401 W Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, Des Moines, IA 50309 Map · Phone number
Guest capacity 10 to 400
Availability Check your date
  • Pricing

About Science Center of Iowa

The sky's the limit for your upcoming wedding! SCI's facility rental program offers competitive rates, unique rental experiences and flexible menu options with professional, full-service catering. From a ceremony under the stars in the Star Theater planetarium to cocktail hour in our hands-on exhibits and beyond, contact us to learn more about hosting your event at SCI!

Follow Science Center of Iowa on

Science Center of Iowa 7
  • Michael

Michael Beall · Married on 07/06/2019

Great service

The science center was great. We had our ceremony in the star theater which was absolutely beautiful. And they were very accommodating and easy to work with.

Sent on 07/08/2019
  • Morgan

Morgan Miller · Married on 06/22/2019

Magical wedding day at the Science Center

We had both our reception and ceremony at the Science Center. Ronnie and the Science Center staff were so helpful and made our day go off without a hitch! Our entire day there was so magical!

Our ceremony was in the Star Theater, with 120 guests, which I would guess is max capacity. We got to pick out star displays for before, during, and after the ceremony, so the guests got a little bit of a show. I wasn’t sure what to do with ceremony decor so Ronnie recommended basic flowers/ferns in front of the podium. I’m so glad I took his advice because my ceremony looked so classy. We had fireworks go off right when we kissed which was a big crowd pleaser!

Our reception was in Principal Hall with 170 guests. We went minimal on decor here too, and instead got three BOGOs (stars and a moon). People were taking selfies with the moon all night (it looked very realistic), so that was a hit.

Overall the price was very reasonable for such a unique location, and if you hold back on decor, you can really pull off an affordable wedding here! I highly recommend.

Sent on 06/27/2019
    Science Center of Iowa 8
    Science Center of Iowa 9

Jenna · Married on 11/25/2017

The Science Center of Iowa is the perfect place to have a wedding. It is fun, big and classy. Ronnie Wells , the facility rental manager is a life-saver. He is professional, kind, enthusiastic and sincere. He worked very well with my husband and I and he showed us the absolute best that the SCI had to offer. Ronnie made everything a breeze and I truly believe our wedding would not have gone so perfectly without him. He made every accommodation for myself and my family possible, even though the facility was going through some minor remodel on the escalator and stairs which made getting around the venue difficult, but with his help it wasn't an inconvenience.

It feels like they do everything for you at SCI. The base cost of the venue was easy to understand, and the upgrades (Bar, tables etc) were also transparent and very reasonable. Ronnie and the others at SCI worked hard to tie their responsibilities in with the catering and cake and everything went smoothly. Ronnie did his best to keep my husband and I involved, to make our ceremony and reception perfect and unique to us. The space was perfect for my family and everyone had fun. I know that a crazy group like us can be a lot to handle but Ronnie and the others were amazing at putting up with us and helping us out entirely. I will recommend SCI to anyone and everyone for all types of events and I will be working with them again if ever I need space for entertaining again!

Sent on 02/26/2018
    Science Center of Iowa 14

Science Center of Iowa Pricing

Science Center of Iowa Price Rates

Science Center of Iowa FAQ

• Do you have a site fee for wedding receptions at your venue? Yes
  • What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during peak season? $ 2,000.00
  • What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during off-peak season? $ 2,000.00
  • Do you have a site fee for wedding ceremonies at your venue? Yes
  • Which of the following are included in starting site fee? Chairs, Clean Up, Event Planning, Lighting/Sound, Set Up
  • Which of the following are included in the cost of wedding catering? Server(s)
  • What is the starting price per person for bar service? $ 30.00
  • Which of the following are included in the starting price for bar service? Bartender(s), House Beer, House Liquor, House Wine
  • What is the maximum capacity of your venue? 400
  • What is the minimum number of guests required to book your venue? 10
  • How many event spaces or rooms does your venue offer? 15
  • Describe your venue: Banquet Hall, Museum
  • What kind of settings are available? Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor
  • What event services do you offer? Bar Services, Catering Services, Clean Up, Event Planner, Event Rentals, Get Ready Rooms, Lighting / Sound, Preferred Vendors Only, Set Up, Wifi
  • What catering services do you offer? Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Family Style, Hors d'oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s), Stations
  • What bar services do you provide? Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Liquor, House Wine, Liquor License, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine
  • What event items are available? Audio Equipment, Chairs, Dance Floor, Lighting, Tables
  • What months are included in your peak season? April, June, July, August, September, October, December
  • What months are included in your off-peak season? January, February, March, May, November

• 401 W Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway Des Moines, 50309 See on map
    5152746868 (311) (Phone number)
    Tues - Sat: 10:00–17:00 Sun: 12:00–17:00