You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

Chantelle
Beginner May 2021

Who should be the Matron of Honor?

Chantelle, on February 9, 2020 at 9:23 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 22
Saved Save

Hello everyone!!

Dilemma here.....I have a best friend that I have known for most of my life and we happen to be closer than me and my blood sister. Me and my sister have a good relationship and we love each other of course. But my best friend is my sister my ride or die. I don't want to hurt feelings either.

22 Comments

• Neeva
    Super September 2020
    Neeva ·
    • Flag

Why not both? I have both my sister and best friend as MOHs. I was MOH for both of them so it worked out that way

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2021
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    I feel like you should pick who you truly want to be your MOH and not pick someone out of “obligation” or whom everyone else thinks you should pick. My FH picked his BIL over his brother bc he’s closer to him.
  • Chantelle
    Beginner May 2021
    Chantelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I was thinking that’s what I would do. I guess I’m just looking for some validation that What I’m thinking is the right thing lol.
  • Chantelle
    Beginner May 2021
    Chantelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    There wasn’t any “drama”? Was everyone cool with that?
  • Emily
    Devoted September 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    Pick who you feel is right! I have a Maid of Honor (cousin) and a Matron of Honor (sister)! My FH was trying to choose between a friend of his for 20+ years and a friend that we’ve only know for 2 years. He chose the friend of 2 years! He is so much closer to this friend than his childhood friend
  • Amy
    Dedicated September 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    I have 2 women standing up and they are both my MoHs. I have one helping me here in California and kne helping my parents back home in Wisconsin. One has been not best friend for 35yrs the other is my "sister" with whom is my ride or die for the last 11yrs in the Navy. There has been zero drama but that's another reason I love these women.
  • S
    Savvy April 2020
    Sashika ·
    • Flag

Chantelle,

I was smiling to myself while reading your post because I did NOT choose my sister for my Maid or Honor. My best friend will be my Maid of Honor and my sister will be one of my bridesmaids. I don't believe that a sibling has to be the maid or honor on your special day. It is a tradition that I have opted not to abide by. Interestingly enough, contrary to popular belief, my sister actually didn't even want the position to begin with. Her excuse was that I would be a "bridezilla" which I am not. However, that was not my reason for not choosing her.

If you are worried about hurting her feelings you may want to consider a maid or honor and "co-maid of honor"./ Mu fiancé has coined the term as he is using his close friend as his best man and his only brother as his "co-bestman".

I hope this helps, best of luck!!!

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2021
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol! Oh no there was drama. My in-laws felt he should choose his brother because he’s his brother. His situation is different though bc he’s not close to his brother so he just told his parents it wasn’t happening.
  • Kendra
    Devoted July 2020
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    I agree with the other ladies...make them both the maids of honor. There’s no rule that says you can’t have more than 1.
  • Serenity
    Dedicated October 2021
    Serenity ·
    • Flag
    Picked them both. 🤷🏾‍♀️ It’s your wedding can have how many Matron, maids etc your choice!
  • Future Mrs X
    Savvy December 2020
    Future Mrs X ·
    • Flag

I have two MOH's. I didn't want to choose one. Neither one is married so they are both Maid of Honors. Choose whichever you want or both.

• N
    Beginner May 2021
    Netasha ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t choose our blood family but we do choose our close friends that’s sometimes better than family. If your best friend is your ride or die then choose her, she is your sister. Make your blood sister a bridesmaid.😊
  • Chantelle
    Beginner May 2021
    Chantelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Very true ...I just don’t want drama from my family but hey🤷🏾‍♀️
  • Chantelle
    Beginner May 2021
    Chantelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yea I think that’s what will be best ..thank ya!
  • Chantelle
    Beginner May 2021
    Chantelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Haha girl that’s crazy I’m sure you are not a bridezilla..def a sucky excuse. But yes your response def helps to put things into perspective. Thank you💖

• Chantelle
    Beginner May 2021
    Chantelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    tenor.gif
    You are definitely right!
  • Chantelle
    Beginner May 2021
    Chantelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awww I’m so happy your situation is so chill that’s amazing💓💓
  • Chantelle
    Beginner May 2021
    Chantelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lolol he was not having it! That’s my problem always caring about someone else thinks smh lol
  • N
    Beginner May 2021
    Netasha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m sure your family will understand but if not remember it’s about you and your mate
  • Mayra
    Savvy May 2021
    Mayra ·
    • Flag
    Omg I’m having 3 MOH lol. I love them all equally and couldn’t leave one out. They’re all happy and didn’t have a problem with it.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics