Michelle
Expert October 2020

Would you pay for premarital counseling?

Michelle, on January 13, 2020 at 8:19 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 11
Saved Save
I found my officiant and she’s awesome! She is in ministry but she’s a counselor. Fiancé and I aren’t religious or belong to any church groups so we aren’t able to get it for free but I’ve been very interested.

It’s $110 per hour, sliding scale is $85 (not sure what that exactly means), sessions are 50 minutes generally 6 but she would shorten it to 4 to accommodate us with pricing. Fiancé and I have been together 8 years, lived together for 3, we’ve always been able to work through disagreements so I’m not sure if it’s worth spending over $300 since everything is already expensive as is with wedding planning.
Thoughts?

11 Comments

• Josie
    Beginner May 2021
    Josie ·
    • Flag
    Sliding scale means that the price will depend on your insurance and income (or lack of). I think counseling is always a good idea, but it's going to depend on if you guys think it's worth that much and if its affordable. If the cost is going to give you more stress than the benefit of counseling then it's not worth it.
  • Christina
    Dedicated October 2020
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    My coworker is currently doing premarital counseling and she can’t say enough good about it. She said it’s really helped them realize expectations of one another in married life. However she is in the opposite lifestyle as you are, they don’t live together and are moving in together after the wedding, and are both religious. I think it’s of course your decision on if you feel it is for you or not, but I would say if you can afford to, it can only be good!
  • Alejandra
    Expert November 2020
    Alejandra Online ·
    • Flag
    I don’t mean this meanly, but I never not expected to pay for premarital counseling. It’s the same as couples counseling or therapy, which there is a cost for. Of course that depends on where you go and insurance, but the cost is there. So I’m a little confused by your question I guess. I think counseling is always a good idea, and it certainly doesn’t hurt.
  • Kelsey
    Savvy October 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

I agree with PP. Premarital/couples/general counseling is always beneficial, but if it's going cause stress to pay for it, don't. Unless you truly feel like you and your FH need counseling, this would only be an added benefit to the relationship.

• Brianna N
    Super October 2019
    Brianna N ·
    • Flag

We are not religious, but we went through a local church for our premarital counseling and actually loved it. They knew we weren't religious but were happy to have us attend. It was free and was like a 4 hour workshop and then an hour with a minister. Look into local churches to see if they have similar programs!

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

If you haven't ever been to counseling before as a couple, I think pre marital counseling is a good idea.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    But is it $600+ worth lol. Ugh, that’s almost $1,000! Plus the $35 assessment tests for each of us... maybe I’ll see if we can shorten the sessions to three...
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Going to check my employee assistance program as well. =\
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Well good news is that my employee assistance program has three free sessions to choose from lol. So it’s better than nothing.
  • Alisha
    Expert August 2020
    Alisha ·
    • Flag

Premarital is great. You will learned alot about yourself and your relationships. My FH and I went to premarital counseling and we enjoyed it. It was very helpful to us. Our sessions was a group session with other couples who were planning on getting married. We spent $100.00 for four sessions though. Each session was about 6 hours long bc the amount of couples that were there. We learned alot from them too. We were support for each other as well.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I spoke with her again and she said she’s coming up with a new rate for those that hired her as an officiant so it’ll be $70 per hour and we can adjust the sessions to our budget. I think we will do 3 instead of 6. Better than nothing lol.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics