Hotel Monaco Washington D.C. Reviews

52 | Washington, DC

52 Reviews for Hotel Monaco Washington D.C.

Emily · Married on 04/06/2019

Highly recommend Hotel Monaco!

Having our wedding at the Hotel Monaco was one of the best decisions we could have made! The event coordination team is incredibly professional and took care of all the details during the weekend. Buddee is great to work with and helped us to think through all the details and then worked with our vendors to make sure the day went off without a hitch. We loved the space and the affordability and coordination efforts exceeded our expectations.

Sent on 05/05/2019

Sherri · Married on 04/21/2018

We held our wedding ceremony and reception at the Hotel Monaco. The Monaco was the perfect venue. I fell in love with the beautiful skylight in the room and the uniqueness of the hotel. Our chuppah was under the skylight, and it was just perfect with the natural light shining through during the ceremony. Guests loved the food, saying it was the best wedding food they had ever had, especially the beef. The dessert was also delicious!
    The night went by seamlessly thanks to Buddee. He is extremely organized and knows exactly what he is doing. I trusted him completely throughout the wedding planning process. It was truly a perfect day thanks to Buddee and the incredible staff at the Monaco.

Sent on 06/16/2018

Erin · Married on 03/18/2017

We planned our wedding in under 3 months, and with the help of Buddee at Hotel Monaco it was a truly seamless event and joy to plan. Our guests RAVED about the food - some of the best food they had at a wedding. Buddee helped us set up our reception so the night flowed and the tone was set early that we were there to celebrate - I have NEVER seen my friends and family dance like they did that night. It was truly exceptional. The venue speaks for itself in our photos and in the whole experience.

Sent on 03/26/2017

Cathy · Married on 12/03/2016

We were thrilled to be able to hold our wedding and reception at the Hotel Monaco. The hotel is unique and gorgeous, the food is absolutely delicious and the service is amazing. We had 153 guests and everyone was commenting about how they never wanted for food or drink and how smoothly everything progressed. Our wedding felt and looked like a fairy tale. And our photos were gorgeous! The hotel provides an array of fabulous wedding photo opportunities. We also had time for a quick photo shoot (just for me and my husband) at the National Portrait Gallery, across the street. Lastly, I cannot say enough good things about Buddee Clinton and his team. They were such a pleasure to work with. After the wedding, many of us went downstairs to Dirty Habit and continued the festivities. We informally met up again the next morning for a delicious breakfast.

Sent on 02/27/2017

Courtney · Married on 11/05/2016

The Hotel Monaco was an amazing venue to host our wedding. The quality of service from all the staff was wonderful. Buddee Clinton was easy to work with and great when bouncing ideas off of. He definitely has the experience to lead you in the right direction. The food at the reception was delicious and all of our guests commented on how wonderful it was. The service of the catering team was seamless. The hotel rooms are beautiful!! The location of the hotel is perfect as well. Most of the attractions of DC are in walking distance. As many of our guests said, and we agree, Hotel Monaco is First Class all the way!!!

Sent on 12/19/2016
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 10/15/2016

My husband and I recently got married at the Hotel Monaco and Washington, DC (October 2016) and had the best experience ever! So many of our guests commented that it was the most elegant and best wedding they have ever been to! We worked with Buddee Clinton at the Hotel for about 10-11 months before our wedding and he was always very helpful and responsive to my questions and emails and calls! We used the Paris Ballroom for both the ceremony and reception and it was just lovely. We used the Athens Ballroom for the cocktail hour. The food is absolutely fantastic. Our dinner started with a garden salad and goat cheese tart and we did a choice of the honey and herb roasted chicken or the grilled salmon. And we did both the pomegranate mousse and chocolate dome as the desserts among the guests. The dinner and dessert is so filling and delicious! We still had a wedding cake, but you do not need a massive cake at this venue since dessert does come with dinner! We had two bar stands which was great because no one was ever waiting for a drink and there was wine service with dinner! I would recommend this Hotel for anyone looking to get married in Washington, DC. The rooms have just been recently redone and the bridal suite was big enough for all of the girls to get ready in. We also used the new restaurant Dirty Habit for after-reception drinks in the outdoor courtyard area which was beautiful on a nice Fall night. All of our guests were very impressed with the hotel and we loved the fact that there were no other weddings at the hotel that night. The hotel is exclusive to your wedding in the fact that there cannot be another wedding happening in the hotel on the same night as yours. We can't wait to get back for our anniversary or just to have dinner at the restaurant! A perfect choice for the ceremony and reception!

Sent on 10/24/2016

Annie · Married on 09/17/2016

We had our wedding at Hotel Monaco this past weekend and it was perfect. The hotel is beautiful and all the hallways and the grand staircases were great places for our photographs. The main ballroom was also beautiful and perfect for our wedding of 125 guests. We got many compliments on our ceremony in a semi-circle. We also got a ton of compliments on the food. The ease of having everything in one location was great. Finally, Buddee Clinton, the event coordinator, could not have been more helpful in planning. I was not very stressed about planning at all, partly because it was clear Buddee would make sure everything ran smoothly, which he did! The only minor issue was that some guests told us they had a difficult time booking a room through the block. Overall, I could not recommend Hotel Monaco more highly!

Sent on 09/22/2016

maria · Married on 09/10/2016

The Hotel Monaco was the perfect choice for our wedding - highly recommend! We live in DC but our family and friends live all over the country (and across the pond in some cases) so we wanted to pick a venue in the heart of DC to make a super fun weekend for our guests. The Monaco was perfection! All of our guests were constantly complimenting everything about the hotel - from the rooms to the service to the location.

We did both our ceremony and reception in the Paris Ballroom. The Monaco team did a flawless job making every part of the night beautiful - and flipped the room amazingly fast! When it came time for the reception, the room was totally transformed. It was incredible. (Cocktail hour was in the Athens Ballroom - also very nice.) We ended up having about 155 guests, which was perfect for the ballroom size. We had a very dancey crowd so we went with the largest dance floor, which was necessary. Our DJ did uplighting on the columns, which looked great. We used Helen Olivia for flowers - highly recommend them as well.

All of Buddee's recommendations were spot on - from vendor ideas to day of execution details. Trust Buddee, he knows best! He was very patient with all my questions and requests and made sure everything went off without a hitch. Eric is the head of catering and could not be more kind, polite or great at his job. He oversaw our wedding until the end of the night and made sure every detail was executed flawlessly.

The food was really great - significantly superior to any hotel wedding food I've ever had elsewhere. Lots of positive feedback from guests on the food. We substituted a cheese display instead of doing dessert since we were doing a wedding cake, which worked out great. Bars and bartenders worked out perfectly - Buddee was accommodating at making adjustments to the beverage options to suit our tastes. We added an extra bartender, which I highly recommend - no issues with long bar lines throughout the night.

Sent on 01/30/2017

Sarah · Married on 08/27/2016

We were incredibly pleased with the Hotel Monaco! Buddee really knows what he’s doing and has amazing taste. He and Eric were exceptionally helpful, well organized, and wonderful to work with. We did not feel a need for a wedding or day-of planner, as Buddee provided us what we needed and was on top of everything, including the day of.

We and our guests loved the Hotel Monaco--the unique, unconventional hotel experience we had hoped for. Location, and front desk and other service, were great, the lobby and rooms are beautiful and recently redecorated, and bridal suite is great. Guests can even borrow yoga mats and bikes, and partake in free wine at 5 PM every day in the lobby.

The event rooms are beautiful. We didn’t spend extra for chairs or tablecloths, and the standard ones looked stylish and chairs were comfortable. Although it could fit more, the room worked perfectly for our 143 guests, and probably would have been fine up to 170 or so, even with a large band. Many guests danced most of the time, which was great and packed the dance floor, but it made for a fun, awesome vibe.

The room didn’t need much, but the classy, artistic flowers from Yellow Door were perfect. Baltimore’s Premier Event Solutions really transformed the already gorgeous room with 8 LED uplights and a dance floor light for less than half as much as the $2,000 minimum at other lighting vendors.

The 7-piece band (Bachelor Boys) including sax and horn was not too loud for our parents or older guests, though that would depend on the band’s sensitivity to this issue and their equipment.

The food service was amazingly well coordinated and fast, delicious, interesting, and beautifully plated. Passed hors d’oeuvres at the cocktail reception were also good. We also opted for 2 cheese displays and 2 veggie displays (total cost $870) at the cocktail reception, which our guests seemed to appreciate.

I am trying to think of anything to criticize, but amazingly I really can’t!!!

Sent on 09/11/2016

Lela · Married on 07/23/2016

The Hotel Monaco was the PERFECT venue for our wedding. They were so easy to work with, and made the whole planning process a cinch. Buddee and his team are excellent--efficient, calm, and knew every detail of the wedding perfectly. During the wedding, when we fell a bit behind schedule, Buddee and his team worked with the vendors to make adjustments so our photographer could capture all our special moments and we could have maximum time on the dance floor. The whole thing was seamless; we didn't have to worry about a thing. So many of our guests commented on the beauty of the venue (recently renovated), the delicious food, and the great service. I would HIGHLY recommend the Monaco as a venue; the pricing is also very reasonable for the area, considering all the things they included.

Sent on 07/24/2016

Mary · Married on 04/09/2016

Our wedding was at the Hotel Monaco in DC, and as my mother says "it was worth every penny." The reason we picked Hotel Monaco was because we were getting married in April and I am too much of a control freak to get married outside since you can't control the weather (especially in this area!). This hotel is really so special, and the Paris Ballroom is GORGEOUS. Hotel Monaco is not like any of the other hotels in the area- somehow it's able to be stylish, hip, impressive but feel intimate at the same time. Fantastic location with a lot of history. Also, the Paris Ballroom and hallways and guest rooms were recently renovated and they are stunning.

I can't say enough positive things about working with Buddee and Eric. You have to remember that Buddee has been doing this for over 20 years, so he REALLY knows what he's doing-just follow his lead and your day will be magical. He was patient and on the day of, Buddee and Eric made sure that everything went off without a hitch. After the ceremony as we began the reception, my husband and I were able to turn our brains off and follow Buddee and Eric's leads and just enjoy our wedding day. It was awesome.

The food was WONDERFUL. I really wasn't expecting it to taste like what we had on the day of the tasting (I've heard it never does) but...I kid you not, it tasted better. I have helped plan large events for the company I work for and I have high expectations, so I have seen excellent service and poor service, and I have to say that Hotel Monaco's staff is among the best. The food was delivered at exactly the same time and the water glasses were never empty (neither were the wine glasses)! My parents' friends were saying it was the best wedding they had ever been to.

I would 100% have my wedding at Hotel Monaco DC again if I could do it all over. I would not change a thing. Thank you to Buddee, Eric and the Hotel Monaco team for making our wedding day incredible!

Sent on 05/30/2016

Lisa · Married on 07/18/2015

The wedding was just perfect. Buddy was incredible from the first time we met to the end of the night. Everything was beautiful, great service and food. The staff was wonderful, especially Eric, we just had to enjoy the evening while they took care of everything!

Sent on 08/04/2015

Catherine · Married on 06/13/2015

My husband and I were recently married at the Monaco in DC. If we could do it all over, we would 100% choose the Monaco again. From the moment we stepped foot into the Monaco, we both knew that's where we wanted to get married. The hotel is a wonderful combination of funky and historic--it's not stuffy like so many of the other hotel options in DC. So many of our guests (and even some of the vendors) were enamored with the hotel and everyone is still talking about how amazing the food was. From a planning standpoint, everything was so easy. Buddee was wonderful to work with. He was responsive and flexible, and he, along with Eric and ALL of the Monaco staff, made the day stress-free and, most importantly, FUN. I cannot thank them enough for such a wonderful day!

