Hotel Monaco Washington D.C. Reviews

52 | Washington, DC

52 Reviews for Hotel Monaco Washington D.C.

K · Married on 10/16/2010

1.8
      1.5
      2.0

I wish I had as wonderful of an experience at the Monaco as the other reviews. I planned my wedding for nearly 2 years so I was convinced everything would go as planned. What I had NOT expected was while I was out at the rehearsal dinner someone stole the crystal embellished sash to my wedding gown!!! The gown was only out of my sight for 4 hours during which the room was turned down and my sash (the only embellishment on gown) was stolen out of the zipped garment bag containing my gown and veil out of the closed wardrobe. The sash was on a hanger, the hanger was still in the bag but the sash was gone. I discovered this the night before my wedding, but before I totally freaked out I waited until the next morning so my parents could go home and be SURE the sash was not there. I woke up on my wedding day to the news from them that the sash was officially gone. The first thing I did was cry my eyes out on my wedding day. I then contacted the hotel management about the theft. They came up with the maids and searched the room...this is while the bridal party and I were getting ready in the suite complete with two photographers. NOT the wedding day I'd imagined at all. It was total chaos. The management was tearing sheets off the bed, suggesting perhaps I'd slept with the sash. They also asked if I'd taken out my own trash....in a hotel because it was possible I'd thrown it away. Seriously?!! It was a mess and eventually the management told me they didnt' believe the maid had taken the sash, but they had checked the room entry log and the maid was the only other entry into the room. So basically I felt humiliated because apparently the management decided I was lying about it despite having a picture of the dress with the sash at the final dress fitting and the receipt from purchasing it. It was such a mess and all the while Buddee our event planner never even bothered to show up and see if I was alright even though I had requested he come to the room nor did I even speak a word to him at all during the day. I seriously just cannot believe I got robbed on my wedding day and they did NOTHING about it. The only offer was to buy another of the sash. Clearly they don't understand there's really only one day in your life you can wear a fake diamond sash and that's your wedding day! The room wasn't comped, the management never directly apologized to me, I even sent a letter to corporate telling them about the experience and have yet to hear anything in response to a letter and email.

I had all sorts of other random issues with planning along the way including them never letting us taste the specialty cocktail (even though we asked to) and then running out of it within an hour, taking my half eaten wedding cake off the sweetheart table while I was dancing so I only got two bites of it, and changing the carpeting in the ballroom to the ugliest carpet on earth without mentioning the massive change to any of the brides, but the sash being stolen was the ultimate disaster. Once the guests staying at the hotel caught wind of the theft, they all rushed back to their rooms to stuff everything in their safes. It was SO embarrassing they had to fear for their things at what was supposed to be a nice hotel.

I seriously regret choosing the Monaco not only because of the sash situation, but also the lack of the great customer service the Kimpton brand claims to have even after the wedding. Clearly when one of my vendors reacted with 'can you still change venues' when I told her where the reception was, I should've listened to her!!!!

Sent on 12/04/2010

Luke · Married on 02/05/2011

1.6
      2.0

Venue was beautiful, guests enjoyed the rooms. However, customer service by the Special events/catering department was lax leading up to the 2 weeks before the wedding and immediately after. It was like we have our money we don't have to deal with the couple any more. I'll never recommend this venue without a planner or someone to get absolutely everything in writing from the Special Events/Catering department. Their lack of attention to detail and service lead to being overcharged and additional fees that have not been remedied fully.

Sent on 03/16/2011