We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Katie
Super August 2021

Where Bride and groom stand at ceremony

Katie, on September 1, 2020 at 10:24 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 18
Saved Save
Does the groom and the groomsmen always stand on the right side for the ceremony or is it ok to have them on the left? I've only been to 2 weddings and at both weddings the groom and the groomsmen were standing on the right side. I'm curious if it would be weird or look odd to have them on the left side instead.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Alma, on September 1, 2020 at 8:32 PM
  • Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    I am having my groom and his groomsmen standing on the left side, because my left side is my better side, and you better bet I’m having my “good side” in pictures! 😂
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

Traditionally the bride is on the left and the groom is on the right, but it's 2020 and you can do whatever you want.

• Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That is exactly why I'm asking. I have a missing tooth on my right side and so I would rather have my left side facing the guests and photographer. I want to make sure that I feel good and look good in the pictures
  • Emma
    Super October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    As long as it’s not a religious ceremony you can stand where ever. If it’s a religious ceremony you’ll need to ask the person that’s officiating the wedding
  • Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s 2020... silly old traditions don’t apply anymore. Make your wedding your own & stand on whatever side makes you feel beautiful!
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Yes but like pp said I don’t think that’s necessary to if you wanna change it up
  • Jessica
    Rockstar September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I found this online and it made me laugh:
    Traditionally, the bride stands on the left at the altar and the groom stands on the right. According to The Knot and Compton’s Encyclopedia, this is not a coincidence: In historic, swashbuckling times, a man needed to keep his right arm free to draw his sword. Like the mythological Paris battling his way to the sea with Helen captured in his left arm, a prospective groom had to expect some resistance from the bride’s family or rival suitors well into the middle ages. As a majority of men are right-handed, it made sense to keep one’s bride on the left and leave one’s sword-arm free.

• Melanie
    Savvy March 2020
    Melanie ·
    • Flag

For my wedding I stood on the right and my husband was on the left. This was only because we got married outside and there was a small slope and if I had been on the left I would've looked taller than him haha. So I think you can do whatever you want and whatever makes you feel comfortable! It won't look odd if you switch it up.

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    In a Jewish ceremony it is the opposite! So no not always.
  • Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I switched places with my husband for our ceremony (my left side is more photogenic, in my weird opinion). Gave my wedding planner a 10 second pause, but it was great, pictures are great, and everything was great.

DO IT!

Smiley heart

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    My husband was on the left and I was on the right... that’s standard in Jewish weddings
  • Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol that is a good one, it definitely made me laugh.
  • Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    His good friends is our officiant, it's going to be a non religious wedding.
  • Emma
    Super October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Then stand on whichever side you please! In all honesty I’m not even sure what side I’m supposed to be on but I believe it’s the left
  • Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

I will be swapping the "typical" sides as well, also because my left side is my good side! lol totally fine in my opinion

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

I remember a post where the B & G "switched sides," but they did not switch their guests (e.g., the bride was on the right, but the "guests of the bride" were on the left). They did it specifically because one or both of their moms wanted to be able to see their child's face during the ceremony rather than look at their back.... Smiley winking I think this one really is a whatever you want issue! Smiley heart

• Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    It’s tradition but not a necessity. If you want it opposite then go for it!
  • Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma ·
    • Flag
    Omg my left side is my better side too! Is is this a woman thing ? Lol 😂

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles