T
Just Said Yes December 2018

Who pays for bridesmaid dress

Tymber , on December 7, 2017 at 12:06 PM Posted in Wedding Attire

Who typically pays for the bridesmaid dresses? The bride or the bridesmaid?

Share:

20 Comments

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·

The bridesmaid!

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·

In North America the bridesmaids but in the UK is seems the bride. Discuss a budget with them individually and find a dress in the smallest budget

• Mozabrat
    Dedicated October 2018
    Mozabrat ·

The bridesmaid pays. Try to keep in mind the cost when picking out a gown.

• Bulbasaur
    Devoted December 2017
    Bulbasaur ·

Depends on what you want. I've always bought my dress when I was a bridesmaid, but I'm paying for my sister's dress as Matron of Honour. That's just how it worked out for us and I'm not asking her to pay me back.

• BabsandBear
    Devoted October 2018
    BabsandBear ·

I asked my bridesmaids what they were comfortable spending and found dresses in their budget but they are paying for it.

I will be paying for their hair and make up and they'll be paying for the dresses and accessories

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·

My bridesmaids are paying for their dresses which they are all comfortable with. Because these dresses are $175 (I think they're a little pricier) I'm not asking them to have their hair and makeup done professionally. I will have two hair stylists at my hotel for anyone who wants to get it done and if they want it done they will pay for that as well. As for shoes, I just asked they find a nude shoe, heels, flats, something they already own, whatever. I'm not particular since the dresses are long. Because the dress was in budget for them I didn't want to ask them to pay for a lot more so I'm not requiring anything else.

• KatieMBY
    VIP January 2018
    KatieMBY ·

The bridesmaid. Establish a comfortable budget with your maids before picking a dress for them to purchase. If you're lucky, you can all go shopping together and see what dresses look good on each of them.

• Bailey
    Devoted January 2018
    Bailey ·

Depends on you. I paid for all my bridesmaids dresses. They didn't ask to be in my wedding.

• Chantelle
    Devoted September 2018
    Chantelle ·

I've been in weddings where it goes either way. We chose to have a smaller wedding party so we could pay all wedding related expenses for them (including their attire).

• Trevor
    Savvy January 2019
    Trevor ·

In from the UK but never heard of the bride paying! Maybe it's a regional thing.

Usually the bridesmaids pay however I will be offering to pay for my girls as they are all flying from the UK to the US to even attend the wedding so I'm already asking so much of them

• B
    Savvy January 2018
    Bernadette ·

Bridesmaids

• HowCo Industries
    VIP May 2019
    HowCo Industries ·

There can be some regional or cultural things, but I agree with everyone else saying that it's normal for bm's to pay.

• FutureMrsWhite
    Dedicated April 2018
    FutureMrsWhite ·

It seems like the norm is for bridesmaids to pay. I get annoyed every time I have to purchase a $200 dress that I'm never going to wear again, so I'm purchasing my bridal party's dresses, makeup, and jewelry.

• M
    Devoted April 2017
    Miranda ·

I paid for my bridesmaid but that was because she was the only one in my party girl wise

• Sarah
    Devoted February 2018
    Sarah ·

I paid for my bridesmaids bc they're traveling out of state, when I was in my MOHs out of state wedding I paid for my dress.

• Vernell
    Dedicated October 2018
    Vernell ·

The bridesmaid dp.

• ginsteeca
    Dedicated June 2019
    ginsteeca ·

I'm purchasing the dress, shoes, and accessories for my maid of honor. She will be my only attendant. I figure with the costs of coming from out of state (she lives in WA, wedding is in CA) it's only right that I do what I can to help.

• Aly
    Expert June 2018
    Aly ·

The bridesmaid

• BecomingMrsWhite
    Savvy October 2017
    BecomingMrsWhite ·

Our bridal party paid for all their outfits, however we kept it as simple and cheap as possible for them! The girls spend $60 on their dress that can always be worn again (not like 27 dresses worn again, they're basically a simple red maxi dress) and the boys rented a vest for $45 and wore nice jeans and a button up shirt they already had. There is no sense in them paying an arm and a leg for something they won't wear again, which is why we tried to keep it as simple and cheap as possible for them!

• Kristen
    Savvy May 2018
    Kristen ·

Bridesmaid

Comment on this discussion