Carly Romeo & Co. Reviews

34 | Richmond, VA

34 Reviews for Carly Romeo & Co.

Carly Romeo & Co. 1
Carly Romeo & Co. 2
Carly Romeo & Co. 3
Carly Romeo & Co. 4
Carly Romeo & Co. 5
Carly Romeo & Co. 6
Carly Romeo & Co. 7

Robin Smith · Married on 09/22/2018

Couldn't have asked for better!

It was a total delight working with our wondering photographer Matt and we loved our photos. The style, grace, professionalism, and overall spirit of Carly Romeo and Co made the whole process a really great experience.

• Blair

Blair · Married on 08/04/2018

Carly was absolutely stellar! My husband (!) and I both agreed that she was our number-one vendor at the wedding. She was professional, flexible, and a blast to spend the day with, and kept the show running smoothly even with the usual chaos of bridesmaids/groomsmen/kiddos. The portraits and formals are gorgeous, and she picked a beautiful on-site location for our first look. Our church only allowed shooting from the back balcony, but she nevertheless got some wonderful shots. She captured so many small moments that would have gone unnoticed otherwise and was totally game when we hopped a Lyft to our reception and stopped to shoot some hoops in a park on the way. And I love that she's dedicated to making sure you get prints and an album—her photos are too good to be stuck on a hard drive! They're real heirlooms.

Carly Romeo & Co. 8
    Carly Romeo & Co. 9
    Carly Romeo & Co. 10
    Carly Romeo & Co. 11
    Carly Romeo & Co. 12

Erin · Married on 06/30/2018

Choosing a queer-friendly, feminist photographer was at the top of our list when it came to wedding vendors. Working with Carly was an absolute dream, and I wouldn't change a thing about our engagement shoot or our wedding day. Carly is so much more than a wedding photographer. She really gets to know each person individually, and also gets to know you as a couple. When we said we wanted to do our engagement shoot in the mountains, SHE suggested a sunrise hike to the top of a beautiful vista. She has the most creative ideas and made us feel so comfortable in front of the camera, which is kind of a big deal because at first we were nervous about someone else being privy to some pretty intimate moments. Working with the Carly Romeo & Co. crew was a lovely experience, hands down!

Kate · Married on 05/19/2018

The entire team at Carly Romeo & Co. was great to work with! Our photographer, Sarah, did such an incredible job capturing both the broader vibe and intimate moments of the day...with grace and humor. She found so many lovely, emotional shots here and there and it never felt like she was obtrusive or underfoot. We're blown away by her photos and could not wait to share them. You all are amazing. Thank you.

Patricia · Married on 11/04/2017

I was really, really nervous and stressed heading into my wedding. You would never know it from the photos though! Carly and her team put me & my husband at ease every step of the way. She was so fun to work with, and the images she captured are absolutely stunning. Rich with color, and everyone looks so beautiful! I had asked her for lots of candies of people celebrating, and she delivered above and beyond my expectations. The posed portraits are beautiful too, as are the shots of the scenery and decorations. The photo album and prints look so beautiful, and the images look awesome on social media. I could not recommend Carly more highly. If you want a fun, calm presence with a brilliant eye who will deliver everything you want for your wedding photography and then some, choose Carly Romeo!!

Carly Romeo & Co. 13
    Carly Romeo & Co. 20
    Carly Romeo & Co. 21
    Carly Romeo & Co. 22

Juana · Married on 10/13/2017

When we began planning our wedding, Carly was my one non-negotiable. I saw her photos and was immediately blown away. I knew she was the only person I wanted to shoot our wedding and reception. When we had our first phone call, I was immediately blown away. Not only did she have a strong commitment to the values that my now-husband and I hold dear (equality, justice, tolerance), but she also seemed like the kind of person I'd want to be friends with. I couldn't have possibly imagined just how special she'd make our wedding day, and she approached it with grace, creativity and a clear passion for being a part of people's love stories.

