Gingerwoods Event Hall Reviews

24 | Prospect, KY

24 Reviews for Gingerwoods Event Hall

Carl · Married on 10/21/2017

Morton and his staff was wonderful to work with. Beautiful place to have a wedding. Thank you to all at Gingerwoods for making my daughters day.

Sent on 10/26/2017

Graham · Married on 06/18/2016

The venue was great. Everyone at Gingerwoods was very easy to work with.

Sent on 07/11/2016

Gingerwoods Event Hall's reply:

Thank you, Graham! We loved working with you all! All the happiness in the world to you & E.

Lesia · Married on 05/28/2016

Have a good backup plan in case it rains and you are having an outside wedding. Have some kind of good clean up plan because one hour to get things cleaned up and moved out went by FAST!

Sent on 08/02/2016

Claire · Married on 05/14/2016

If you're looking for a rustic venue for your wedding, look no further than Gingerwoods! The venue is absolutely beautiful, with options to have an indoor or outdoor ceremony and reception all in one place. The space for an outdoor ceremony is set against the backdrop of horses grazing in pastures, which makes for great photos. Plus there are rooms for both the bride and groom to get ready on site. My husband and I had such a great experience with the staff, as well. Morton and Sarah were amazing to work with and extremely accommodating, especially in the days leading up to our wedding. Since no one booked the Thursday or Friday before our wedding, we were able to come in and pre-decorate, saving us a lot of time having to set up the day of. Any time I had a question, Sarah got back to me with an answer right away and she's extremely polite and easy to get along with. So happy we chose Gingerwoods as our venue!

Sent on 08/09/2016

Mary · Married on 04/23/2016

This was a lovely venue. Being located right off of Hwy 42 in Prospect made it very easy accessible with plenty of parking. Working with Sarah and Darryl made the experience less stressful. They both gave us wonderful, useful ideas. My daughter's wedding was April 23rd and she wanted to get married outside. The weather cooperated and it was a beautiful spring day with the flowers in bloom on the hillside. The deck made for a wonderful cocktail hour while pictures were being taken. The church hall was comfortable for our 150 guests. The set up for the caterer worked well with it being in the back area of the church and out of sight from the main hall. Naiman's catering was awesome. Everyone raved about the food, especially the spicy bowtie pasta!
    The cost was reasonable but as with other venues, there were some additional fees. It was still well worth it.
    It was nice knowing that if we had to have the wedding indoors, it still would have been beautiful. Great having a plan "B" with no additional costs.
    Great venue, great day with great memories made!

Sent on 08/05/2016

Elizabeth · Married on 04/11/2015

Our wedding at Gingerwoods was simply beautiful. The white walls and light wood floors set in the Kentucky countryside, but so close to Louisville was just right. They were helpful with questions and our needs and even let us set up the day before, which is ideal when you have no wedding planner! There are constraints, like having to use the in house bar package, but we loved the bar tenders and we got to bring in our own alcohol, which saved us so much money. Overall we are so pleased with our reception and would definitely recommend Gingerwoods.

Sent on 06/21/2015

jackie · Married on 01/25/2014

I would like to say I don't know what venue some of these viewers were at because I found this staff of Morton and Juanita very helpful. They help made my day special. Please do not these reviews stop you for looking at Gingerwoods. To be honest we all have bad days, but if We as brides can admit we can be a handle full. This venue has one event planner who deals with different personality. Don't worry about these reviews you willl be around for years to come.

The Browns 2014

Sent on 02/05/2014

Connie · Married on 11/26/2012

I wanted to say that our event at Gingerwoods was excellent. It is a great facility for a group function and the staff was very helpful. I would give them a
    "5" ranking of satisfaction.

Sent on 12/03/2012

Brian and Cara · Married on 10/13/2012

Beautiful place. We couldn't have asked for a better place! Our friends and family were in awe! Even our photographer said it was her favorite place in Louisville to shoot a wedding. Staff at Gingerwoods is amazing and so helpful and make your day flawless. Scenery at this place is gorgeous and makes for beautiful pictures and an overall relaxing day. Great place to host any event and a beautiful place to have your wedding.

Sent on 12/04/2012

jane · Married on 05/25/2013

I just had my Silver wedding Anniv. at Gingerwoods not to long ago. I'm so happy about the out come. Everything was perfect and so was the staff. Thank you again.

Jane Cox

Sent on 01/18/2014

Cyndal · Married on 07/24/2010

I was very impressed with how Gingerwoods treated their clients. The staff was very friendly and really made the day of the wedding easy! Darrell was amazing he really went out of his way to make the day special, he even brought water to my grandparents because it was 110 degrees outside! The facility is amazing and makes for a beautiful wedding. I have recieved nothing but compliments of how great Gingerwoods looked and treated us. Morton, the owner, was very helpful and flexible, which made the day so much better. Also we had the rehearal dinner there as well and it really set the mood for the wedding day and made the wedding party and family even more excited about my big day! All I can really say is Thanks, it couldn't have been more perfect!

