The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms Reviews

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 4
The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 5
  • Karli

Karli Shank · Getting married on 12/08/2020

Perfect venue in every way

We picked this venue for its location (walking distance to many hotels), giant dance floor, and convenience (provides tables/chairs/linens/etc/caterers! plus two very different but equally beautiful ballrooms that make for a seamless transition from ceremony to reception if you use both). It checked the boxes that were most important to us but went above and beyond in so many other ways: suggesting drink specials and making signs for them, allowing our dog to be a part of the ceremony (didn’t end up happening from our end, but it was an exciting thought!), letting us bring decorations in days in advance (as there were no previous events scheduled in the days leading up), having a two bedroom apartment to rent for + clubroom for groomsmen, arranging our giant cookie table (and making it look stunning!), having planned cocktail hour appetizers and drinks of our choice in the bridal suite for a quick moment away, not making us feel rushed to get out on Sunday, & last but not least the John Marshall Ballrooms has Amy! Who answered all of our endless questions in a timely and kind manner and helped us work through all of the above to truly make our day stress free and one of a kind. THANK YOU!!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO ALL!!!!!!

Sent on 10/21/2019
  • Alyssa

Alyssa Wyche · Getting married on 08/14/2020

Such a beautiful place and great team

Amy has been such a pleasure to work with. She’s very understanding and flexible. Also we feel in love with this venue the second we saw it. It’s such a beautiful venue and doesn’t need a lot of dressing up

Sent on 09/20/2019

Krista Santoro · Getting married on 04/11/2020

Incredible evening

Amy and her staff at the John Marshall were out of this world. They were so incredibly organized and helped make our wedding reception one we would never forget. The staff is so unbelievably kind, everything was flawless. I would highly recommend the JMB to any couple getting married. We utilized the Virginia room for cocktail hour and the main ballroom for dinner and dancing, I would not change a thing about the evening, it was perfect.

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 6
    Sent on 11/27/2019

Kathryn Bradt · Married on 12/07/2019

Stunning Venue with Amazing Staff

As soon as I saw the Marshall Ballroom at JMB, I knew I wanted to get married there. The venue is stunning and comes with every amenity you could want for a wedding - a bridal suite, beautiful lobby for cocktail hour, coat check, and large guest restrooms so there are never lines, but JMB really shines with the staff.

Amy is the venue coordinator of your dreams and is there every step of the way. I used the same ballroom for ceremony and reception, and Amy and her staff flipped the room with ease. The ballroom was gorgeous and JMB's house linens and decor looked amazing (and it's included for free!). I loved every moment of my wedding at the John Marshall Ballrooms and cannot recommend them more.

Sent on 12/09/2019

Ron Morlock · Married on 11/02/2019

Absolutely Incredible!

It’s always a tough task trying to find the perfect place to have your wedding. When my, now wife, and I first walked into the John Marshall Ballrooms we instantly fell in love and knew this was the perfect place to get married. The ballroom, stunning. The staff, incredible. The food, perfection. We had 140 people attend our wedding, most of them from out of town and from New York. We all know us New Yorkers know how to have a wedding and the John Marshall did not disappoint. Amy was fantastic and always readily available to answer any and all questions we had. If I could do it all over again I most certainly would and wouldn’t think about choosing any other venue. Everyone had so much fun. They even had a two bedroom suite we stayed at that night when the festivities ended. I can’t wait for our photographers pictures to come so I can relive the amazing day. I would highly recommend this venue!

Sent on 11/16/2019
  • Meg

Meg Lawman · Married on 10/26/2019

Perfect Venue!

The John Marshall Ballrooms exceeded our expectations and proved to be the perfect venue for our wedding. Amy went above and beyond as she was extremely helpful from our very first visit. She was always available to answer our questions, no matter how minor or last-minute they happened to be. The ballrooms and lobby are stunning and provide a classical and elegant atmosphere filled with Richmond character. The food and desserts were beautifully presented and delicious. To top it off, the entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful to our guests. Having access to the guest apartment and the clubroom for the girls and guys to get ready made the day stress free and enjoyable! We highly recommend the John Marshall!

Sent on 11/20/2019
  • Allison

Allison Vogler · Married on 09/14/2019

Exceeded our expectations!!

Location was a prime reason we chose the JM. Our church is in walking distance. In hind sight, WE WOULD GO MANY MILES for this venue!! Everything went flawlessly for our wedding reception!!! Amy was very responsive and a pleasure to work with. There was another wedding in the building but most guests didn't even know. Homemades by Suzanne was fabulous and so delicious! As MOB I knew it was the perfect night when my daughter said before she left, "This exceeds my wildest expectations!!!". Pro Tips: 1. Book the apartment, great space, excellent natural light for photos, hair and make up. 2. Book the Club Room for the guys - ours LOVED it! 3. Book the Lighting Professors for the ballroom - they create the magic! THANKS again JM for a great event!!

Sent on 10/02/2019

Andrea · Married on 08/31/2019

Beautiful venue!

The John Marshall Ballrooms are so beautiful and unique! My husband and I were looking for something different since we are both in the hospitality industry and we immediately knew we'd found where we wanted to have our reception when Amy gave us a tour of The Virginia Ballroom. Amy is so helpful, responsive and accommodating, the food is great and we couldn't have imagined a better venue for our reception. Our guests had so much fun and are still talking about it!

Sent on 10/12/2019
  • Nicole

Nicole Kirkwood · Married on 07/13/2019

The John Marshall Ballrooms

My husband and I got married at the John Marshall Ballrooms a few weeks ago and we could not be happier with our decision. Amy Loving, the event coordinator for the John Marshall Ballrooms, was extremely professional and organized from the very first day we met her. She is accommodating to your schedule, communicates promptly, and is also detail-oriented. We received several compliments from guests on how cocktail hour and the reception were "flawlessly executed". We did not run into a single issue the day of the wedding and we have Amy to thank! We also received several compliments on the buffet dinner by Homemade by Suzanne. She had a wide variety of menu items to chose from and also offered a vegan option for one of our guests. If you are looking for a wedding venue in the heart of Richmond, this is the place!

Sent on 07/25/2019
  • Clint

Clint Meadows · Married on 07/09/2019

Beautiful venue set in downtown RVA

We loved having this venue for our wedding for its beautiful interior, location in downtown Richmond, and included "packages" in booking the space. The John Marshall is an elegant venue rich in Richmond history featuring large chandeliers and classic crowning all around. We used both ball rooms and we loved every minute of it. Amy was a pleasure to work with and made sure our night was perfect. The food was wonderful everyone loved it!

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 7
    Sent on 10/16/2019
  • Will

Will Nexsen · Married on 06/08/2019

Highly Recommend!

A huge thank you to the John Marshall Ballrooms for helping us put on a truly memorable wedding! As soon as we saw the space, we knew that it would provide a perfect flow between the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception, and it was! The ballrooms are beautiful; the food from Homemades by Suzanne was delicious; and the ease in which the JM team handled everything was amazing.

From day one, Amy and the JM team helped ensure that our vision was executed flawlessly--from using a personal recipe for our his/hers cocktails to lending an earring back right before walking down the aisle, the team could not have been more accommodating and helpful throughout the whole process and on the big day. I can't tell you how many emails I sent to Amy worrying about all of the many details, and she patiently and quickly answered all of them, made sure I was comfortable with what needed to be done, and then handled everything seamlessly for the wedding.

We would definitely recommend the John Marshall Ballrooms to any potential bride and groom!

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 8
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 9
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 10
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 11
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 12
    Sent on 06/18/2019

Jenny · Married on 05/04/2019

Beautiful, Classic Wedding Venue with Excellent Service

The John Marshall Ballroom was an excellent choice for our wedding! The Marshall Ballroom is beautiful with large windows and twinkling chandeliers. The food was delicious and just what we expected. Amy's communication was great! We always had answers to our questions quickly. We had even booked one date and had to change it due to scheduling conflicts with some family members. We worked with Amy to change our date without any hassle or extra deposits, etc. Amy and all the staff at JMB made the it a day to remember!

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 13
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 14
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 15
    Sent on 05/19/2019

Leigh Anne · Married on 04/06/2019

Gorgeous venue with sweet and helpful staff

We are so happy with the experience we had at the John Marshall ballroom. Amy was great at coordinating with us and helping us through the process of setting everything up and picking just the right food and drink for our wedding. They even went the extra mile to make a key lime pie for our cake because it's my husband's favorite! The space is beautiful and classic with a timeless grandeur that made the perfect backdrop for our pictures. I would most definitely recommend this venue for anyone and everyone!!

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 16
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 17
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 18
    Sent on 04/28/2019

Cherri S. · Married on 02/23/2019

Perfect Wedding Venue

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms + Amy Loving recently provided our family with a perfect wedding experience. From the outset, as well as throughout the planning process, Amy was responsive and helpful. No matter if the question was large or small, Amy deftly guided us with efficient answers and ample resources. The venue itself is stunning. With its perfect flow of spaces - to include the Marshall and Virginia Ballrooms with its gorgeous chandeliers, tastefully decorated lobby with multiple lounging areas, a grand staircase made perfect for those exit photos, spacious bridal suite and well equipped clubroom for the groomsmen - the John Marshall Ballrooms has it all. In terms of event execution on the day of, Amy and her team were tops. The combination of delicious food by Homemades by Suzanne, alongside flawless delivery by the service team, made our guests feel content and happy throughout the evening. All of these carefully crafted elements allowed us to immerse ourselves in what was most important: enjoying every moment of our joy filled celebration. Thank you, Amy Loving and Team!

Sent on 02/26/2019
  • Sydney

Sydney · Married on 01/26/2019

Must pick place for your wedding

I couldn't have asked for a better/ easier experience. We came to the John Marshall about 7 months before our wedding. We met with Amy Loving and she showed us the entire venue. She gave us all our options up front and went through each of them thoroughly. Amy accommodated every financial concern we had and went above and beyond at fulfilling our dream wedding. She answered every crazy email I sent her within 12 hours. No later. I can't say enough amazing things about her.

And the food!!! Oh my gosh the food! It was so good!!!
    The total we spent included both ballrooms (one for the ceremony and one for the reception) as well as the lobby for cocktail hour, open bar, and food for 90 people.

You truly cannot go wrong with the John Marshall Ballrooms!

The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 19
    The Historic John Marshall Ballrooms 20
    Sent on 02/12/2019
  • Traci

Traci · Married on 12/22/2018

Fairytale venue

The venue is stunning and when my selections were added it became a fairytale. Amy Loving was responsive and gently redirected me when my ideas wouldn’t yield the result I wanted. The staff was kind and accommodating the day before and day of wedding. The room was set exactly as intended. The venue was spotless. Our guest are still talking about how perfect the venue was. Truly a great representation of old school Richmond elegance. We’ve decided to host an annual Christmas Party at the John Marshall.

Sent on 01/02/2019

Deb · Married on 08/11/2018

If you want perfection, beauty, fabulous food and drinks and top notch professional service look no further than the John Marshall Ballrooms. The prices were very reasonable in our opinion for what we got. Planning the reception was the easiest part of the entire wedding planning process with Amy Loving at the helm. I send her so so many emails and she ALWAYS responded right away. I can't say in words how much she made this process so easy and was able to take care of absolutely everything I wanted to do. Amy is the consummate wedding professional. I felt completely confident with her in charge.
    The staff was professional and expert at what they do. The signature drinks were fantastic, the appetizers fabulous and the dinner was delicious,. The salads were cold and the filet mignon and crab cake were hot. No one had to wait. Amy knew how many bartenders we should have and there were no lines.The tables were set beautifully .The lobby is so gorgeous and what a beautiful setting for the cocktail hour. The ballroom was so perfect for a near 200 person sit down dinner. The room was gorgeous. The dance floor very large . We did have a lighting company add some special touches and the room looked magical. Tables can accommodate 8-10 very comfortably. The standard linens, table settings and china are elegant as well as the chairs. No need in my opinion to go extra there. I wish there were more comments allowed here. A great bridal suite included to get ready the day of.

Sent on 08/20/2018

Elizabeth · Married on 08/11/2018

Beautiful venue and AMAZING service! Amy was so attentive and always available to answer our questions. They are extremely professional and experienced at handling any and all issues that may come up on your big day. We didn't have to worry about a thing. Both ballrooms and the lobby are absolutely stunning, and our guests raved about the food. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking to get married in downtown RVA.

