18 W Main Street B, New Palestine, IN 46163 Map · Phone number

About The Cakehole

About The Cakehole

Hi, I’m Jovanna and I like cake.

Well, I didn’t always like cake. You might even call me a “cake snob”. If it’s dry and crumbly…no thanks! So I started making cakes that I would actually eat (everything made from scratch). Then I decided that I wanted to bake and decorate my boys’ birthday cakes. I mean, I saw some of the masterpieces on popular cake TV shows and immediately thought, “Eh, that looks simple enough. I can do that.” So I thought that I would let my older son’s (Jaxon) 2nd birthday cake be my first experiment. It turns out, there’s a lot more to it than I thought. It definitely looked like I let Jax make his own birthday cake. Tears were involved.

So I told myself that I would practice for a year and by his 3rd birthday party (November of 2009), I’d know what I was doing. I read everything I could read, watched every video I could watch, and my mom and I even took the Wilton classes (our instructor, Jackie, was so kind and patient and truly made us excited about learning). And I PRACTICED!! I have to say…I was pretty impressed with that tractor cake.

I posted a picture of Jax’s cake on Facebook and that’s what started everything! I started making cakes for family members and friends. Then friends of friends. Then I had complete strangers contacting me to make cakes for them. So I decided to pursue the business side of things and The Cakehole was born. I have loved the creative freedom that making custom cakes allows. I waited over a year (and made several cakes) before I ever agreed to make someone’s wedding cake. That is easily the most important day in a couple’s life and I didn’t want to jump in without being completely confident that I wouldn’t ruin their big day by delivering them a leaning, melting, slouching, heinous cake. I can’t thank Minh and Kristina enough for taking a chance on me and allowing me, as a complete rookie, to make their wedding cake. This gave me the confidence I needed to take The Cakehole to a new level.

NOW THIS PART IS REALLY IMPORTANT:

I love what I do! Sometimes I can’t even believe that I’m lucky enough to do it as a “job”. But absolutely none of it would be possible with out Momma! My mom has been working with me from the very beginning. She’s completely supportive and never stops telling me how proud of me she is. I mean, she literally tells me every day. She is the hardest working woman I’ve ever met. Even though she’s my mom, she knows that The Cakehole is “my baby” and allows me to be “the boss” in the kitchen. I cannot think of a single person I’d rather work with every day. We talk, dance, sing, play, and even manage to actually do some work together and it makes me love what I do even more! I get a front row seat to see just how supportive a mom can be. Without Momma Dar, The Cakehole simply would not be. With that being said, she has spent a LOT of time with me at the kitchen, bridal shows, setting up for weddings, events, etc. My dad has sacrificed a lot of time with his woman in order for those things to take place. He has also been incredibly supportive of me and truly wants The Cakehole to succeed. He has helped me numerous times with the legal and business side of things and I am so thankful for that! I have the best parents in the world. Period!

Sometimes returning emails and calls can take up a BIG part of the day. That’s where my sister, Jocelyn, comes in. She reports to me every day with questions and orders and then she responds to the customers because she knows that often I don’t get a chance to check my emails and calls until late at night. Jocelyn takes a HUGE load off of me by tackling this stuff and I can’t thank her enough!

Last year, The Cakehole welcomed Beth, our Cookie Monster, to the team. She has been a perfect fit with us and does, without a doubt, the best cookie art I’ve ever seen! She’s seriously amazing and we are lucky to have her!

And lastly, while I absolutely LOVE being the owner of The Cakehole, there is no job I love more than being a mommy to Jaxon and Jude. My husband, Jeremy, and my boys have been completely patient, loving, and supportive of me as I live out my dream. A lot of people ask me why I don’t have a store-front yet. There are a few reasons for that actually. However, the main reason is that if I had a store with set hours, I couldn’t go on field trips with my boys, help out with class parties, take them to appointments, take them to surprise their daddy for lunch, etc. So, with how things are now, I get to do both. I’d say I’m pretty lucky.

kena ca

The Cakehole 6
The Cakehole 7

Jan · Getting married on 05/09/2020

Professional and Friendly

Stepping into The Cakehole is like visiting your friend’s shop. Professional and friendly, Jovanna and her crew listen intently and help you create your wedding cake vision. The flavor profile is tasty, with delicious cake and icing that is pure perfection!

Sent on 04/18/2019
  • Alexandria

Alexandria Smith · Married on 07/13/2019

Amazing cake!

Jovanna’s cake is AMAZING!!!! We first met for a tasting and tried a few different flavors and then tentatively planned some details. Jovanna is super sweet and laid back. Her shop is really awesome and so are all the cakes she makes! Eventually we changed our wedding colors from navy and mint green to navy and pink, and we changed our little bridegroom cake decorations. Jovanna was really understanding and worked with us every step of the way. She really listens and wants to give you whatever your vision is for your cake. She really delivered on our beautiful wedding cake!! Our cake and cupcakes were absolutely delicious and I could not stop eating them for days afterward. Seriously, they are a dangerous thing to have around!! We decided on chocolate cupcakes and white almond cupcakes and they were a hit at the wedding. I am especially obsessed with those white almond cupcakes and will be going back for more soon.

Sent on 07/18/2019
    The Cakehole 8
    The Cakehole 9
  • Jordan

Jordan Bolyard · Married on 11/18/2018

Totally Satisfied

Jovanna was punctual, responsive, super flexible, and delivered a cake whose simplicity and class blew us away. We met for a single hour, tried cupcakes and discussed designs, chose flavors and never worried about it again. She delivered and styled the dessert table beautifully. Pricing was EXTREMELY reasonable, in a market that wildly inflates the cost of cupcakes. Everything was delicious. The black bottom cupcakes will make you cuss. Also she is just really, really comfortable to work with, and put us instantly at ease. Highly recommended!

Sent on 01/29/2019
    The Cakehole 15
    The Cakehole 16
    The Cakehole 17

The Cakehole FAQ

• What is the starting price for wedding cakes with buttercream frosting (per slice, without tax)? $ 3.00
  • What is the starting price for fondant wedding cakes (per slice, without tax)? $ 4.00
  • Which of the following are included in the cost of the cake? Anniversary Cake
  • What is the starting price for cupcakes (per cupcake, without tax)? $ 2.00
  • What types of desserts do you provide? Cake Pops, Cakes, Cookies, Croquembouche, Cupcakes, Dessert Buffet, Groom's Cake
  • What cake items do you provide? Cake Stands