care of absolutely everything I wanted to do. Amy is the consummate wedding professional. I felt completely confident with her in charge.
    The staff was professional and expert at what they do. The signature drinks were fantastic, the appetizers fabulous and the dinner was delicious,. The salads were cold and the filet mignon and crab cake were hot. No one had to wait. Amy knew how many bartenders we should have and there were no lines.The tables were set beautifully .The lobby is so gorgeous and what a beautiful setting for the cocktail hour. The ballroom was so perfect for a near 200 person sit down dinner. The room was gorgeous. The dance floor very large . We did have a lighting company add some special touches and the room looked magical. Tables can accommodate 8-10 very comfortably. The standard linens, table settings and china are elegant as well as the chairs. No need in my opinion to go extra there. I wish there were more comments allowed here. A great bridal suite included to get ready the day of.

Sent on 08/20/2018

Elizabeth · Married on 08/11/2018

Beautiful venue and AMAZING service! Amy was so attentive and always available to answer our questions. They are extremely professional and experienced at handling any and all issues that may come up on your big day. We didn't have to worry about a thing. Both ballrooms and the lobby are absolutely stunning, and our guests raved about the food. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking to get married in downtown RVA.

Sent on 08/27/2018

Hailey · Married on 08/04/2018

Amy Lovings and the entire staff at The John Marshall Ballrooms/Homemades by Suzanne made our wedding day one we will never forget. The space was beautiful and functional, the food was delicious, and the team was extremely accommodating. We used the Virginia and Marshall Ballroom, The Club Room, The Bridal Suite, and The Guest Suite. Each one was perfect for what we needed them for. The space was great for our 220 person wedding. It didn't feel too tight but it didn't feel empty either. The food was all delicious and we continue to receive compliments about it. The location is central to many hotels in the area making it simple for guest to get to and from the venue. I was hesitant about using a ballroom because I liked more of a unique look but with the amount of people we were expecting, it was difficult to find a space big enough for us. When I went to tour the JM Ballrooms, I was taken back with how beautiful the space is. It is bright, with a vintage feel. The space is so beautiful that it does not require too many extra decorations. The marble stairs leading into the lobby is beautiful. This space is worth checking out to see if it would work for your wedding. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an all inclusive wedding feeling with an amazing staff!

Sent on 08/19/2018

MaryClaire · Married on 07/21/2018

From the moment we walked into the Virginia Ballroom, we knew this was the place for our big day. The ballroom, as well as the lobby where we had cocktail hour, are stunning. The quality of the staff matches the quality of the building, with Amy Loving and team answering our hundreds of questions and helping throughout the year as we planned our day. The actual wedding day was a joy, and all of our guests commented on how wonderful the food was! Everything went off without a hitch, and Amy made sure that we were well taken care of with food and drinks throughout the night. We are so grateful that we chose the John Marshall Ballrooms as the perfect venue for our wedding reception.

Sent on 08/26/2018

Christina · Married on 07/14/2018

My husband and I celebrated our wedding reception in the Virginia Ballroom on July 14, 2018. We could not have had a better experience! We booked the John Marshall within a few weeks of getting engaged and began the year and a half of planning right away. Amy Loving and the staff at the John Marshall were always so courteous, willing to help, and easy to get in touch with. Amy immediately became available to answer our questions and provide us with ideas and tips. As the planning picked up as the wedding got closer, Amy was quick to respond to emails or set up a meeting for us to chat more. Each time I spoke with her or the staff members at the John Marshall I felt special, understood, and relieved. The John Marshall hosts many events and sometimes even multiple weddings on the same day, but there was never a point where I felt like “one of the bunch”. Our day was treated like the special occasion that it was. They were all quick to help us create a day that felt like ours and helped make late night food menu modifications to include our favorite food, TACOS! The tasting was so fun and the food on the day of the event was warm, delicious, and received rave reviews from our guests. We still cannot get over how smoothly the whole day ran. With the reception running so smoothly, we were able to focus on what mattered that night like our guests and enjoying each moment of the night. Amy and the staff worked with each of our vendors and were professional in all interactions. The John Marshall was my dream reception location with its tall ceilings, chandeliers, and grand décor. The ballroom photographed like a dream. I could not have higher praises for the John Marshall, Amy, or the staff and would recommend it to ANY fellow bride or person looking to host a special event. We are so thankful that we made the decision to have our reception at the John Marshall Ballrooms.

Sent on 07/30/2018
  • F

Frances · Married on 06/30/2018

We all had a wonderful time. We did it by email and telephone from NC. Amy did a fabulous job and provided exactly what we wanted

Sent on 01/30/2018

Lindsay · Married on 04/07/2018

We had a wonderful experience with the John Marshall and Homemades by Suzanne for our wedding reception. Amy did a WONDERFUL job making our wedding experience just perfect. Food was excellent! I would highly recommend this venue to anyone.

Sent on 04/23/2018

David and Barbara · Married on 04/07/2018

Our daughter's wedding reception was held in April 2018 at the John Marshall Ballrooms. From begiinning to end the experience was great. We utilized the bridal suite, lobby and larger ballroom. The food, the ambience and staff were wonderful. Highly recommend !

Sent on 04/24/2018
  • F

Faith · Married on 04/06/2018

The team at the John Marshall is wonderful. I had the most perfect wedding day because of them. I would recommend this venue and catering to everyone! So many of my guests have taken the time to tell me how beautiful the venue was and how amazing the food was. Seriously best venue EVER!

Sent on 04/19/2018

Kandice · Married on 03/23/2018

The venue is very elegant and classy. The entire night created a pleasant and lovely experience for my guest and wedding party. As a bride, I had to worry about nothing when it came to my venue. The staff provided EXCEPTIONAL service throughout my entire event. Without hesitation, I would recommend The John Marshall Ballrooms

Sent on 04/06/2018

Casey · Married on 03/22/2018

We loved our experience with the John Marshall Ballroom! Amy Loving was incredible from the start. She met with us and ensured that we were able to envision exactly how the day would go. She did a walk through with us before the wedding as well as a food tasting. Homemades by Suzanne made the entire event! People were raving about the food especially the ham sandwiches. All of the jMB staff were extremely reactive and kind to all of the guests. The ballroom was GORGEOUS, and we could not have asked for a better ambiance. THANK YOU TO THE JMB! We will definitely be recommending this beautiful venue with a ballroom, lobby, and bridal suite to our friends in the future.

Sent on 04/04/2018

Karen · Married on 03/10/2018

The staff at Hotel John Marshall were wonderful to work with. The food was fabulous and the atmosphere fantastic!

Sent on 03/26/2018

Rebecca · Married on 01/20/2018

We recently had our wedding reception at the John Marshall and could not be more impressed. From the very beginning Amy was accommodating and helpful at answering every question we had. She was in contact with us throughout the year of planning and made sure our timeline was perfect! The food by Homemades by Suzanne was incredible!! Our guests were quick to tell us how great they thought the food was. Setup was a breeze, the staff also cleaned up and set everything aside that we brought in, so the day after wasn’t spent gathering everything for hours!! We had such a fantastic, stress free day, and we couldn’t be more greatful! Thanks Amy & the JM staff!!

Sent on 01/24/2018

Martha · Married on 12/31/2017

We were so impressed with the John Marshall! Amy Loving was very accommodating to our many requests. We were very glad we had rented both ballrooms, one for the ceremony and one for the wedding so that we could take over the entire space. Wonderful downtown wedding experience!

Sent on 01/10/2018

Elizabeth · Married on 12/30/2017

My fiancé and I are so glad we selected John Marshall as our wedding venue because it set the whole tone for our special day! Once we stepped foot in the John Marshall, I think we both knew that was where we would have our wedding. The John Marshall Hotel is a historic venue that was fully renovated and has a grand ballroom and a smaller ballroom. The lobby is stunning with white marble and a large staircase, which makes for an excellent cocktail hour spot. We were lucky to have worked with their Event Planner, Amy Loving. Amy was very flexible and ensured that we were happy. She was very professional and stayed on top of everything so that nothing went wrong. The venue does way more than I realized when we started touring them. So much goes into the planning, organizing, coordinating for the wedding, but the most important part is the execution. Everything went so well and we will always recommend Amy Loving and the John Marshall for anyone having a wedding, work party, retirement party, New Year’s Party, or any event. The entire staff was so friendly. We want to add an additional note about the food, as well. If you book an event at the John Marshall, they have an in-house catering company called, “Homemades By Suzanne.” Before your event date, you will get a scheduled hour where you can sample various items that sound appealing from the menu. We received many compliments from our guests on the food and atmosphere!