My husband and I were married in a private ceremony which meant Carly was so much more than a photographer. She was the kick-ass support system I needed in the limo ride to our ceremony while I was jittery and freaking out in the moments before our wedding. She captured amazing photos while we both cried our eyes out as we exchanged our vows. When I was exhausted and pretty much done smiling and posing for photos, she was good for a quick get-yourself-together pep talk to keep me motivated. Most importantly, she won over my two step-daughters and got them involved in our big day and enlisted them as photo assistants, complete with a loaner instant camera.

The photos were stunning, candid beautiful representations of one of the best days of my life and they captured our weird, offbeat family and friends for who they are. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Carly to anyone. She was truly the wedding MVP and I'm so thankful that we got to work with her.

Kalene · Married on 06/17/2017

Carly was EVERYTHING I wanted and more in a wedding photographer. We instantly vibed on my vision for the wedding... I wanted to capture all of the special moments, emotion, and hilarious family/friend interactions, while passing on the cheesy staged photos and bride-centric glam shots. I appreciated the opportunity to chat and fill out the questionnaire before the wedding so we could make sure we were all on the same page. On the day of, Carly instantly put us (nervous and awkward humans who don't like to be center of attention) at ease and allowed us to focus our attention on each other and all the loved ones surrounding us. She captured all the fun, intimate, chaotic, hilarious, and touching moments of the day, while also highlighting all of the little things that made our wedding unique. Sneaking away for a golden hour couple photo shoot ended up being such a special time for us to exhale and ground ourselves amidst the craziness. Carly has an uncanny ability of tricking you into thinking you're just chatting with your new spouse but little do you know that you are actually GLOWING and looking so chic and natural in all your new favorite photos. Needless to say, her final product wowed us.... Her timing and eye for detail was impeccable! We loved all of the candid shots of the mixing and mingling of all of our guests, as well as some epic dance floor pics. Our friends and family are still raving about the pics and we're daily discovering new favorites. Worth every penny! THANK YOU CARLY.

madeline · Married on 06/03/2017

Of all the many things to stress about in a wedding, I was not expecting to find myself too concerned about the photographer. But the more I looked, the more uneasy I felt about it. Everything I saw when looking was staged and corny and saccharine -- and worst of all, everything I saw looked so uncomfortably, cringing-ly *heteronormative*. (I never thought I'd use such a vocab word in a wedding review!). Then, I found out the original photographer I was about to hire held what I felt were pretty terrible political views, and I kind of freaked out. That's when I found Carly. Holy crap, wedding photography AND feminism?! Could this be true?! And her portfolio was amazing! Carly agreed to match the quote I had been given and sent Matt out for my big day. The pictures were just beautiful, and captured the day so well. We did no posing, no weird staging, no grooms as props or other weird princess-bride nonsense. Just laughter, and joy, and love. They also were super flexible about working with a friend of mine who had agreed to be a second shooter as a wedding gift. The pictures were stunning, but I can't even describe how much of a relief it was to know that the people working behind the scenes shared my most deeply-held values. I know to some people the idea that politics might penetrate all aspects of your life is kind of a turn-off, but I felt like, especially on an occasion like this, it was so important to me that the people working with us understood us on this level. Anyway, the wedding album also just arrived for the holidays and my family was blown away by the quality of the physical book. Carly also sent me a little gift with a teabag, just cause! I can't recommend Carly and her team enough, and I so insanely grateful that she and her team were part of my day, and gave us the most beautiful photographs that we will cherish forever. Carly saved me! I can't thank Carly enough for providing this service, and Matt for capturing the day.

Paige · Married on 06/02/2017

If you like the combination of progressivism, great quality photos, and flawless customer service, look no further.

I chose Carly Romeo and Co to photograph my Baltimore wedding based on the company's feminism, queer-friendliness, and strong mission statement about how they see the role of their business in making a positive difference in the world.

Matt had a calm approach, great ideas for composition, and made sure to ask for and listen to my preferences. He easily navigated my interfaith, multi-lingual ceremony. The mix of color and black and white photos were gorgeous. They were also delivered quickly via digital gallery and thumb drive. The complimentary prints Carly sent were of very high quality.

