Hotel Monaco Washington D.C. Reviews

52 | Washington, DC

52 Reviews for Hotel Monaco Washington D.C.

• Z

Zhia · Married on 08/29/2009

We could not have had a more beautiful wedding at a more beautiful and unique location. I highly recommend Hotel Monaco. This says a lot since my husband and I went to see 27 reception locations in the DC area (IN PERSON!!). I wished that we had gone to see Hotel Monaco first since we knew hands-down that it was the best the moment we walked in. The restaurant in the Hotel (Poste) is amaaaaazing and elegant.

Sent on 12/15/2009

Elizabeth · Married on 10/11/2014

I had my wedding ceremony and reception in the Paris Ballroom at the Hotel Monaco and it was magical. The room is lovely with lots of architectural details and natural light. For the ceremony, we stood under the skylight/atrium and enjoyed the natural light it provided. Then for the reception the room was transformed by uplighting that highlighted the columns and vaulted ceilings.

The food was amazing. It was far from your normal wedding fare. Several guests, including my father in law, commented that it was the best dinner they had had in recent memory, including at a restaurant! (And our crowd eats well.)

Service was impeccable and I felt taken care of by all of the staff, from servers, to bellmen, to the front desk.

Buddee Clinton has been managing weddings at the Monaco for a long time and he knows all of the vendors. Every time we met with a vendor they commented on how professional and easy to work with Buddee is. He has this wedding stuff down and made me feel confident that everything would go according to plan - and it did!

Guests commented on the beauty of all of the rooms, lobby, guest rooms and ballroom. Our wedding suite was stunning and the perfect place to get ready on the day of.

Sent on 11/06/2014

kelli · Married on 11/01/2008

The Hotel Monaco is the perfect place for a wedding. If you are looking for the convenience of a hotel but would like something different, this is the place! The Paris Ballroom is beautiful. We had a TON of compliments on our venue choice. Another unique thing about the Monaco is that the food is fantastic. Everyone at the reception mentioned how great the food was, which of course, usually isn't the case when food is prepared for a large number of people. The only downfall is that the cost per person is quite pricey, but it was well worth the money.

Sent on 11/23/2008

Jeanette · Married on 06/10/2017

We had our wedding reception at the Hotel Monaco and it was absolutely beautiful and everything went extremely smoothly. Working with Buddee was easy and he was always able to answer our questions. The hotel staff were kind and accommodating throughout the whole experience. They were able to set up our centerpieces and cake table even prettier than I could have imagined and the whole night was a dream. I would love to host another event at the Hotel Monaco!

Sent on 06/26/2017

We had a fantastic experience using the Hotel Monaco DC for our wedding. The food was STELLAR-- my picky foodie family was gushing about the lunch for a week, even the vegetarians. The venue is gorgeous, and really unique--a cool blend of funky/modern and historical--and you can't beat the convenience of the location. These are the awesome things that your guests will see. What made our experience even better were the aspects that only you will see, but at the end of the day, make all the difference. I shopped around a lot, and found that the Monaco was the best value of any DC venue for a lunchtime reception for 120 guests. Plus, your venue, catering, accommodations, and excellent day-of-coordinator are all in one place. Major sanity-saver! Buddee, the director of events, came off as a tad disorganized over email at first, but he really has it together, and made sure that every little detail was flawless on the day of the wedding (Jewish couples: he knows all the ins and outs of Jewish weddings; he even made sure that there was food and champagne waiting in our room for yichud!). The hotel and events staff were all wonderfully professional, attentive, and pleasant to work with, and our other vendors all had great things to say about working with and in the Monaco throughout the planning process. They've earned our gratitude and enthusiastic recommendation!

Sent on 11/12/2015

Kristen · Married on 03/15/2014

The Hotel Monaco has always been my dream location, and it was everything I had hoped for! Buddee Clinton, the wedding coordinator, is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Whenever we met with him it was clear we were in great hands! The hotel is beautiful and so unique - there's nothing else like it! The week of the wedding, the entire staff was so helpful and friendly they made it stress-free. The food was delicious, and the Paris Ballroom is a gorgeous ceremony AND reception spot.

Sent on 04/03/2014

Kate · Married on 09/28/2013

Buddee and the staff at Hotel Monaco made my wedding day absolutely perfect. Not only was the venue magnificent, but everyone involved made sure our wishes were fulfilled. The food was amazing, set up perfect, and staff was very professional. Buddee made sure the hotel had everything in order so that we did not have to worry about a thing. Every aspect was flawless and I would suggest this venue to future brides in a heartbeat.

Sent on 10/16/2013

Hotel Monaco and Buddee Clinton gave us the wedding we'd hoped for when we started the planning process. Buddee and his team are a well-oiled machine. They know what works for the venue and make the process smooth and easy as you plan. Buddee is a busy venue manager, so it occasionally took a few days to get a response to a question, but he always followed through and followed up. The ballroom is just beautiful. For our wedding of 150 guests, it was the perfect size to have space to move and dance while still providing the intimacy we hoped for with our wedding. Room reservations had some hiccups along the way, but everything always worked out (often with a little help from Buddee). The hotel and rooms are just lovely, and everything is so well-placed within the city for out-of-town guests. And the National Portrait Gallery across the street is an awesome place for wedding pictures! Finally, the food was delicious, and just as good the night of the wedding (for 150) as at our tasting for two. We recommend Hotel Monaco for your wedding venue without any hesitation!

Sent on 10/06/2013

Holly · Married on 04/30/2011

The Hotel Monaco was a beautiful spot for our wedding and the staff was excellent. All our guests commented on the setting, quality of the food and service. Buddee Clinton the Director of Catering and Special Events was wonderful to work with and all of his suggestions were wonderful- things we did think of and would have regretted not doing or doing differently. He kept the day and night running smoothly and my husband and I were truly able to relax and really enjoy ourselves.

Sent on 05/10/2011

Rebecca · Married on 03/26/2011

We LOVED the Hotel Monaco - the setting was beautiful (a mix of history with some modern style and colors). Buddee, the wedding coordinator at the Monaco, made everything run smoothly - we absolutely didn't need another coordinator; Buddee just made everything work! The food was delicious, and the wedding was just really, really fun. Hotel rooms are on the pricy side, but in general the value for the wedding was great - way better than anything else we considered for the event.

Sent on 04/27/2011

Entire staff, (the ENTIRE staff), was made aware of the event and all treated us very warmly. It made our destination wedding feel like we were really getting married at home. It was special to be in such a unique space and have the vendors make you feel as if you feel welcome. Amazing and prompt service. Only issue was with getting the group rate, not the quote, but the follow-through. Lots of my guests had problems booking rooms at our quoted rate, but this was eventually fixed with simple communication with the management staff (also very friendly).

Sent on 12/03/2013

Maya · Married on 06/28/2009

Hotel Monaco - DC was one of the best choices we made for our wedding! Buddee was a dream to work with. He knows his venue so well, he knows what works, and how to make the night flow. I knew all along that the Hotel would be beautiful and that if Buddee was in charge-- I didn't have to worry. I did hear from guests that there wasn't enough food at the cocktail hour-- which was a suprise since we were pretty clear that we wanted lots of food there. Guest did say that the food in the reception was WONDERFUl (we did chicken) which was great to hear. We were very happy with the choice of Hotel Manaco Washington, DC.

Sent on 07/18/2009

Hosting our wedding at Hotel Monaco was the best decision we could've made. Everything day of was perfect. Buddee was such a source of knowledge from the first time we met to the end of the night. Everyone commented on what a stunning venue it was and how wonderful the food was.

Sent on 01/25/2016

Julia · Married on 10/01/2011

Buddee, Betty, and the team at the Hotel Monaco were wonderful. The venue is on the pricier end, but you certainly get what you pay for and we did not have the sense that they were trying to sell us on additional items all the time, as I did with other vendors. The hotel was set up as promised, all details were taken care of, things were set up as we requested with no need to confirm more than once, and our guests were just thrilled with the quality of service. Buddee and Betty were a great team and made sure that we always knew what was going on. They kept us on schedule, too, and ensured that the time was special for us as well as our guests. The food was also delicious.

Would highly recommend them!

Sent on 11/23/2011
  • F

nancy · Married on 10/26/2008

My wedding at the Monaco was fabulous! The Paris ballroom is beautiful with the high ceilings and great dome in the middle. We were able to take pictures before the wedding outside in the courtyard which was a great setting for the pictures. The architecture throughout the hotel is amazing as it was an old building that was restored.

The food was also great, unlike as most weddings that we have been to. Very fresh tasting and good variety.

Sent on 05/05/2009

Stacey · Married on 10/24/2008

We had both our ceremony and reception at the Hotel Monaco in Old Town, Alexandria. This boutique hotel is very sheek and elegant, with a touch of modern art deco glamour. The outdoor courtyard where our ceremony took place is very charming. We had a great experience with all the staff; Paris ballroom was beautiful and the food was delicious.

Sent on 12/11/2008

Katie · Married on 01/22/2011

We really wanted to have our ceremony and reception in the same place, for the convenience of our guests, and Hotel Monaco DC turned out to be perfect. It's a beautiful old building with lots of character and, as others mention, Buddee and staff clearly know what they are doing. I think I most realized this after reflecting back on the day and realizing that I did not have to do anything/answer any questions from the hotel the day of the wedding - they had everything under control the whole night. They were there the whole time, but the only time I saw them was when I'd get a little tap and someone would tell me "ok, time for the father-daughter dance", etc, to keep things on schedule. Our two most important reception details were the food (we love to eat) and the dancing (our DJ was a friend). Poste obviously does excellent food (we had steak, chicken and veggie options) and we worked with Buddee on a timeline that would maximize dancing opportunities. It was a fantastic evening, and all our vendors were familiar with the hotel, which helped a ton from an organizational standpoint.

The only glitch in our plans was the reservations. The contract we signed had the room block name and the 1-800 number for guests to use. The first family members who tried to book rooms found our block wasn't showing up in the system, then we got that fixed, but then for a while our block was showing as sold out to people who called when it definitely wasn't. Also, our guests' rooms were scattered throughout the hotel and my grandparents got a gift bag to someone else's wedding. Overall, people were responsive when we brought the issues to their attention, but I was just kind of not expecting to spend time on those particular details.

Sent on 02/13/2011

Kristin · Married on 03/07/2015

3.0

My wedding has not happened yet - but I signed a contract with the Hotel Monaco DC. The building is gorgeous and historic and the ballroom is lovely - it has bookshelves and and entryway that make it feel very homey - but also a big skylight that is just gorgeous. Budee Clinton, the coordinator there, is great and responsive. We had the tasting a bit ago and that was so fun - we had a private room in Poste and they let us try all sorts of things - food and wine - and we helped plan everything. So far, my experience has been great! It's not cheap - but we wanted a nice hotel in downtown DC, so we weren't really expecting cheap.

Sent on 12/06/2014

Baht · Married on 06/23/2013

3.0

Everything ran flawlessly at Hotel Monaco. Buddee Clinton can be slow to respond in the beginning but ultimately delivers. The food was a little overcooked at the wedding-that was disappointing but I know it is hard to cook for such a large quantity. We had 175 in the room and it was wonderful. Our service was in the round. It was BEAUTIFUL, UNIQUE and nice to see faces of our loved ones during the ceremony. The natural sky light over our chuppah was amazing. It felt magical walking down the aisle into the room. I was nervous about there being room for the dance floor and a 10 piece band but the Monaco made it work and it was perfect!

Sent on 07/10/2013

Christine · Married on 09/24/2011

3.5

Buddee was great to work with. He was not always the quickest with responses, but always got done what I asked. Hotel Monaco is absoutely beautiful and we fell in love with it immediately. The staff was great and very accomodating. Be prepared to spend some money though, it's definitely not cheap, but worth it.

Sent on 11/02/2011

Jeff · Married on 09/04/2011

3.5

I highly recommend the Hotel Monaco as a venue for your wedding. This unique room looks more like a library in a mansion than it does a hotel ballroom. The dome ceiling, book shelves, and other details make this a very special room, while still having all of the conveniences of having your wedding in a hotel.

We had 190 people and although we were a little concerned about the size of the room, we all comfortably fit in the room, and the size made it very intimate without feeling cramped, The only negative of the room regarding its size is that it does not have the biggest dance floor. That being said, we were much happier to have some people dancing on the carpet, than having a huge dance floor that felt empty.

The food was AMAZING!!!! You cannot beat having Poste cater your wedding, because it provides food so far superior to the standard wedding fare. The service during the wedding was impeccable. All of the servers were extremely professional and made an extra effort to make sure Ethan and I were always comfortable and had what we need.

We had both our ceremony and reception at the Hotel Monaco in the Paris Ballroom, and they easily turned the room over in less than the hour that we were down the hall for the cocktail hour. Buddee Clinton, the events manager, has this down to a science.

Buddee was great during the day and leading up to the wedding, however, he had not arrived until after we began taking pictures around 3:30, so we were happy that we had a friend doing our day of planning for us to be an intermediary. Buddee really does know exactly what he is doing, and is great in person, but is not always readily available or respond very quickly, but it might just be that it is easy to forget he has many other weddings to deal with at all times. Sometimes you have to be a little forceful, as it seems that Buddee likes to do things the way he is accustomed to doing, but at the end of the day he took care of everything and absolutely knows exactly what he is doing, so my advice is to trust Buddee and listen to his suggestions, which were very helpful.

The schedule that we set out for the event got a little messed up, but we were the only two who noticed, so it really wasn't a big deal.

We LOVED the Hotel Monaco, which is a cool, funky hotel with a great history, and all of our guests who stayed there could not stop talking about it. If you stay here, make sure that you find Whitney and Jennifer at guest services, who both made an extra effort to make sure that us and all of our guests were very happy.

Sent on 09/06/2011

Sue · Married on 05/30/2009

3.0

Overall, our wedding at the Hotel Monaco in Washington, DC was great. On the day of the wedding, the staff was very accommodating and if you asked for something, they delivered. One point of concern was the slow response time to emails and phone calls (replies usually took about 5 days) during the planning process. I think they do so many weddings that they didn’t really care much about our business. No big deal but not as much personal attention as I thought other places might have had.

Sent on 06/23/2009

We had our New Year's Eve wedding at the Hotel Monaco this past year. We worked with their events coordinator from the very beginning of the process through the event. He was professional and timely in responses and offered thoughtful suggestions for our wedding day.

On our wedding day, the food and service was truly excellent. We always had drinks and snacks during the reception and our server was very attentive. The hotel also provided appetizers to my husband and I immediately following the ceremony since we missed the cocktail hour for photos. Guests raved about the bartenders and other wait staff during dinner. And of course the space itself is stunning!!

The reason I can't give this venue a 5 star rating is that many of our hotel guests were unable to check into their rooms at 3 pm, including my parents and other members of the bridal party who were getting ready for the rehearsal at 4 pm. They also overcharged several people inside the room block, which had to be corrected later and which was frustrating to our guests. Plus it made me feel bad to know that out of town guests had an extra hassle to deal with.

I would still recommend the venue to another bride in the future and hopefully my experience with the hotel rooms was an isolated event and wouldn't happen again!

Sent on 01/03/2017

Wendy · Married on 07/05/2008

Our wedding was beautiful! The Paris Ballroom at The Monaco is stunning and made for a perfect location for both our ceremony and reception. Buddee and his staff were very accomodating and easy to work with.

Sent on 10/06/2008

Katie · Married on 05/05/2012

3.4
      2.5
      3.0

I was a little nervous as my wedding day approached and I felt that my contact at the Monaco may not have all of the details in place, however I was happily surprised when our wedding day arrived and everything went incredibly smoothly. The hotel put forward a wonderful event and we couldn't have been more pleased. Our guests were wowed by the venue all weekend. I just wish they would have been more responsive and proactive in the planning process.

Sent on 05/31/2012