Sent on 03/04/2018

Haley · Married on 12/16/2017

From securing The Marshall Ballroom, to answering every annoying question I had under the sun, and picking the menu, Amy Loving was wonderful in helping make sure our special day was perfect! Since our wedding, many of our guests have commented on how beautiful the space was, how great the food was, and how organized and professional the staff was the day of our event, and have said they will book for future corporate parties and many of my “hope to be engaged soon” girlfriends have commented on how they will keep TJM in mind for their big days!

Sent on 01/04/2018

Stephanie · Married on 12/08/2017

Awesome Planner (Amy) and Food!

Amy is the BEST. She answers e-mails faster than anyone I know. She was always so nice and pleasant. She was on top of every little detail. She made my day nothing short of perfect.
    The food was amazing! You will not be disappointed with anything on the menu! They completely forgot to bring out our food (The bride and groom) so we ended up not getting to really enjoy our food at the reception :-( , but it was awesome at the tasting and all of the guests loved it!

Sent on 01/28/2019

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms's reply:

Thank you for the kind words. I am so sorry about your meals. I wish I had known that evening or sooner after to be able to correct/address it. I know that sometimes the staff will hold the couple’s dinner if they are walking around to guest tables in order to keep the meal warm. I recall placing your signature drinks on the sweetheart table under the beautiful arbor on stage but it is difficult to remember the details of dinner service with it being this far past. I feel our wait staff is very attentive to all guests, especially the newly married couple but I unfortunately have no explanation for the meals. I am very sorry. We would love to treat you & Cory to lunch when you are available! It was a gorgeous wedding and we all enjoyed celebrating with you, Cory, family, AND Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus 😊

Barbara · Married on 10/21/2017

I can't say enough good things about our experience with the John Marshall and Homemades by Suzanne! Amy and Emily were so nice and helpful! Many of our guests commented that the food was not "typical wedding food"--and it wasn't! We had MANY varied food choices to pick from when choosing our menu. The wait staff were incredibly kind and helpful throughout the reception, and they even set up a small private room with wine and appetizers for my husband and I so we were able to enjoy a few minutes together after arriving at the venue, before our grand entrance.

Sent on 11/19/2017

Kristina · Married on 09/16/2017

Fabulous venue with great staff and delicious food. Honestly can't think of anything we'd change. Flawless execution by Amy. Highly recommend the JM.

Sent on 09/23/2017

Angela · Married on 08/19/2017

All I can say is WOW! The John Marshall far exceeded all of my expectations. It all started with working with Amy. She is simply the best. So easy to work with and extremely accommodating. She made sure every detail was exactly how we wanted it. And the venue itself: absolutely gorgeous! The food: amazing! People are still talking about how good the food was, from the appetizers to the main course to the late night snack bites. The entire staff was second to none and I could not appreciate them more. The location was also perfect. We could not have picked a better venue for our wedding!

Sent on 09/05/2017

Bruce · Married on 08/12/2017

The wedding reception at the John Marshall was just what we wanted. A beautiful venue. The food and service was excellent. Very professional staff from the beginning to the end.

Sent on 08/23/2017

Maggie · Married on 07/29/2017

The John Marshall was the perfect space for our wedding! Working with Amy was a true pleasure. She was knowledgable and always quick to respond. The rest of the staff was equally kind and professional, always on top of everything and more than happy to help with anything. The food was delicious and plentiful, as was the bar. I would highly recommend the John Marshall to anyone who wants to have a beautiful ballroom wedding and a low-stress planning process.

Sent on 07/27/2016