Katie · Married on 05/20/2017

We loved working with Carly (Carly Romeo & Co.)! Our number one photography goal was to capture the joy and excitement of the day. Specifically, we wanted candid photos and Carly delivered! Our friends and family LOVE the photographs of them laughing, dancing, and catching up throughout the night. Carly was also great to remind us to take time for ourselves. She was able to sneak us away for some personal photographs that are lovely. Carly did a great job of capturing the moment without making it seem too staged or asking us to do cheesy poses. We highly recommend Carly for couples wanting to have a blast and not worry about fitting into a specific box.

• Hofzak

Catherine · Married on 05/06/2017

Carly from Carly Romeo & Co. was fantastic. Her pre-wedding questionnaire allowed her to get to know us a little and what we were looking for, and she did a phenomenal job of getting us both relaxed and opened up during our couple’s photo shoot. She truly managed to capture not just our joy in being married, but the heart and spirit of the wedding itself.

Dapo & Katie · Married on 04/29/2017

If you are still shopping around for a photographer, look no further. Carly was a delight to work with; very responsive, flexible and accommodating. We actually found Carly through a referral from our wedding planner and we couldn't have been happier.
    Carly brought another photographer with, so we had double coverage. The photographs they took for our wedding were stunning; guests have been raving about how the essence of each moment was captured without anything looking staged or awkward.
    We also had a lot of fun taking formal pictures; Carly injected some fun games through out the whole process to make us very relaxed and elicit the best reactions which were caught on camera.

Hillary · Married on 12/03/2016

I had a hunch about Carly when looking at her pictures online that i'd like her. I appreciated that she said she was a feminist photographer and I like that it was about community, not just the bride. Meeting her made me sure I wanted to book her. Hanging out with her on my wedding day made me want to be her friend. I'm not a huge fan of having my picture taken, but when someone makes it easy to smile and feel like yourself, it makes it so much more enjoyable! On top of that, I have the most GORGEOUS pictures of my wedding day that make me look like ME. The other shooter Carly brought was just as awesome (much love, Matt). I can't recommend Carly Romeo & Co more highly.

Susan · Married on 11/05/2016

Carly and her team were absolutely fabulous and captured our wedding perfectly. Matt was unobtrusive yet somehow managed to snap amazing photos of the most special moments. They were super responsive leading up to our wedding, were prompt and professional on-site and we got all 1200 photos back just 1 month after our wedding. Would highly recommend this awesome team.

Alyse · Married on 10/29/2016

Carly is absolutely amazing! We couldn't possibly be any happier that we went with her, and I'd recommend her a thousand times over. She is kind, quick to respond, flexible, and professional. She made our wedding day even more fun, and kept everyone smiling and comfortable the whole time. Our photos look absolutely GORGEOUS. She and Matt really captured what's special about me and my wife's relationship. We felt a little nervous during our bridal portraits (not used to having lots of pictures taken of us, or wearing big dresses, etc.) but Carly had all these little games to get us to loosen up and be ourselves. She's extremely talented and I highly recommend her!

Kathryn · Married on 08/20/2016

I can't say enough about how lovely Two Spoons Photography is. We were a little hesitant at first because the cost was more than we initially planned for our photographer. We had set aside a VERY small budget for a photographer because we're not huge on pictures and the idea of someone in our face snapping pictures all day was dreadful. I am SO glad we decided to bump up our photographer budget so we could have Two Spoons at our wedding (Bonus-Carly was SUPER patient about the extended period it took us to make the decision to book). Our head photographer was Matt, and he was a wonderful presence to have at the wedding. He was so calm, unobtrusive, and completely understanding about the limited time we had set aside for photos. It takes a very special artist to work completely on someone else's terms (and he is an artist based on the incredible pictures he took) and Matt completely pulled it off. Also, Two Spoon's feminist philosophy led to beautiful portraits that captured us, our friends, and our family just as we were-all radiantly happy that day-with no unnecessary doctoring to make us look like mannequins. Two Spoons is feminism at its best-open minded, loving, and up for anything!

Lauren · Married on 07/02/2016

Oh my goodness, Carly was amazing. I loved her philosophy and dropped her a note before I was even ready to hire a photographer. She was friendly, helpful and super responsive. Beyond that, the photos from our wedding turned out amazing. She got the standard wedding shots but her mastery, her art, is really in all the beautiful moments she caught between my husband and me that we weren't really posing for. If you're looking for an artist who will capture the love, joy, and community of your wedding or special event I could not recommend Carly and co more! Thank you!!!

Sam · Married on 04/30/2016

Carly was our ideal wedding photographer. My wife and I had a rather small and low-key wedding, but really wanted great photographs to remember the day by. Carly's portfolio really stood out to us when we looking around for photographers, and we liked how real and natural the people and places looked.

We hit it off with Carly immediately, and after meeting her never worried one bit that she understood our expectations and had it all under control. She guided us through the process and expected very little from us during the hectic planning phase of the wedding.

On the day, Carly and her second shooter arrived and were as much fun as some of our guests. She made sure we got every picture we asked for, and several of our guests even commented about how friendly she was. Zero stress.

Finally - the pictures themselves are exactly what we wanted. Not a single cliche pose, but a huge number of really excellent shots that really captured the mood of the day. We keep finding new favorites when we go back and look. Highly, highly recommended.

Carrie · Married on 09/12/2015

Carly is INCREDIBLE. We liked her as soon as we met her and our opinion of her just kept rising as we got to know her. She strikes that balance between being laid-back and professional perfectly. We knew we were in good hands the whole time and felt so at ease with her, something that is pretty impressive considering that it's an unusual experience having someone following you around all day with a camera. The pictures from our engagement session and wedding day are amazing. Seriously. Our photos are unlike anyone else's and feel so perfectly US. Like her overall style, Carly's photos of us reflect serious talent and expertise while also being playful and loving.

We can't recommend Carly highly enough. She seems to go above and beyond in everything she does. I hope you're lucky enough to work with her!

• W

wendy · Married on 06/06/2015

Outstanding Photography!!!!!!!!!!!

We could not have been happier with Two Spoons photography for my daughters wedding. Carly and crew were exemplary!!!!!!! Carly and team have a true “fire” when capturing the beauty of happiness! Their passion for photography shows in every picture they took. The professionalism they have is unmatched. We so appreciated their efforts at staying on schedule, ability to work with a sometimes wayward crowd, great priceing, their energy, their talent, the fun they created and their ability to blend into the group as well as their endless flexibility. The team traveled quite a distance to be at our event and seemed happy to do it. Carly was able to see things at our venue that made even our traditional pictures “pop”. She really has an eye for getting a person in the right place at the right time to make every picture look magazine worthy. Carly and her team delivered exact what we wanted-beautiful, artistic, high qualities photographs of one of the best days of our lives. Blending in the gorgeous background of our venue was very important to us and they did with such elegance and taste that we are brought to tears by some of the breathtaking pictures they created. Two Spoons worked perfectly with our videographer, family and all the other staff at the wedding. One of the best things about Two Spoons is that you can tell they love their job. They seemed to have just as much fun as our guests. Carly truly cares about her clients and we loved and will continue to love every shot they got. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts to the best photographers ever!

Mandy · Married on 05/16/2015

We absolutely loved working with Carly! Our pictures are fabulous and we look forward to flipping through them for many years to come. Carly was able to capture every moment beautifully even when it was raining. She made formal picture taking a breeze by making us laugh and having fun with our group. We had about 175 people at our wedding and Carly was able to get everyone in the pictures - she captured the important events at the wedding, the little details, and all of the funny impromptu things that happened too (even some we didn't know about until seeing the pics!). She managed to quickly edit and compile over 800 photos for us (less than two weeks after the wedding) so we had them just as we were getting home from our honeymoon. We couldn't have asked for anything more and will definitely recommend her for our friends' future weddings.

Katie · Married on 05/09/2015

Book her now!!!!! Carly is an amazing photographer. She was able to get beautiful pictures of me and my husband without it feeling forced. she captures the liveliness and energy of every moment. i wanted candid pictures of my special weekend and she blew me away with her photos! I'm am so happy I chose Two Spoons! She is fun to work with and came through on all her deadlines! Thank you so much!

Sarah · Married on 05/02/2015

It's difficult to know where to begin.

Carly is the antidote to all the one-note wedding photography in the world. Our wedding was a gathering of friends and family who would never be in the same place again, and the fact that they were there to celebrate and support us was what was important to my partner and I. When we explained this to Carly, she just got it. Our (many!) photos from the day contain luminous shots of ourselves, the happy couple, of course. But more importantly, the photos she captured of our guests are the ones that make me cry. A wedding goes by so fast, and seeing snaps of kids playing in the setting sun, of my grandpa nursing a glass of red wine, of friends trying to sort out the wonky sound system---those pictures are so important to us.

Carly is ebullient, so enjoyable to be around, but totally even-keeled. Weddings are crazy. You want a flexible, adaptable, easy going photographer. My family loves Carly after our wedding---she climbed a twelve foot ladder to get a few shots that my now-husband wanted, which was a neat party trick that impressed everyone. She accommodates guests as well as she can, while keeping her priority on the bride and groom.

Carly runs a smart, compassionate, woman-owned business with values that resonate. She is always striving to do better. Do not wait to book this photographer! Carly---thank you.

Maureen · Married on 11/01/2014

Question: what do you do when your partner wants a traditional wedding, but you're kind of squirmy about all the hoopla?

Answer: You find ways to infuse old traditions with your own values. You look kindred spirits in the wedding industry who know what you're talking about. If that sounds like you and you're looking for a photographer, you've found her.

Finding Carly's article on Offbeat Bride was an epiphany. I was immediately impressed by her talent. She has a warm, classic style that maintains a modern edge. Her work is evocative without being sappy. She has an excellent sense of what small details are meaningful, so you won't get end up with 50 photos of your empty shoes when you really wanted more of your family doing the YMCA.

Working with her was like hanging out with an old friend we hadn't seen in a long time. If you hate having your picture taken or don't think you're photogenic (like me!), you'll change your mind after seeing yourself the way Carly does. She has a way of making you feel so comfortable in front of the camera, you forget it's there. We had no doubt that our photos would turn out wonderfully. I was especially pleased with how she handled the posed portraits our families wanted - we looked happy, natural, and not Olan Mills-y at all.

Carly is full of creative suggestions to answer any questions you might have. She was particularly accommodating of the special requests we made, and discretely navigated family dynamics and big personalities in a way that put everyone at ease. She worked seamlessly with the other vendors at our wedding to help everything run smoothly. She's basically a wedding doula.

She was quick to return photos to us after the wedding, which was quite a feat since she was travelling. The photo albums are lovely, and our families are delighted with them. The albums seem really durable, too. I'm looking forward to showing them off when I'm an old biddy and insisting they become family heirlooms.

I feel so lucky to know Carly, let alone to have had her shoot our wedding. I knew I wanted beautiful photos in a photojournalistic style (i.e. not posed and people-focused), but those photographers were super pricey. Carly was technically overbudget, but it was such an easy decision to go over when we hired her because we loved her so much; now I realize we got lucky in getting the same quality for an unbelievable price. She was by far the best wedding-related decision we made, but the quality of her photos is the least of it, outweighed by her experience and efficiency, deft touch with people, and thoughtfulness about marriage generally. I fell in like with her in reading her (smart but not preachy) views on marriage equality and feminism, and that feeling was cemented in person. Closer to the wedding, I just wanted it all over with because our caterer was awful to deal with, and Carly was so sympathetic and upbeat. The day of, Carly took the usual great shots (groom crying at altar as I came down the aisle) but also elicited happy photos from surly in-laws, all while moving everything along quickly. Speaking of: trust her expertise! I was against portraits, but not only did she get great pictures of my husband and I (the least photogenic people ever) by asking questions or chatting to keep us from thinking/smiling awkwardly, she even got great shots with our dogs (incl. the 2x they looked up at the same time). Moreover, the 20 minutes we spent walking from the church to the venue taking portraits were the calmest, happiest ones of the whole day. Even my hyperlogical math teacher dad called her “amazing” and “at one with the spirit of the day.” Finally, her eye is extraordinary. Some of my favorite pictures are of details (compositions?) that never would have occurred to me, like a shot of a vintage window decal in the jazz club hosting the reception, then another through the same window, with the Baltimore skyline background in focus and the decal out of focus.