Krista
Just Said Yes August 2021

Year before wedding

Krista, on July 2, 2020 at 11:50 AM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 11
Saved
We are having a destination wedding aug 2021. We thought of having a party to start the official 1 year countdown. Since many won’t be able to join us for the wedding this might be a way to feel apart of the wedding journey? Did anyone else do this? We have been engaged since Aug 2019 and already have two kids and home. We are untraditional with this wedding but not sure how a countdown wedding party would come across to others. Any recommendations? Would this be tacky?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Elmarose, on July 5, 2020 at 6:45 AM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I guess it depends on your crowd. I personally wouldn't throw a party in the middle of a pandemic just to celebrate that I'm getting married in a year, nor would I attend as a guest, but maybe that's just me.

• M
    VIP January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

In a non-pandemic year, I say, throw a party at any time. People like parties and it's nice to be invited. But there's no need to make it wedding-related and doing so may actually cause confusion for your guests. You can claim to be "untraditional" but trying to get people involved in your "wedding journey" and "wedding countdown" is setting expectations on both sides that won't be met.

All of that said, it IS a pandemic year and parties are not really a good idea.

• Stacey
    Super May 2021
    Stacey Online ·
    • Flag

Now is not the time to throw non-essential parties. I totally understand wanting to celebrate with those who can't attend though - I actually think a better idea might be having a small event next year after you return as a married couple? Kind of a small reception (doesn't have to be anything formal) to celebrate the wedding with all your friends/family who couldn't make it. And hopefully things will be a LOT better next year and you can throw the type of party that you want, which unfortunately just isn't possible this year.

• Katie
    Expert January 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I agree, not an appropriate time to begin planning an upcoming party. I would also keep in mind that the people most interested in your “wedding journey” are you and FH. I would try not to overdo it with pre-wedding events for guests. For those who wouldn’t be able to attend the wedding, is it because they won’t be invited or have already declined the invite? In either of these cases, it may not be best to include them in pre-wedding events at all.
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    I agree! I wouldn't throw a party in the middle of a pandemic. I also probably wouldn't want to attend if I were invited.
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

I think it would be better to host a small celebration with more guests after your destination wedding! That way you're already married and continuing the celebration with other guests, instead of inviting to a pre-wedding event which would imply they'd also be invited to the wedding!

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I would sooner do an anniversary party or vow renewal a year after the wedding
  • Monique
    Master December 2019
    Monique ·
    • Flag
    What about maybe getting a mini cake with your cake flavors to celebrate just the two of you? It’s probably not the best time to host a non essential party. I know you want them to be apart of the celebration but maybe consider doing a live stream of the actual wedding for those who can’t make it there.
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    I’d say go for it! People will show up if they want to. I am personally dying to go to an event right now. People are adults and they can make their own decisions about if they’d like to attend or not but I think that sounds super fun and you deserve it. I don’t think that’s tacky at all! I think if people are able to go out to bars right now and be around people that they don’t even know, then I think it’s OK for you to have a Wedding party with people that you know and love.
  • Vicky
    VIP January 2020
    Vicky ·
    • Flag

Why would they not be able to attend your wedding next year? Are they not invited?

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2022
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag

I don't think it would be tacky but I feel what you are trying to do is throw an engagement party? Either way I feel that the people who will choose to go will go and the ones that don't will not. Just be prepared with the amount of response you will receive and don't let it overwhelm you. Honestly your wedding isn't until August 2021 so I would say wait a bit before planning a party since there might people still high risk during this pandemic. Or choose to have a virtual option for your guest to join you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics