Catalina Island Museum is a museum wedding venue located in Avalon, California. This museum, which was founded back in 1953, was created with the purpose of highlighting and sharing both the culture and history of the island. When it was first created, the founder wanted to ensure that it was a “well rounded” museum filled with different kinds of exhibitions. Throughout the years, it has retained this purpose and now welcomes guests to explore the various art, history, and films from the island’s past. Inside, visitors will find everything from pottery and tile to photographs and negatives that bring to life the island’s unique history. This museum is more than happy to open its doors for couples desiring a historic setting in which to exchange their vows. Best of all, not only will you be able to enjoy this rich backdrop, but you and your loved ones are also more than welcome to browse through all of the galleries during your stay.
Facilities and Capacity
Catalina Island Museum was designed in a Spanish Mission style. It has the signature Spanish features such as tile roofing and archways. However, it also blends in Art Deco touches. The museum features over 18,000 square feet of exhibition and support space. Couples can exchange their vows indoors or in an uncovered outdoor site. There are garden sites highlighted by colorful art pieces as well as the brand new Ada Blanche Wrigley Schreiner Building, which features five different event space options. Depending on your wedding size and needs, you can use just one, combine some, or use all of the spaces. This site can easily accommodate up to 300 of your loved ones. Additionally, as a waterfront venue, you and your guests will be able to take in the gorgeous clear water views in addition to the surrounding Catalina canyons.
In addition to being able to host your ceremony and reception at the Catalina Island Museum, you are also more than welcome to host your bridal shower, engagement party, and rehearsal dinner at the venue. Elopements are also welcomed at the museum. To make sure all of your needs are taken care of, the team can handle such things as catering services.
Recommended by 52% of couples
Nadia · Married on 07/14/2018
We had our wedding at the Catalina Island Museum on 7/14/18. I rarely ever write negative reviews but wanted to share what happened for other brides. If you plan to have more than 150 guests, the museum is a great option on the island, however the staff here is inflexible and really difficult to work with.Sent on 07/20/2018
Kellie was our main point of contact throughout the 10+ months of wedding planning and there were constant miscommunications and issues. At the beginning they were very accommodating and even price matched another venue and gave us a discount. But things started to change after we signed our contract. There have been 20+ versions of the invoice with over 15+ line items. Some examples of our issues:
1) One month before the wedding during our walk through, we realized their layout was not to scale so their so their solution was for us to pay an extra $1,600 to put the bar in the Artist Plaza (which is a connected area!)
2) Their prices for equipment rental were constantly changing. Linens started out as included with table rental, then were $5 each, then $10 each, then $15 each. In the end we had to rent them elsewhere for $1000+ two weeks before.
3) They forgot to tell the caterer about the champagne glasses we rented from them so they started serving wine in plastic cups halfway through the wedding.
4) When we asked about renting umbrellas, they told us the patio would be shaded by the time the reception started, however that wasn't the case and it was in full sun so guests were huddled in any shaded area they could find.
5) And lastly, despite the weather being 82 and sunny, when we asked about their contingency plan for rain, Kellie's response was "it doesn't rain in July", so basically they don't have a back up plan which is event planning 101.
Overall it's a great space but make sure you ask a lot of questions and dig into the details! Luckily our planner and caterer picked up the slack!
Catalina Island Museum Price Rates
A great company to work with. We highly recommend. Thank you Solace Weddings LLC