Erica
Devoted October 2020

Who gets a plus one?

Erica, on September 20, 2019 at 8:13 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 18
Saved Save
So I had a bit of an argument with my mom lately. I was going to give some single guests plus ones, mostly because they would be sitting at a table full of couples or they didnt really know anyone that we were inviting to the wedding. She told me "absolutely not. If they're not dating anyone they dont get a plus one." My FH and I are the ones paying for the wedding we get the say, but is it not normal to give single guests who arent dating anyone a plus one?

18 Comments

• Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    We gave plus ones to all single people.
    If a guest is truly dating somebody that person should be included on the invite by name.
    It's always nice to give solo folks the option to bring somebody if they dont know anybody else or they're travelling.
  • Sarah
    VIP September 2019
    Sarah Online ·
    We gave plus ones to all single people. Almost no one is using them but we still gave them because like you some instances were that our one single friend would be at a table of couples. Personally I wouldn’t want to attend a wedding alone so we didn’t want to make anyone do that unless they wanted to.
  • Amber
    VIP February 2020
    Amber ·

Plus ones are specifically for single people. We have some we're giving plus ones and some we're not, just depends on if they know other people there!

• Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    Please give them a plus one. I really disagree with your mom on this one.
  • Emily
    Dedicated September 2020
    Emily ·
    We are doing a hybrid. My partner has a lot of family, a LOT. So some of the truly single ones (not dating long term) we aren't planning to do plus 1. They will know the other 75 ppl there lol.

But for any married or established couples, we're inviting both. For some of our single friends that might be lonely without a pal, we're offering plus 1.
  • J
    Devoted July 2020
    Jaime ·

Please give plus ones to your single guests. They may or may not take you up on the offer, but it is such a kind and generous thing to do.

• Erica
    Devoted October 2020
    Erica ·
    Thanks for the feedback all! We are probably going to give plus ones to the people we feel would be lonely without one. Our venue does have a minimum guest count, which we are currently having a hard time reaching, so the plus ones would be good for that too if people take us up on the offer
  • Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    I am doing plus ones for anyone thats been dating for like 1 year plus (serious),obviously married couples (though not concidered plus ones) and if there is one or two people that will not know anyone or many people then I'll give them one so they arent alone all night. But I worked hard to invite people (and I'll seat them) with people they will know/get along with
  • Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    I agree with you. We gave plus ones to all of our single guests, but I think it’s important to give them to single guests who won’t know anyone else.
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    You could give single guests plus ones if they don't know anyone. It makes sense to me.
  • needmorewine
    Expert May 2016
    needmorewine ·

I agree with what you're planning. It isn't required to give truly single guests a plus one, but it is a nice thing to do. You're taking your guests' comfort into consideration which is really important to do as a host.

• Ivy ORP
    Rockstar October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·

If you have it in your budget, then yes, give them a plus one. I definitely disagree with your mom on this one.

• V
    VIP July 2019
    Veronica Online ·
    We gave plus ones to almost every single person. The only ones we didn't were my husband's two cousins because they are both drug addicts and we didn't want them bringing someone that could cause drama, my one uncle whose long tern partner passed away about 9 months prior to the wedding and my great uncle who hasn't been in any type of relationship the entire time I've been alive and I'm 25. Those were all people that are in our family so they of course knew people at the wedding. I would definitely give plus ones to single people that don't know anyone else at the wedding or know very few people at the wedding.
  • Catherine
    Expert November 2019
    Catherine ·

I would say do it at your discretion. I gave most of mine plus ones - but some I didn't.

• B
    Dedicated October 2019
    Brittany ·

I was very conservative with plus ones. If we gave a plus one to every single person it would have doubled our guest count and spend (most of our friends are single). We only gave one to those who absolutely needed it:

Anyone in a serious, long term relationship

Anyone engaged, married, or living together

A VIP guest who would not know anyone if they attended

Anyone else who is single will know 85% of the guests and will be arriving with other friends (our friend group is very close knit) so giving them a date on top of that was unnecessary. It's helpful to think about each single person individually and ask yourself how their night would be affected with/without a plus one and then make the call.

• Elizabeth
    Dedicated June 2021
    Elizabeth ·

I don't think it's necessarily required that all single people have plus ones, especially if they know other people there. For example, if you're inviting a group of single coworkers, they can attend together and sit together and then there's no need for a plus one for each one. However, if they don't know anyone or are coming in from a larger distance, they may like someone to do the traveling with and to keep them company. Leaving your guests to be single AND lonely at a wedding really leaves it open for them to be bummed that they aren't with someone.

• Catherine
    June 2020
    Catherine ·

We are giving single friends/family plus ones if we know they have been dating over 6 months.

Last year my sister in law texted me to double check if my sons were still in relationships, I said one yes, the other no. Single son's invite came just to him and other son's came with a plus one.

We didn't think anything of it. They shouldn't have to pay for a bunch of extras. Single son had still had fun

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

I think you should decide if you want to give plus ones for singles at your wedding, not your mother!

Comment on this discussion