Sent on 06/24/2015

Jessica · Married on 12/31/2014

Hosting our wedding at Hotel Monaco, DC made the planning easy! We chose this venue because we wanted the convenience of a hotel wedding but didn't want a generic ballroom. The ballroom in this hotel is warm and we were able to personalize by adding family photos to built in bookshelves. Buddee was so easy to work with and was really flexible with all of our requests. All of our guests commented on how nice the hotel was during their stay. Some friends even said that it was the best food they've ever had at a wedding!

Sent on 01/29/2015

Jennifer · Married on 09/13/2014

My husband and I just got married at the Hotel Monaco in Washington DC. WOW is all I can say. From the beginning, working with Buddee was so great. He has been working with the hotel for a long time and knows the ins and outs. Anything I contacted Buddee about, he would respond promptly and was always calm and in control. When it came to the day of, the place came alive. The entire staff seemed so excited about the wedding and Buddee orchestrated it flawlessly. I don't think my wedding would have been half of what it was at another venue - this was definitely a dream come true. If you are looking for a downtown feel for your wedding with a venue rich in DC history - this is the place for you!

Sent on 09/22/2014
  • User3531903 · 2+ years ago

We had our wedding reception at the Hotel Monaco and everything was exceptional! The service the entire year leading up to the wedding was first rate, and we were able to have the wedding exactly as we wanted it. Buddee Clinton (the Monaco's coordinator we worked with) was attentive and very helpful. One of those people who really knows what he's doing. He was there every step of the way, provided good advice on every aspect of the reception. In addition, he and Eric (his day of manager) worked with all of our vendors to make the whole thing process effortless. We had a dream wedding and Buddee's hard work really helped make the difference. The reception venue itself is beautiful, and if you're wondering about the service I can tell you it's just as good.

Sent on 09/22/2014

Julie · Married on 04/06/2013

I recently had my wedding and reception at the Hotel Monaco in DC. The entire experience, from signing the contract to the actual event, was handled exceptionally well. Buddee Clinton is by far one of the most competent, experienced, and all around knowledgable wedding and event professionals you will meet. Compared to other hotel venues in DC, we thought that the Monaco was actually a better value. The space is absolutely beautiful and we loved that it is a somewhat "quirky" boutique hotel. All of our guests loved their stay and are still talking about how beautiful it was. But back to Buddee, I really can't emphasize enough how helpful he was. You really don't need a wedding planner if you have Buddee. His other vendor recommendations were all fantastic. I would absolutely recommend the Monaco with 100% confidence.

Sent on 05/09/2013

Simply put, the Hotel Monaco made our wedding day perfect. It isn't inexpensive, but we found it to be worth every penny. The Hotel is practically one-stop wedding shopping for some of the hardest aspects of the event to coordinate - a gorgeous and historical venue that can host your ceremony, cocktail hour (cocktails at a set fee rather than by-the-glass), and reception, DELICIOUS food (our guests are still talking about how much they enjoyed their meals...and we hosted several picky eaters), and perhaps best of all, our Hotel coordinator Buddee Clinton. We liked him from the very beginning - he is calm, professional, extremely responsive (I sent him a LOT of e-mails, and he got back to me on every one of them), and he has helped coordinate tons of weddings before so he knows exactly how to help you plan the evening and ensure all goes smoothly. We found many of our wonderful vendors through his recommendation. Our wedding night went off without a hitch, and Buddee and staff were there the entire time to help make sure everything went according to plan. We loved the staff as well - all of them (waiters, bartender, Betty, Buddee's assistant) were all smiles, genuinely happy for us and a delight to have working with us. We would recommend this venue to anyone. THANK YOU, Hotel Monaco!!!

