This is outside my norm but I am at my witts end with our venue and thought advise from others would be of help.
In February of 2020 we found the venue of our dreams right outside of Indy and signed our contract after nearly a month of searching for a wedding on 4/30/2021. The venue is highly rated and had nothing but raving reviews on every website we could find.. There were a few caveats that we were not huge fans of such as a locked caterer but we were total fans of having to be mostly handoffs with the tedious parts of our wedding (tables, linens, chairs, e.tcetra)
Fast forward to late October and the venue of our dreams started to unravel at the seams. I sent an email regarding the current restrictions in our state that would limit us to 250 guest when we planned a wedding based off of 300. I received no email back from our venue and the set off some alarm bells. I had really hoped that when my Fiancé met with the venue on November 10th that they would address my concerns but were extremely hesitant to broach the subject. I had to ask the question in multiple ways via FaceTime to finally get a response of "Thats nothing to worry about because this will all be over by then but if it isn't we can discuss it in March". I personally felt that was way to long to wait but thought I shouldn't be pessimistic. In early December rules and restrictions changed to be more fluid with how covid is trending here in Indiana. These restrictions currently would only allow us 25 guest, barely enough for our wedding party. On the 27th of December we came to terms that there is a good chance that the wedding of our dreams wouldn't happen on our original, so we emailed our venue asking to speak on the phone about possibly moving our date sooner rather than later. I wanted this change to be advantageous for both us and the venue, thinking that 4 months to fill the opening would help them more than a couple of weeks. Again no response but we thought that we would give them some extra time to respond due to it being the holiday. Now we have reached today the 6th of January and we really are struggling with how to move forward. My fiancé had to contact our planning group instead of the owner to get anyone to respond to us even though we had been directed to reach out to the owner with anything regarding our contract. The owner called me at 10am and we discussed what was going on and what we wanted to do, reschedule our wedding for a later date. He asked me if we had any dates in mind and we did, a Friday in February. He said the date was still available for the 4 rooms we had booked but we were going to have to pay a 20% rescheduling fee! I get that they are a business but this feels down right predatory.I explained the numbers to him, that for us to be allowed to have a 100 guest the county would have to have less than 30 people in a week test positive. Just for a reference this hasn't happened since mid May when testing was really getting started. Even with that we are talking a third of our original guest list and not even enough to cover her family let alone mine. When I told him that I thought this was extreme and he said that he would put in an insurance claim and if it got approved he would provide us a refund of the 20% but if not we would have to eat the cost. I was then told I was going to receive the paperwork in couple hours for review and he would call me before the end of the day to discuss any questions I had. I told him to send over the paperwork today and I would review with everyone involved. Here we are nearly 4 hours past the end of business hours and nothing. How can I review these changes with my fiancé and family prior to 9am phone meeting if he never sends them over?
Sorry for such a long winded post and I know others have had worse experience but just kind of wanting to know how others have handled similar experiences?