West Park Winery

3.3/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  1.5
  • Professionalism:  3.0
  • Flexibility:  2.0
They need to improve their responsiveness and their ability to make you feel special at all times. The value and ability to customize your event is what has drawn me to this venue. You can do things here that other venues would never allow.
Wedding: 11/19/2011
5.0/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  5.0
  • Professionalism:  5.0

811Bride 11 Reviews
I got married at West Park Winery in August of 2011. Here's a few reasons why it was a great fit for us.

* First off, you are the only wedding and you have the entire property is yours. Guests can roam the grounds and gardens (which are gorgeous) and there's so much space to explore. It really makes you feel special and that it's all about your day.

* The outdoor space for the ceremony is amazing. It’s on a hill that overlooks the Hudson Valley.

* The chefs were terrific and so accommodating. They offer some great choices but with our event we wanted to do something representative of our families. I talked to them and they customized a menu and even the cocktail hour. Everything tasted amazing. I had people come up to me during the entire event telling me it was the best food they had at a wedding.

* You have to bring in your own liquor which I can't tell you how great that was. A) You get to pick what your guests want B) You save SOO much money and C) You get whatever you don't drink back. We also had some signature drinks. We gave the venue the recipe and they prepared them perfectly. We just had to give them the right alcohol and they got the mixers/ingredients.

* The coordinators I dealt with were great - Avanti and Megan. When I first booked the venue, there was someone else there that was terrible and non-responsive but luckily when Avanti took over, he had all the details and we went over them so we were on the same page. They know that they are doing and how to make your wedding the best possible based on what's important to you. We told them we wanted to maximize the dancing and they timed out the meal so that we could do that. They are very flexible in the flow of the evening and are great about doing what you want and advising you what works best since this is what they do. Megan was part of the later planning and took care of the reception details. I of course was nervous about how the day would go but when I got to the venue everything we had talked about had been executed perfectly. I was very happy with their work leading up to and the day of.

Some things to keep in mind about the venue were that we had to get buses because they aren't many hotels close by. (Our guest stayed in Poughkeepsie which is about 15 mins away.) That's true of a lot of places so I don't know that that is such a big deal but it is an added expense. Also we were lucky to get a beautiful day and a lot of the experience of the venue is contingent on the weather being ok. The Plan B for an indoor ceremony is nice (inside the distillery where the bride can ascend from the stairs) but the outdoor space is breathtaking.

I really had a great experience here, as did my guests, and hope I get to attend a wedding there soon.
Wedding: 2+ years ago
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
5.0/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  5.0
  • Professionalism:  5.0

Katie 3 Reviews
We were truly impressed by the West Park Winery and we're so happy it was our venue. We chose the winery because of its DIY opportunities; we were able to put our signature all over our wedding and never had to pick and choose from a pre-selected package as couples do at many other locations. We got married at the top of the property overlooking the Hudson River on a beautiful hazy day.
Megan and Avanti, the head coordinating staff, were spectacular and maintained excellent communication throughout. Every single question was answered, every single concern addressed. On the day of our wedding they made sure every last thing went smoothly - seriously, if there were any glitches we didn't know about them, which is a true testament to their professionalism. Chef TJ truly wowed our guests and helped us plan a spectacular menu. The serving staff and bartenders were great and made sure everyone was happy all night.
If you are looking for a wedding venue that is truly memorable, personal, and unique, the West Park Winery should be at the top of your list!

Wedding: 07/09/2011
3.9/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  3.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Professionalism:  3.5
  • Value:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
West Park Winery has a gorgeous view and that's exactly why we booked it for our wedding. Everything else was pretty good but considering the cost vs. other similar venues I think we did OK with WPW. The food was just OK, the cake was eh (but free) but the setting was beyond! They stayed in touch with me and and were very responsive.
Wedding: 06/25/2011
4.4/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Professionalism:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I loved my wedding at West Park Winery. Leading up to the wedding they were very responsive and helpful. I'm not from the area so needed recommendations and they were more than happy to help. I loved that nearly everything venue-related is included in the price, for example, linens, chairs/tables, etc., even your cake. I only had to hire a DJ, florist, and photographer. Everything additional that I had, for example, extra centerpiece materials, toasting flutes, cake cutting set, favors, etc. I just dropped off in advance and they handled everything. We had our ceremony up on the hill and it was beautiful, even on an overcast day, has sweeping views of the Hudson Valley below. You do have to provide your own liquor, which was great as it ended up saving us a ton of money. The staff at the Winery were essentially my wedding planners and did everything to accommodate me, including having direct communication with the hotel, our transportation, and all of our vendors. I'm suprised to see such negative reviews here, although I do think that this venue is NOT for everyone. It was perfect for us, as it gave us the right mix of DIY and assistance that we sought. Both my husband and I are extremely detail-oriented, organized people, so we wanted some amount of control over our wedding, which we definitely had, but also the right amount of hlep in getting everything done. There were a few snafu's throughout the night, however I do believe that no event will be run 100% perfectly, and I did think that the staff did everything they could to smooth over the mishaps and seek solutions for us. I had very little stress working with them. Thank you West Park Winery for making our wedding a beautiful and memorable experience.
Wedding: 05/14/2011
1.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  1.0
  • Responsiveness:  0.5
  • Professionalism:  0.5
  • Value:  0.5
  • Flexibility:  2.5

kikila30 2 Reviews
For 18 months I planned, prepared, created and crafted in anticipation for the most important day of my life, and in one short morning West Park Winery unraveled all the work I had done and all the love that I had given my wedding day. I knew two things for sure from the reviews that I had read (yes, I had done my homework). First, was that there was an extremely high turnover in management and staff and second, they do not get involved in the planning and preparing so I would be left to my own devices when it came to set up and layout of the day. I didn’t think either one would be an issue for me.

But I was so wrong and had no idea how bad it would actually be. We worked with 5 different maitre d’s throughout our planning. Each one quit before we could even get a second meeting in. The last one was assigned to us one week prior to the wedding. The entire team had quit, and much of the staff because the owner is unbearable, inappropriate and aggressive with the staff. So we were left with inexperienced kids, who did work incredibly hard, to run the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception.

I will just list a few of the problems we encountered throughout the day. Our maitre d’ was supposed to arrive at the winery at 8:00am to start the set up. She did not arrive until 4:00 and she was dressed like a slob wearing capri leggings with dirty sneakers. There were no parking attendants as promised, so the guests parked in the lower reception lot instead of the upper ceremony lot. This guided them directly into our pre-ceremony photo session. We had to keep stopping to tell people to go back to their cars and keep driving up the road. And again, due to no parking attendants, the cars pulled too close to the ceremony site, so the pictures of me walking down the aisle look like I’m in a Wal-Mart parking lot. We were promised a crudités table which was to be filled with salads, soups, veggies, fruits, breads, cheeses, dips and crackers. It would be refilled throughout the reception. We were shown photographs of what it would look like and it was spectacular. Ours was a folding table with some grapes, cheese and crackers and was never filled. The favors were not put out for the guests until I told them they were missing. It was a warm day, and I was told that the air conditioning would be put on ahead of time. Surprise, it wasn’t and my wedding party and I were stuck dressing in a room that was over 80 degrees. The bar ran out of juice during the cocktail hour. And lastly, my 15 year old niece was given a vodka and cranberry, because the underage bartender did not know what a Shirley Temple was.

I could go on but I won’t. Just suffice it to say that I would never recommend West Park Winery to anyone. We even had a staff member contact us after the wedding, letting us know she would be willing to sign an affidavit if we decided to take legal action. The setting was beautiful, the guests had a wonderful time, and I was married to the love of my life, but the stress of the day just wasn’t worth it. Please, if you’re reading this, take this review of my experience seriously. There are many equally beautiful venues in the Hudson Valley and you will be doing yourself a huge favor by passing West Park Winery by.
Wedding: 2+ years ago
3.9/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.5
  • Responsiveness:  3.0
  • Professionalism:  3.5
  • Value:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  4.0
It is a beautiful location if you are looking for an outdoors component. The weather can be a major factor so you have to be okay with the indoors Plan B if you are looking for an outdoor ceremony/cocktail hour/open tent walls. The barrel room is rustic and I think country charming and the tent has a beautiful sweeping drape cover that makes it a step above your average tent rental. You have to be a proactive bride/groom if you are detail oriented and would like specific things. You also provide the alcohol which is actually very cost cutting. The staff did have some turnover so there was some confusion in the planning process. The owner can also be a bit cranky, but you don't deal have to deal with him directly. Be prepared to deal with 2-3 different staff people who do not work regular 9-5 hours so sometimes phone calls and emails will have delayed responses though one of the women there gave me her cell number. They pulled it all together the day of and were extremely professional and hardworking. I got a day of wedding coordinator and assistant (Hudson Valley Ceremonies-see review) that were also a big help with a big wedding (185 guests, ceremony, kids, wheelchairs, buses, etc.). The cake is delicious and provided as part of the wedding and the food is prepared by the Culinary Institute . And the best part was that they provided a FREE 8 minute fireworks show which was a gift to all the weddings this season as a bonus due to recession. All in all, I would recommend but be prepared to do a lot of the work yourself and to be patient. They really kick it into high gear a few weeks before your wedding.
Wedding: 09/26/2009
3.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Responsiveness:  2.0
  • Professionalism:  2.0
  • Value:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  3.0
An incredibly beautiful location... Staff changed several times during our planning and we weren't informed... Staff was unprofessional at times. The food and cake were wonderful. The waiters and bartender were great. Our guests had an amazing experience, but that was due to more of our hard work than that of the head staff.
Wedding: 08/24/2008