962 Main Street, Dubuque, IA 52001 Map · Phone number

About the Joy of photography

.....dare to be different

I have ten years of professioanl experience and an Associates Degree in Photography from Madison Area Tehnical College.  I am a member of the PPA (Professional Photographers of America)  My area of excellence is photographing in natural light.

In 2003, at the Wisconsin News Photographers Association Convention, I won five of forty awards given; with over 500 entries.

I have done freelance work for the following:

Telegraph Herald, Wisconsin State Journal, Budweiser, and Inside Wisconsin Sports Magazine.

Things to look for when choosing a photographer

First and foremost, be sure that your photographer is PPA (Professional Photographers of America) certified. It’s the only insurance that photographers can have. (Yes, I do have it!) I’m sure you’re wondering why you should care about this, well I’ll tell you. It’s the digital age, our cameras’ are computers and computers can let us down from time to time. Images can be lost (corrupt). With PPA I am backed by professional forensics that will retrieve the images for me. If they for some reason can’t recover the images I am covered up to $10,000 to recreated the event. Which would be very important if it were to happen during a wedding. Without the insurance it cost thousands of dollars to utilize the professional forensics. Make sure your photographer has this so that your investment is protected.

*Be sure your photographers’ personality messes well with you and your fiancé. This is very important, as your photographer will be a big part of your wedding day.
*If you are doing photos in the church, be sure that your photographer takes portable lights with them. Without the portable lights your images will look very dark and grainy.
*Be sure to see an entire wedding that the photographer has photographed. They may have a few great images, but you want to make sure that they do a great job capturing the entire day.
*When looking at the photographers images be sure to look closely at the wedding dress. Almost all dresses have detail in them; if you can’t see the detail, that means that they didn’t properly expose for the image. Which means chances are if you hire them, you probably won’t see the detail in your dress.

I’m sure you’re wondering why I’m giving you all of these pointers. Well, it’s because most people don’t know what to look for when choosing a photographer. There really is a difference in the quality of images you will receive depending on which photographer you choose. If you decide not to book with me, I want to make sure that you are taken care of.

• Jose Garcia Photography
fd8cca21a548df04 1223564068650 8D5G7762b
1b

4 Reviews for the Joy of photography

Sarah · Married on 05/20/2017

Joy was AMAZING! First of all, her photos are fantastic, but what really sold us was her personality and sense of humor. We were so glad we went with her as our photographer because she just clicked with our families and wedding parties and we all had a blast the day of! She put everyone at ease and was able to capture our day perfectly!

Sent on 12/16/2017
  • May Bride

Joann · Married on 05/09/2015

I cannot say enough about Joy. She was the best to work with and got some amazing shots. I would recommend her to anyone in the the Iowa and Galena area. Thank you Joy for everything you did for us to make our day feel so special. :)

Sent on 05/11/2015

Joy was amazing!
    She did anything I asked her to do/ capture. I went to see several different photographers and she was it once I talked to her. She came on the party bus with us and captured several awesome moments! We stopped by several different spots and she scoped out every one of them to get the best effect.
    The engagement photos were also amazing and she is the biggest sweetheart. If you go with Joy you will be very happy overall.
    In the future I will be using her to take any other photos I may ever need!

Sent on 07/18/2013

the Joy of photography FAQ

• What primary photographic style do you identify with?
    Contemporary
  • What photography services do you offer?
    Custom Graphics
    High-Res Images
  • What photography items do you offer?
    Albums
    Digital Files
    Flush Mount
    Prints

• 962 Main Street Dubuque, 52001 See on map
    8:30AM - 3 PM (After 3 by appointment only) Saturday by appointment only Closed on Sunday
    Location of (the Joy of photography)