Sent on 08/24/2010

Bridgette · Married on 10/24/2009

The entire staff was great to work with! They were very friendly and helpful and detail oriented and they made great suggestions along the way! We were able to comfortable accomodate just under 200 people inside without even doing seating on the deck! It was the perfect size, style and area for what we were looking for, for our wedding. We couldn't have been happier!

Sent on 12/02/2009

Sharon · Married on 08/19/2017

Our Wedding day was Wonderful, the setting was beautiful. The Staff was friendly and helpful. The staff answered all the questions that were asked of them. I would definitely recommend Gingerwoods.

Sent on 08/25/2017

Rebecca · Married on 06/28/2014

Great event space made for a beautiful wedding day!

Sent on 12/03/2014
  • bridebeti

Beth · Married on 08/14/2010

3.5

We knew our August 14th wedding would be beautiful when we booked Gingerwoods, but we had no idea how stunning it would actually be! We had been biting our nails all week because thunderstorms were forecast for the evening of the wedding, and although Gingerwoods could accommodate an indoor ceremony, we desperately wanted the wedding to be outdoors because our ceremony readings, music, and homily all centered around a garden theme. Sure enough, the storms beganat 4 pm. Wind ripped, lightning flashed, there were tornado warnings in the vicinity, the electricity went out... Darrell from Gingerwoods, seeing my tears, took me into the office and pulled up the live weather radar online. He showed me how the storm was moving away from us quickly; although we were right in the middle of the storm at its most violent stage, the rain would soon stop. Not once did he or anyone else on staff try to convince us to move the wedding inside. By 5:30 the rain cleared and everyone went to work drying off the chairs and preparing the ceremony space. Darrel popped back in to ask if we wanted use an aisle runner that he had found to save my lacy dress from getting muddy. All of this while he was "off the clock!"

Looking back, everything about the day was perfect. The thunderstorm cooled the air, which had been in the upper 90s, and ushered in a breeze. The rain caused the many animals surrounding Gingerwoods to be more active- during our ceremony we had horses frolicking behind us and splashing in puddles, flocks of geese flying overhead, and camels from Henry's Ark (the petting zoo next door) peeking over the fence to check things out. The rain made the grass greener and a beautiful mist settled over the fields around Gingerwoods. It was amazing! We got so many compliments on our venue; more guests than we can count have told us that it was the most beautiful wedding they had ever been to. The wooden arch my husband made fit perfectly into the gorgeous landscape of fields and fences, and the serenity of the venue made our ceremony feel so intimate and relaxed- just what we wanted. We set up a "lemonade stand" on the lawn beside the deck, which we later moved to the deck after the ceremony, and the whole thing had a very homey feel to it. It was like we were having the wedding in our own backyard, except that we had enough room to accommodate 120 people! :)

The indoor reception went very smoothly, as well, although it's such a blur that I barely remember it. Gingerwoods is set up wonderfully for a reception and there was plenty of room for our guests to mingle, lots of dancing space, a stage for our band to set up on, and a huge deck for those who wanted to step outside for some fresh air.

The only reason that I am not rating Gingerwoods a "5" is because there were some services that should, in our opinion, be included in the rental package but are not. The tables and chairs are included in the price, but setup and breakdown cost an additional $150. One policy that really strained our catering budget was the 15% surcharge that Gingerwoods assesses on catering (if you pick one of their very expensive "preferred caterers," you still pay a 10% surcharge.) All in all, these were not the biggest of concerns but they are certainly things that you should be aware of and budget for if you choose this venue.

If you are looking for a gorgeous outdoor wedding space with lots of atmosphere and charm, go visit Gingerwoods! You will be blown away by its beauty, as we were.

Sent on 09/03/2010

Kathy · Married on 04/01/2017

Gingerwoods is a beautiful venue, in a country setting. My Guests loved it and everyone was happy. The staff was helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend Gingerwoods.

Sent on 09/06/2017

Louise · Married on 10/16/2016

My day was absolutely perfect, looked incredible and went off without a hitch thanks to the incredible team
    The amount of compliments we received on the venue at our wedding was overwhelming. I would definitely Recommend Gingerwoods

Sent on 09/01/2017

I just had a wedding at Gingerwoods Event Hall. I purposely picked the Fall because of the great scenery. I love every minute of it. The grounds keeper (Darryl) was great to work with and keeps the place looking wonderful at all times. I must dissagree with some of the reviewers; I found the staff at Gingerwoods to be very helpful and friendly. I never had a problem with the Events Coordinator. She kept things together and was always pleasant. I realize it is very hard working with brides and Mothers of the brides. I commended her on a job well done. She even came by the night of my wedding on her off day to make sure everything went smoothly. Darryl the grounds keeper would not leave on my wedding day until everything was together for me.

Overall, I strongly recommend Gingerwoods anytime of the year. Great place, great location and great staff.

Sent on 12/31/2012

M · Married on 02/13/2016

The grounds were beautiful and there was a lot of flexibility on what we could do in the space.

Sent on 08/02/2016

3.6
      3.0

The venue was gorgeous! The space was beautiful and you couldn't ask for better scenery. The only problem is there is a lady in the office who is their "Event coordinator" and she's clueless. She was nice, sometimes, just depended on the day I talked to her, but she lost all the information I sent her so I had to resend. We rented glasses and were later told we couldn't have glasses there even though nowhere in our contract did it say that and the place we rented them from said they bring them there all the time and I'd already paid for the rental. The staff there tried to tell the caterer they had to clean up the tables even though I'd paid extra for them to do so. They were snippy about it and quite rude to the girl even though she wasn't arguing with them. Once they read the contract they told her nevermind but didn't appologize. They just werent' helpful at all but it is a gorgeous place so... I just think if they got an actual coordinator there they'd be able to do a lot more with the place and people would have a better experience. I'd recommend them I'd just warn them that the lady in the office doesn't know what she's doing so make sure to keep everything. Luckily I did.

Sent on 07/30/2012

Rebecca · Married on 10/15/2016

3.4
      2.0

The hall and grounds itself were gorgeous but I had some issues getting in touch with the staff. I had scheduled a walkthrough of the venue with my wedding planner and when I showed up, all of the doors were locked and nobody was answering the phone. When I finally got in, nobody remembered that I had scheduled time to be there. There were a few instances when I had to send multiple emails to get a response. On the day of the wedding we didn't have any issues but after the wedding, I received a call from the venue with a voicemail asking me to call back. I called back many times and sent several emails and I still don't know why they wanted to speak with me (it's been 3 months).

Sent on 01/23/2017

2.6
      2.0

As other couples stated, the place is spectacular and the surroundings are gorgeous; however, unless you have a high-end budget, you'll be shocked with all the extra costs and the does and don't at the location. The cost for the site is really only for the site. we paid for the 9hr option and then paid an extra hour ($150/hour) so we could be there at 1pm - we were lucky that the venue was available the day before for set-up otherwise we would have been out of luck. And...although they have tables and chairs available inside there are extra charges for set-up and breakdown ($100) and an extra cost for set-up and break down outside ($150). There is surcharge for the food vendor of 10% or a larger percentage for vendors not on their preferred list. You are required to use their bartender at $30/hour + set-up and break down; and are charged 2.25 for non-alcoholic beverages and 2.95 for beer and wine service or slightly more for full bar; byob. I thought we might save some money putting it all together and using this site but that was clearly NOT the CASE!!
    Now, if this doesn't make you wonder a little about the extra added costs for the night, we had an interesting experience that would have brought bridezilla out in anyone....and no type of compensation was even offered --> Well... there was no water for the first 6hrs of the day of the wedding! A water main had burst the DAY BEFORE and the grounds keeper indicated it would be taken care of that day - then two-hours before the ceremony we received a call that there still wasn't any water. After five (5) phone calls to Gingerwood, I heard from Mort who explained it would be another hour - an hour later than what was quoted to a staff onsite - and there would be buckets of water available and hand wipes for the guests. The water situation was not fixed until about 8pm - 4hrs after he said it would be fixed...again, no compensation offered or even mentioned. Several guests departed early due to this inconvenience.

Sent on 11/04/2014

Christina · Married on 10/22/2016

2.4
      0.5

Not very accommodating. When booking them know that every small thing comes at a price. You'll have to pay for their bar services, bar tenders, and alcohol all separately. That's right, you owe Gingerwoods money for every person there drinking alcohol even though you are paying an outside bartender to serve them and then you're personally buying all of the alcohol they drink. Every vendor you use Gingerwoods will get a cut of making every bill you have more money. They are limited on tables and chairs. Also, YOU are responsible for taking the garbage out after your wedding day, setting up chairs and tables and taking everything down. I'm not quite sure what the money we paid Gingerwoods was for because the only thing they actually did was sweep the floor after we left.

Sent on 10/26/2016

1.4
      3.5
      1.0

Our wedding was absolutely gorgeous. We had close to 200 guests, with an outdoor ceremony and the reception inside. Gingerwoods is such a unique venue, and provided the indoor/outdoor wedding experience we wanted. The horses in the field adjacent to the ceremony came right up to the fence during our ceremony, which was an awesome bonus. There was also a man there the day-of to help us set up, and he ended up being very helpful. (maybe a groundskeeper?)

H O W E V E R , while Morton and Juanita (the owner and event coordinator) started out very helpful and cordial, it was an absolute nightmare getting my deposit back. It wasn't that there was disputed damage or anything like that -- we were told we would get our deposit back as soon as our caterer paid their surcharge. That happened within 2 weeks of the wedding, and we did not get our deposit back for over 2 months. Morton & Juanita were not on the same page about anything, so my calls and emails often ended with "I need to check with the other person." I was told they were the victim of identity theft and had their accounts drained, then was told twice that the check was in the mail. I believe these were all lies, but can't attest to the accounts issue. It was only after I threatened to take them to small claims court and file a claim with the Better Business Bureau that I got their attention and recovered my deposit. This was a last resort after they were given many opportunities to redeem themselves. Like I said, our wedding was gorgeous and the day was just perfect, but the way they treated me after the wedding was an extremely unprofessional and a disappointing way to end our dealings. Obviously the day-of is most important -- and that went very well (hence my "3.5" as a value rating and "recommendation to a friend") -- but when considering wedding vendors one should look at the big picture.

Sent on 12/04/2014