Caila
Devoted August 2020

Wood Guest Book

Caila, on July 27, 2020 at 9:08 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 15
Saved

Anyone who has had people sign a piece of wood for their guest book, what is the best pen or writing utensil? I am trying to see what will show up the best!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Molly, on July 28, 2020 at 12:54 PM
  • Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

I'd use a Sharpie. Sharpie's work great on anything and you can get a variety of colors.

• Breanna
    Devoted September 2020
    Breanna ·
    • Flag
    We're using sharpie paint pens! We tested out a few and those seem to be the ones that worked the best on ours.
  • Breanna
    Devoted September 2020
    Breanna ·
    • Flag
    We're using sharpie paint pens! We tested out a few and those seem to be the ones that worked the best on ours.
  • Breanna
    Devoted September 2020
    Breanna ·
    • Flag
    Wood Guest Book 1
    I got these ones at target. They have more colors as well!
  • Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Awesome! Thank you! These were the ones I saw that I liked, but wanted to make sure they worked. Smiley smile

• Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you!

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    We used metallic Sharpie paint pens.
  • Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you!!

• Ali
    Expert March 2021
    Ali ·
    • Flag
    I'm so glad someone asked about this because we are doing a wood guest book and I had no idea what kind of thing would write the best on it.
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal Online ·
    • Flag

If at all possible, I'd try to test the pens on wood that is finished the same way as your sign (perhaps on the back, if it's finished). Depending on how/if the wood is sealed, the type of stain, etc., it can have a huge impact on the way it takes ink/paint. We took daughter's to Michaels (they typically have tons of pens in a big open display) and tested a bunch of them to find an ink that didn't bleed, the right degree of fineness for the tip (not too thick, not too thin), and test color options. Daughter was surprised to find that what she thought she wanted wasn't her best option. Good luck!

• V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    My brother-in-law did and he had everyone use metallic sharpies.
  • Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's a great idea!! I never would have thought of doing that!! Thank you Smiley smile

• Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you!!

• Taran
    Expert September 2020
    Taran ·
    • Flag

I don't have a wood guestbook, but I bought wooden fans and used these to write our wedding date up the side and they showed up really well, even the gold

https://smile.amazon.com/Sanford-Sharpie-Water-Based-Metallic-Markers/dp/B005DEW3DA/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=sharpie+extra+fine+point+paint+pens&qid=1595943614&sr=8-12

• Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I would definitely test the markers on the back of the sign. My sister had a wooden guest book and I'm not sure what brand of pens she used but they smudged all over from people putting their hands on the wood while they signed. I am just going to use normal black sharpie because they dry fast and won't smudge. Then I will put a sealant on the sign with the signatures.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics