PO Box 425, Mars Hill, NC 28754 Map · Phone number
  • Pricing

About Asheville Event Paintings

Asheville Event Paintings is a professional live painting service for weddings in Asheville, North Carolina. Skip Rohde creates beautiful works of oils and pastels to preserve the memories of your wedding in timeless artistry. Not only does this provide unique entertainment for guests, but gives you an heirloom keepsake that will stay in your family for generations. Choose Asheville Event Paintings for a once in a lifetime keepsake you will cherish forever.

Experience

Skip Rohde was a U.S. Navy an officer for 22 years. When he retired he went back to school, earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of North Carolina at Asheville. Five years into retirement, however, he was called overseas to serve two and a half years in Iraq and Afghanistan to help rebuild the countries’ government and economic systems. This time inspired him to create a collection of drawings titled "Faces of Afghanistan," which is permanently held at The Smithsonian Museum of American History.

Asheville Event Paintings offers several packages for weddings. First, Skip will talk with you to decide on the moment or moments you want the painting to focus on. You can choose from a variety of painging sizes, the most popular being a 24"x30" oil on canvas. Skip will paint throughout the evening, filling out the canvas with beautiful background and figures from the wedding. After the event he will take the painting back to his studio for final finishing, and will send a picture of it via email for you to approve. Options include notecards with the finished painting, additional portraits, and limited-edition prints.

Follow Asheville Event Paintings on

Asheville Event Paintings 2
  • Nil

Nil · Married on 07/14/2018

The Best Surprise

I’m not necessarily the most romantic guy out there, but even I knew that the day I got to marry the love of my life was going to be one of the best days of my life. I wanted the first gift I gave my wife as her husband to be something she would have forever. I am happy to say that Skip provided just the thing I was looking for.

I met with several live painters before selecting Skip, but once I met him, I knew I had found the guy. First, Skip is the consummate professional. He returns emails within a day, usually picks up his phone, and always calls back if he misses your call. He listened to me and gave me advice on which aspects of our big day might make for the best composition. And that was all before I hired him!

I also wanted the gift to be a surprise for my bride. Skip was onboard from the start. He even suggested that he get in touch with my photographers so that they could work on a backstory in case my wife caught wind of it. Of course, she did not because Skip was very discrete in his communications with me.

In fact, my wife did not find out about the painting until she saw him at the reception painting our wedding. When she saw him from afar, she was confused. As she approached and realized what he was painting, she was overcome with joy. In that moment, before the painting was even close to finished, I knew I had done well. She was going to love it and keep it forever. Mission accomplished.

Additionally, he was a hit for the guests as well. They loved watching him work and he loves to talk about art with anyone who is interested. Our guests really enjoyed this unique aspect of our reception. He worked the whole night, and at the end of our reception, he packed the painting up and took it back to his studio to finish. This is something that was really important to me. I talked to a few live painters who said the painting would be finished by the end of the event. That made me nervous because I wanted all the details to be included and to be able to make out people’s faces.

He gave us a few updates while he worked on it at his studio. When we noticed a minor detail missing, he said “no problem,” and was able to add it in. And once the piece was complete, we asked him to hold on to it so we could visit his studio personally to pick it up ourselves. He obliged us at no charge, and held on to it for more than a month. I am glad we got to go visit him to pick it up. It was great to reconnect with the artist that painted the very moment we were pronounced husband and wife.

If you are considering hiring a live painter for your wedding (or any event), I strongly recommend Skip. He is a pleasure to work with, is very talented, and will not disappoint. He is going to create a piece of art that your grandkids will fight over.

Sent on 11/19/2018

Asheville Event Paintings's reply:

Thank you, Nil, for choosing me to paint your wedding! It was an honor a heck of a lot of fun to work with you on this painting. Aveni's reaction when she realized what we were doing was priceless! I count you both as friends now. I wish the two of you the very best, always!
  • Marissa

Marissa · Married on 10/21/2017

Skip was such a pleasure to work with! The consultation process was so smooth and he answered all of our questions with ease. On the day of our wedding, he was so personable with all of the guests. Everyone loved coming up to see how his painting was progressing and he was quick to jump into conversation. It was such a "wow" factor during the reception. The painting itself if absolutely beautiful. He worked with us for a month following the wedding to get the details exactly to our liking. We're so happy with the finished product and can't wait to hang it in our home for years to come. I would absolutely recommend hiring Skip to paint during your event!

Sent on 01/23/2018
    Asheville Event Paintings 3
    Asheville Event Paintings 4

Jenny · Married on 12/01/2012

We are so grateful for Skip! He did an amazing job and was so professional. He made everyone feel comfortable and it was such a joy to watch him work! What a fun addition to our wedding and we now have an incredible memento that is a beautiful work of art. His attention to detail, creativity and finesse were impeccable. The piece is absolutely stunning and brings such a smile to my face every time I walk by it in my home. I can't recommend him enough!

Sent on 02/02/2017

Asheville Event Paintings Pricing

Asheville Event Paintings Price Rates

Asheville Event Paintings FAQ

• How would you categorize your product offerings? Custom
  • What services do you provide? Shipping, Express Shipping
  • What is the average turnaround time, from initial contact to shipment? 3-4 Weeks
  • Are you able to meet clients in person to showcase your product? Yes
  • What is your return policy? Partial Refund

• Kelley Event + Design
    Kelley Event + Design Wedding Planners

I highly recommend Skip at Asheville Event Paintings. Not only is he super talented but he's also organized, communicative and easy to work with from a vendor and client perspective. He arrived early, reached out well in advance to connect with me and was quite the hit on event day. Guests continually walked over to his canvas to browse his work and chat with him. He was always pleasant and friendly. Hire him. You will not be disappointed!

• Jesse Gumucio-Kitt
    Jesse Gumucio-Kitt Wedding Photographers

To have a true virtuoso create a painting from life on your wedding day is an opportunity not to be missed! Skip has the classical training of a master painter! His intimate understanding of all aspects relating to composition, color, and the elements of design make him the ideal person for the job! While he is focused and extremely professional, he is also engaging and has a great sense of humor! He is able to capture the the essence of a moment like Renoir *and* convey the quality of light like Monet! And yet, he brings a signature style that is all his own! Skip Rohde is the perfect person to deliver an heirloom that will prove invaluable for generations!

• PO Box 425 Mars Hill, North Carolina, 28754 See on map