Sent on 08/27/2018

Hailey · Married on 08/04/2018

Amy Lovings and the entire staff at The John Marshall Ballrooms/Homemades by Suzanne made our wedding day one we will never forget. The space was beautiful and functional, the food was delicious, and the team was extremely accommodating. We used the Virginia and Marshall Ballroom, The Club Room, The Bridal Suite, and The Guest Suite. Each one was perfect for what we needed them for. The space was great for our 220 person wedding. It didn't feel too tight but it didn't feel empty either. The food was all delicious and we continue to receive compliments about it. The location is central to many hotels in the area making it simple for guest to get to and from the venue. I was hesitant about using a ballroom because I liked more of a unique look but with the amount of people we were expecting, it was difficult to find a space big enough for us. When I went to tour the JM Ballrooms, I was taken back with how beautiful the space is. It is bright, with a vintage feel. The space is so beautiful that it does not require too many extra decorations. The marble stairs leading into the lobby is beautiful. This space is worth checking out to see if it would work for your wedding. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an all inclusive wedding feeling with an amazing staff!

Sent on 08/19/2018

MaryClaire · Married on 07/21/2018

From the moment we walked into the Virginia Ballroom, we knew this was the place for our big day. The ballroom, as well as the lobby where we had cocktail hour, are stunning. The quality of the staff matches the quality of the building, with Amy Loving and team answering our hundreds of questions and helping throughout the year as we planned our day. The actual wedding day was a joy, and all of our guests commented on how wonderful the food was! Everything went off without a hitch, and Amy made sure that we were well taken care of with food and drinks throughout the night. We are so grateful that we chose the John Marshall Ballrooms as the perfect venue for our wedding reception.

Sent on 08/26/2018

Christina · Married on 07/14/2018

My husband and I celebrated our wedding reception in the Virginia Ballroom on July 14, 2018. We could not have had a better experience! We booked the John Marshall within a few weeks of getting engaged and began the year and a half of planning right away. Amy Loving and the staff at the John Marshall were always so courteous, willing to help, and easy to get in touch with. Amy immediately became available to answer our questions and provide us with ideas and tips. As the planning picked up as the wedding got closer, Amy was quick to respond to emails or set up a meeting for us to chat more. Each time I spoke with her or the staff members at the John Marshall I felt special, understood, and relieved. The John Marshall hosts many events and sometimes even multiple weddings on the same day, but there was never a point where I felt like “one of the bunch”. Our day was treated like the special occasion that it was. They were all quick to help us create a day that felt like ours and helped make late night food menu modifications to include our favorite food, TACOS! The tasting was so fun and the food on the day of the event was warm, delicious, and received rave reviews from our guests. We still cannot get over how smoothly the whole day ran. With the reception running so smoothly, we were able to focus on what mattered that night like our guests and enjoying each moment of the night. Amy and the staff worked with each of our vendors and were professional in all interactions. The John Marshall was my dream reception location with its tall ceilings, chandeliers, and grand décor. The ballroom photographed like a dream. I could not have higher praises for the John Marshall, Amy, or the staff and would recommend it to ANY fellow bride or person looking to host a special event. We are so thankful that we made the decision to have our reception at the John Marshall Ballrooms.

Sent on 07/30/2018
  • F

Frances · Married on 06/30/2018

We all had a wonderful time. We did it by email and telephone from NC. Amy did a fabulous job and provided exactly what we wanted

Sent on 01/30/2018

Lindsay · Married on 04/07/2018

We had a wonderful experience with the John Marshall and Homemades by Suzanne for our wedding reception. Amy did a WONDERFUL job making our wedding experience just perfect. Food was excellent! I would highly recommend this venue to anyone.

Sent on 04/23/2018

David and Barbara · Married on 04/07/2018

Our daughter's wedding reception was held in April 2018 at the John Marshall Ballrooms. From begiinning to end the experience was great. We utilized the bridal suite, lobby and larger ballroom. The food, the ambience and staff were wonderful. Highly recommend !

Sent on 04/24/2018
  • F

Faith · Married on 04/06/2018

The team at the John Marshall is wonderful. I had the most perfect wedding day because of them. I would recommend this venue and catering to everyone! So many of my guests have taken the time to tell me how beautiful the venue was and how amazing the food was. Seriously best venue EVER!

Sent on 04/19/2018