Lilo
Just Said Yes October 2019

Where did everyone get their photobooks, help!

Lilo, on October 18, 2019 at 3:58 PM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved Save

Hi everyone!

We’re putting together our budget for the wedding and currently started to look at photographers. We have no problems splurging for a good photographer, but still wanted to keep our costs down as much as possible... My photographer is charging $700 for the photo book!

I'm honestly on the fence about photo books and have thought about not getting one at all and publish photos online instead - it seems expensive for something I probably won't look at very often (my parents certainly haven't!). What do you guys think? Should I just bite the bullet?

Also, have any of you used a service like Shutterfly or Artifact Uprising? It looks good but I'm not sure of the quality or my ability to put together a nice looking book myself.

9 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

There are tons of posts about both Shutterfly and Artifact Uprising if you just search for them in the forums. We're planning to use Shutterfly since they have sales frequently. Artifact Uprising has great quality from what I've seen, but it doesn't seem to be so much better than Shutterfly that I could justify the price difference.

• Michaela
    Super May 2020
    Michaela ·
    • Flag

Yeah I'm with you on this.. I'm meh about photobooks but big NO on a $700 one!! I would just do a smaller one on shutterfly someday when they have a flash sale or something Smiley smile

• Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

I love photo books, but I would not spend $700 on one! I have used Shutterfly for other things (not wedding related), and I love them!! Last Christmas, I designed two different photo blankets for my family members. I uploaded the photos, picked the blanket design, and placed the photos where I wanted them. I was so easy!! I've also done calendars, and a small photo book for my niece. You should check them out. The quality is great!!

• Katie
    Super November 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I used Nations Photo Lab for a photobook and it turned out AMAZING and I got it on sale
  • AQuixoticBride
    VIP July 2018
    AQuixoticBride ·
    • Flag

I haven't finished doing a photobook for us yet (I am such a procrastinator), but I made ones for my parents and my MIL at Shutterfly. The quality was good and they have some decent premium finishes, too. I'd also recommend Mpix.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

Daughter's photography package included a beautiful professional album, but I created one for her dad and myself on Shutterfly. I chose an 11X14" book, with lay-flat pages. It's probably at least 40 pages, and includes about 170 individual photos. It turned out really well and was very easy to create (after I got the hang of importing photos from those we had full rights to from the photographer). The cost, with coupons, was under $200. I also did two 8x8" books for daughter's grandma and godmother. They were each about $40 with coupons, and both recipients were thrilled. Daughter's professional album is nicer, but the Shutterfly books are pretty nice, too.

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

I highly recommend adoramapix.com (recently changed their name to printique). It is professional quality and has great design layouts. The quality is a lot better than shutterfly. I did a test print using the same picture on both sites and the picture quality from adoramapix was much better, crisper, and richer colors. However, it is more expensive too. My book was a 10x10 with about 45 pages and about 200 pictures. It cost about $300. Here's a link to the album.

https://www.printique.com/app/showbook/enorris99/book/Book-created-03102019/

• Lilo
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Lilo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for the reply! Mind if I ask in which ways the professional album is nicer than the Shutterfly photobooks? The cost difference seems huge but was curious what the extra $$$ would get me.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

There were a few differences. First, daughter's photographer actually designed her book/layout after daughter let him know which of the 1100+ photos she wanted in the book. He did a much better job on layout (as expected) than I did using Shutterfly's templates. The templates are very good, but he's a professional with much more experience so his are better. My book looks nice, but hers is gorgeous. Second, the binding of the professional book is a very nice leather. My Shutterfly book has a glossy cover with a large photo that I selected on it. It's nice, but daughter's book is much more professional looking. Third, the pages of the photographer's book are very thick and stiff (like a board book?). My Shutterfly pages are more like a nice quality commercial book/magazine/catalog. Fourth, the quality of the color printing of daughter's book is much better. It very closely (identically?) matches the color/look of the photos as photographer originally uploaded them for us online. The coloration of the Shutterfly book is noticeably darker. Because daughter's book was part of the overall photography package, I don't know exactly what it cost, but it is definitely nicer than my Shutterfly version. Is it a requirement to have a professional book? Not by a long shot, but side-by-side, they are definitely different.

Comment on this discussion