Nearby Vendors to Consider

About Carly Romeo & Co.

I am a feminist wedding photographer. That means I approach weddings as massive parties all about love and community and awesomeness, not Bride-centric, patriarchal, consumerism-paloozas. Being a feminist wedding photographer means I try to get to know you as a couple and capture parts of the wedding that make it an expression of who you are, not just the typical Wedding Shots (though we can do those too if you want). It means I'm all about documenting love and relationships and happiness beyond the traditional [heterosexist] narrative of Boy-Meets-Girl, Boy Proposes, etc. It also means that I am obsessed with creative, multicultural, complex, interesting, fun-loving, slightly wacky couples who don't take the whole Best Day Of Our Lives (TM) thing too seriously.

So, if it's important to you that the photographer you work with captures the whole, real, authentic story of your life and your love, without making you do cheesy poses: let's talk! I promise unique, lovely, images and simple, no-pressure packages starting at $2499.

Categories: Wedding Photographer

Regions serviced: Richmond

29 Reviews for Carly Romeo & Co.

High-Res Images (3)
Digital Files (3)
Proofs (1)

When we began planning our wedding, Carly was my one non-negotiable. I saw her photos and was immediately blown away. I knew she was the only person I wanted to shoot our wedding and reception. When we had our first phone call, I was immediately blown away. Not only did she have a strong commitment to the values that my now-husband and I hold dear (equality, justice, tolerance), but she also seemed like the kind of person I'd want to be friends with. I couldn't have possibly imagined just how special she'd make our wedding day, and she approached it with grace, creativity and a clear passion for being a part of people's love stories.

My husband and I were married in a private ceremony which meant Carly was so much more than a photographer. She was the kick-ass support system I needed in the limo ride to our ceremony while I was jittery and freaking out in the moments before our wedding. She captured amazing photos while we both cried our eyes out as we exchanged our vows. When I was exhausted and pretty much done smiling and posing for photos, she was good for a quick get-yourself-together pep talk to keep me motivated. Most importantly, she won over my two step-daughters and got them involved in our big day and enlisted them as photo assistants, complete with a loaner instant camera.

The photos were stunning, candid beautiful representations of one of the best days of my life and they captured our weird, offbeat family and friends for who they are. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Carly to anyone. She was truly the wedding MVP and I'm so thankful that we got to work with her.

Profile Picture Juana, 10/13/17, 1 Review
Services Used: High-Res Images, Digital Files

Carly was EVERYTHING I wanted and more in a wedding photographer. We instantly vibed on my vision for the wedding... I wanted to capture all of the special moments, emotion, and hilarious family/friend interactions, while passing on the cheesy staged photos and bride-centric glam shots. I appreciated the opportunity to chat and fill out the questionnaire before the wedding so we could make sure we were all on the same page. On the day of, Carly instantly put us (nervous and awkward humans who don't like to be center of attention) at ease and allowed us to focus our attention on each other and all the loved ones surrounding us. She captured all the fun, intimate, chaotic, hilarious, and touching moments of the day, while also highlighting all of the little things that made our wedding unique. Sneaking away for a golden hour couple photo shoot ended up being such a special time for us to exhale and ground ourselves amidst the craziness. Carly has an uncanny ability of tricking you into thinking you're just chatting with your new spouse but little do you know that you are actually GLOWING and looking so chic and natural in all your new favorite photos. Needless to say, her final product wowed us.... Her timing and eye for detail was impeccable! We loved all of the candid shots of the mixing and mingling of all of our guests, as well as some epic dance floor pics. Our friends and family are still raving about the pics and we're daily discovering new favorites. Worth every penny! THANK YOU CARLY.

Profile Picture Kalene, 6/17/17, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Of all the many things to stress about in a wedding, I was not expecting to find myself too concerned about the photographer. But the more I looked, the more uneasy I felt about it. Everything I saw when looking was staged and corny and saccharine -- and worst of all, everything I saw looked so uncomfortably, cringing-ly *heteronormative*. (I never thought I'd use such a vocab word in a wedding review!). Then, I found out the original photographer I was about to hire held what I felt were pretty terrible political views, and I kind of freaked out. That's when I found Carly. Holy crap, wedding photography AND feminism?! Could this be true?! And her portfolio was amazing! Carly agreed to match the quote I had been given and sent Matt out for my big day. The pictures were just beautiful, and captured the day so well. We did no posing, no weird staging, no grooms as props or other weird princess-bride nonsense. Just laughter, and joy, and love. They also were super flexible about working with a friend of mine who had agreed to be a second shooter as a wedding gift. The pictures were stunning, but I can't even describe how much of a relief it was to know that the people working behind the scenes shared my most deeply-held values. I know to some people the idea that politics might penetrate all aspects of your life is kind of a turn-off, but I felt like, especially on an occasion like this, it was so important to me that the people working with us understood us on this level. Anyway, the wedding album also just arrived for the holidays and my family was blown away by the quality of the physical book. Carly also sent me a little gift with a teabag, just cause! I can't recommend Carly and her team enough, and I so insanely grateful that she and her team were part of my day, and gave us the most beautiful photographs that we will cherish forever. Carly saved me! I can't thank Carly enough for providing this service, and Matt for capturing the day.

Profile Picture madeline, 6/3/17, 1 Review