Modern DJ Reviews

6 | Cedar Rapids, IA

6 Reviews for Modern DJ

Lindsay · Married on 09/17/2016

Amber was amazing!! She helped a ton with planning, communicated regularly through the process, and was a key part of helping us pull off our special day. She directed us where to be and when during the reception, and was spot on in helping us and our guests have an amazing time. If you are considering a DJ for your wedding or special event, it doesn't get better than Modern DJ!

Sent on 09/22/2016

We loved working with Amber. She helped me step by step in answering all my questions & setting the flow of the night. She answered emails and phone calls very quickly and was very easy to work with. She understood what kind of music we wanted and didn't want played. We would recommend her to anyone.

Sent on 01/04/2015

We had such a great experience with Modern DJ (Liz)! She was super easy to contact, responded quickly, and was a pleasure to work with. Not only did she provide great music for the entire event (ceremony, dinner, reception), but before the wedding we gave her permission to run the show and she did a fabulous job. Liz was even able to come to our rehearsal so that we were able to practice timing with the music as well as using the microphones.

Liz pretty much did the work of a DJ and day of wedding coordinator and we were so grateful to have her! She made sure we stayed on schedule, released tables, made announcements, and provided a lot of great recommendations. I really appreciated that she checked in with me throughout the night to make sure things were going well. Her online request system is easy to use and she honored our music choices. She also handled guest requests really well. So so wonderful!

Sent on 10/15/2014

Elizabeth · Married on 09/08/2012

Liz at Modern DJ was a delight! She was very professional and constantly came to me throughout the night to make sure I was still happy with everything! She helped me plan a timeline which I had no idea how to map out and she stuck to it! She didn't spend alot of time on the microphone like some DJs do, she announced things to let the guests know what was going on and she was flexible if we got tied up taking photos. She even took photos of the ceremony and reception and gifted us with a CD of those photos and a bottle of something as a gift. Highly recommended!

Sent on 09/09/2012

Emilie · Married on 06/02/2012

Modern DJ was fantastic! Liz did such a great job and was a huge help through my entire wedding planning process. Not only did she play songs I requested to be played but on my invitations I had asked my guests to submit a song they'd like to hear and she played those too! She was great at keeping everything moving and keeping bodies on the dance floor. Best part was that she traveled to Stuart, IA from Cedar Rapids, Ia! I couldn't recommend them more highly, super professional and excellent customer service the care she showed proves they love what they do and take it seriously.

Sent on 07/11/2012
  • HalloweenBride

Shannah · Married on 10/26/2013

3.6
      2.5
      3.0
      2.5

At our initial consultation, both Amber and Liz were dressed very nicely - in blouses and skirts with their hair up. Amber was late to the consultation, and we spoke mostly with Liz during the consultation though Amber was the one that worked our wedding.

They have great forms on their website to send in songs, make a timeline of events, etc., and whenever I sent an e-mail I received a response within the day, which was reassuring.

Had a great phone consultation with Amber about a week before the wedding and thought everything was pretty clear. Come wedding day however I was a bit disappointed to be honest.

First, I listed that I wanted the DJ in formal attire. I was told this would be similar to what the ladies were wearing during our consultation. However, Amber showed up in floral pants and a over-sized sweater and I had one bridesmaid ask me why the DJ was wearing pajama pants and if she was going to change. It was embarrassing and I didn't know how to respond.

Even though we had a timeline set, Amber kept coming over to me asking me if I was ready for such and such event. Be it cake-cutting, first dance, father/daughter dance, etc. It made trying to enjoy dinner a bit difficult because it also pushed the timeline back and due to the venue, music had to be done at nine. I know I took most of her suggestions when she came up and said "Oh we can push it back a few minutes" here or there, but as a bride I was overwhelmed and just saying "yeah okay".

Dinner music was not as I asked - I stated 50's and 60's - fun stuff like Buddy Holly, got a lot of Frank Sinatra type stuff and SEVERAL Buddy Holly songs. Recessional music was supposed to start at chorus - Amber told me she could do this, it did not. She said she would mix up slow and fast songs, I think I only heard one slow song. The only group dance song I said was okay was Cupid Shuffle but others were played. More was not as discussed but I don't have enough space to write.

Sent on 11/06/2013