Sent on 09/13/2012

Amelia · Married on 06/30/2012

I highly recommend Hotel Monaco in downtown DC as a wedding venue. We had an amazing experience and couldn't have been happier with our well our day went. Buddee, the hotel's wedding planner, was extremely responsive to all our e-mails and requests. The hotel staff was very professional and welcoming. I was blown away with how beautiful the Paris Ballroom looked when it was all set up. We gave a whole bunch of little details to Buddee to set up and everything was executed to perfection. Doesn't hurt that the venue its self is stunning to begin with. The only issue we had (and it was minor) was that a lot of guest had issues setting up a reservation using the room block, something that wasn't the DC venue's fault, but I think Kimpton as a company overall. Anytime we had booking issues though, Buddee made sure it was taken care of!

Sent on 07/02/2012

The Monaco is an absolutely beautiful hotel and a unique historic venue with wonderful service. I am so happy we had our wedding there. We have received many comments about how nice everything was and how much fun family and friends had. Buddee at the Monaco put a lot of time into helping plan and execute our wedding; it was greatly appreciated. Also he was very responsive to our questions and very patient with my brother with special needs, to figure out the best way he could fit into the ceremony and reception and be the most comfortable.

Sent on 08/27/2012
  • jchort

Judy · Married on 12/31/2010

My fiancé and I are extremely satisfied with Hotel Monaco. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and our guests loved the space as well. The location of the hotel is perfect especially for all of our out-of-town guests. The service from the front desk to the valet was very attentive and made us feel important and special. In addition, Buddee Clinton was a pleasure to work with over the past year. He was very responsive via email and if a problem occurred he was sure to correct it right away. We had a cookie table which is a family tradition and Buddee/staff set up the cookie arrangement perfectly. I know it definitely took extra time away from setup but no one complained:) The only interesting thing about HM was how to make a hotel reservation. The guests could only call a certain 1-800 number and not the hotel itself or online. We had a little bit of trouble with this. My only wish for future brides/grooms is that they make all reservation avenues available to guests. However, that was our only hiccup.

All and all, the service, food and hotel were fantastic. The wedding reception was just perfect!

Sent on 01/10/2011

Aryan · Married on 08/14/2010

Gorgeous site for ceremony and reception! The Catering Manager, Buddee Clinton, is an absolute gem and the staff is extremely attentive, professional and customer service oriented. The food is a delight (not to mention Poste prides itself in using sustainable/organic products) and the bridal suite is absolutely gorgeous! There's something to be said about a boutique hotel, which really prides itself on its identity, culture, and attention to detail. It was a dream come true!

Sent on 08/26/2010
  • Marc C

Marc · Married on 10/17/2009

Buddee Clinton and company at the Hotel Monaco are wonderful at what they do! They were so easy and pleasant to work with throughout the planning process and made everything so easy for us running up to the reception and especially on the big day. They don't know the word "no" and did everything we asked of them. Our guests were incredibly happy with the food and service. Everything moved smoothly at the reception - the food was brought out quickly, plates and glasses were cleared promptly and the ensured all gifts and accouterments were promptly brought to our room. They did a great job making our event memorable for all!

Sent on 11/03/2009

Alexis · Married on 08/30/2009

Two and a half weeks ago I was married at the Hotel Monaco, DC. The venue was one of the huge components that made it my perfect day. Starting with the beautiful architecture to the funky decor I loved it from the start. Buddee Clinton, Director of Catering was fabulous to work with through my year of planning. He not only offered helpful suggestions but answered every single question I had through the year. The weeks before and day of, Buddee and his staff rose above my expectations by providing guidance and help with whatever needed. I was worried about how the processional would work and where people would stand .. and Buddee took care of all of these little details. The food was delish and all of our friends and family couldn�t stop raving about the venue. The Monaco really is a very special place to get married.

Sent on 09/15/2009