Lightwood House Reviews

7 | Spring Grove, VA

7 Reviews for Lightwood House

Tania del Carmen · Getting married on 09/10/2020

Gorgeous location!

I had the pleasure to photograph a fall wedding at Lightwood House. It is a beautiful venue with lots of stunning spots for memorable images. The interior of the house offers gorgeous window light and elegant interiors. The owners were incredibly helpful and attentive. As a photographer and fellow vendor I could not ask for more. Thank you for such a perfect experience.

Sent on 10/21/2019

Lightwood House's reply:

Thank you, Tania, for your lovely review. You are a delight to work with and your photographs are exquisite works of art. We look forward to working with you in the future.
  • Jay

Jay Kluk · Married on 12/10/2019

The perfect venue!

We got married at Lightwood House October 2019, and everything could not have gone better. I had met Cliff while he was working as a balladeer at Colonial Williamsburg and when he mentioned having an 18th century home, I knew I needed to visit. We made the choice to book Lightwood for our special day without my wife even seeing the place in person and my single visit. Upon our arrival for the wedding weekend, the magic and wonder of Lightwood House and the property was evident to her immediately and she was enchanted from the first. Guests needed to travel from afar as we have lived and grew up outside of Virginia, and they certainly cursed my name as they navigated the traffic and road construction to make it to the venue. However, each and every person had their questions of “why in the world would he make us drive all this way?” answered soon as they passed the gates and entered the realm of Lightwood.
    Cliff was an exceptional host! The entire process from initial inquiries, picking our date, welcoming us to Lightwood, and helping before, during, and after the ceremony and reception, Cliff exceeded our already high expectations. The house was tidy and welcoming upon our arrival and the grounds were well cared for. There is a large green next to the house which is a great spot for setting up a large tent for your guests. The trails through the wood is enchanting with exciting landmarks such as the fairy tree. In short, the entire Lightwood experience was outstanding. Cliff was kind enough to lend his musical talents to our ceremony, and played guitar for us. His son Thomas was extremely helpful as well throughout the day of our wedding with various needs. The time we spent there was so refreshing and we felt like we entered a special world where everything else disappeared.
    We highly recommend staying at Lightwood House, and I even asked Cliff they day of our wedding if we could book the house for our anniversary right then. I made sure to tell all of our guests that Lightwood is for more than just weddings and events, and that it makes a perfect vacation rental everyone needs to experience. Without a doubt we will be returning to Lightwood House multiple times in the future, and we cannot wait for the moment we turn down the scenic drive and see the beautiful house once more.

Sent on 01/13/2020
  • Mike

Mike Sherman · Married on 10/05/2019

Amazing venue, amazing service

We used Lightwood House for our wedding. The grounds lays out perfectly for a ceremony area, a cocktail area, and a place for a tent. Our guests loved the layout and found the history and decoration of the house very interesting. We would not have changed a thing.

Cliff could not have been more helpful, responsive, or flexible. He was fantastic.

Strongly recommend!

Sent on 10/28/2019

Lightwood House's reply:

Thank you Mike and Colleen. It was a pleasure and honor having your wedding at Lightwood. We truly love seeing guests having a great time there, and are very pleased you had a wonderful, special day. Thanks, Joy and Cliff

Jessica · Married on 04/28/2018

This venue was absolutely perfect for our wedding. Cliff and Joy were so helpful throughout the entire process of planning our venue. The inside of the house was so beautiful and created such a warm and inviting experience. There is a lot of places to take beautiful photos and they do an amazing job with keeping the grounds immaculate. When you walk into the house you are stunned by all of the architecture and how gorgeous the house is. I used the venue for my bridesmaids and I to stay in the house the night before and it was such an amazing experience. The owners were so inviting and helpful to make sure that I had the wedding of my dreams. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for an amazing and unique experience.

Sent on 09/20/2018

marie · Married on 11/11/2017

I had to move the wedding up from April 2018 to November 2017, due to the fact my father became ill. Searching for a venue was exhausting to say the least, and it was by sheer accident I came across Lightwood Plantation House. It was the best accident I could hope for. The location so beautiful very little was added to the ceremony or reception we let nature speak for itself. The house that my family and loved ones were able to stay in was breathtaking, especially for my dad who was happy the large tub was on the first floor, he said it was just for him. This is one part that made this place super special we did not have to rush to set up or prepare, we were able to have the grounds and house from Friday to Sunday, which was a big big help. Cliff and Joy were absolutely amazing, they went above and beyond. They created an amazing, fire pit for ones to gather and talk. He lined the walkway with torches so people could walk back and forth to their car's. On the day of the wedding Cliff was their blowing leaves off the walk way, putting straw down so people would not be standing in the mud from the previous day, this couple truly goes the extra mile to make sure that this place will stay in your heart forever. My newly minted husband has said he would love to come here for our anniversary, because we loved it so much, and the warmth that Cliff and Joy showed us, and the breathtaking ambiance of the home and woods made this a wonderful affair. If you looking for the perfect place to get married this is it. It's a gem hidden in the woods.

Sent on 11/19/2017

Cameron · Married on 09/16/2017

The lightwood house was such an amazing experience for me and my wife. First of all, Cliff was beyond helpful and catered to our EVERY need. He went above and beyond to make sure our special day was absolutely perfect for us. Not only was he hospitable, but he is very enticing as well. We had the honor of listening to his story of how he came about this house we also heard of his many adventures from when he was a youn man. He is the type of man you absolutely want on your team when preparing for such a glorious day. We had our reception which had an estimated 40 people and it couldn't have been anymore beautiful. The scenery was inspiring and peaceful, and my dogs absolutely loved the amount of land they could go and roam. Literally all of our guests were in awe of the beauty of this home and all the tales that precede it. I fell in love with this place.

Sent on 09/18/2017

Elizabeth · Married on 09/17/2016

Joy and Cliff were amazing to work with. Their venue was perfect for my wedding I didn't even need any decorations the beautiful venue was enough. My family and friends are still talking about the house and grounds. My niece was my flower girl and she thought the swing set was the best part of the reception. The garden in back was perfect for the before pictures. Once again thank you Joy and Cliff for helping make the day perfect.

Sent on 05/04/2017