M
Dedicated May 2017

When to pay vendors in full?

Maranda , on March 16, 2017 at 10:00 PM Posted in Planning 0 22
Saved Save

I am new to here but have a question. My FH and I can't agree on when to pay the vendors and everything in full. I have heard horror stories about these thing's and we are a ways off. Is there a protocol or procedure to this?

22 Comments

Latest activity by karen, on March 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM
  • mrsmack
    VIP April 2017
    mrsmack ·
    • Flag

Your vendors will give you a date when the balance is due - most of our vendors are due 2 weeks before the wedding.

• Chip
    Master March 2018
    Chip ·
    • Flag

Your contract should tell you when final payment is due...

• M
    Dedicated May 2017
    Maranda ·
    • Flag

The contracts we have minus Dj do not give dates

• Bee
    Master April 2017
    Bee ·
    • Flag

Your contracts don't mention when payments are due?! Not even a "30 days prior to event" type detail? I have never, ever seen a business contract without payment info.

• ambrok
    Master October 2017
    ambrok ·
    • Flag

FH wants to pay in full right now. I plan on paying by their due date or the week of (if no date was listed) instead of dealing with this on the wedding day. As for a tip, I will send that with a Thank You card shortly afterwards.

• M
    Dedicated May 2017
    Maranda ·
    • Flag

@bee I just double checked bar caterers want by 30 days after Venue says by 24 hours before the rest no where on it

• StPaulGal
    Master July 2017
    StPaulGal ·
    • Flag

That's bizarre and super unprofessional! Are these actual, professional vendors? The payment schedule is one of the most basic parts of the contract. I have never seen one lacking this information, and I would run screaming from any vendor who presented one without a clear due date listed. Yikes! I guess at this point all you can do is call and ask.

• C
    Just Said Yes April 2017
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

On average it's 2 weeks before the wedding date

• Future Mrs. Mash
    VIP September 2017
    Future Mrs. Mash ·
    • Flag

My advice would be to pay everything off as soon as possible. However, most vendors give you a timeframe. Like most of our vendors required a deposit of course, and then the rest due 30 days prior to the wedding. Others just request it before the day of. But it's so much easier to relax knowing they are paid already and one less thing to stress about!

• KCJV
    Super February 2018
    KCJV ·
    • Flag

Most of my vendors require final payments due 30 days before the wedding. If it's not in your contract, definitely ask your vendors.

• E.V.
    VIP November 2017
    E.V. ·
    • Flag

Even if it isn't required, I would try to pay everything off at least a month ahead of your wedding date so that you don't have to worry about it.

• Mrs.B2B
    Super March 2018
    Mrs.B2B ·
    • Flag

They usually do have their own dates

• ModernDayBride
    Super January 2018
    ModernDayBride ·
    • Flag

I would call and check with the vendors to see when it should be due. Everything is different our Dj said we could pay him the week of . Our venue said the balance needs to be paid two months in advance.

• CaboBride2018
    VIP May 2018
    CaboBride2018 ·
    • Flag

Your contracts will have a due date. Don't pay them before that day. If anything happens before it's a lot easier to refuse to pay than to ask for money back

• Jennifer
    Super June 2017
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Mine are actually all day of wedding.

• Natalie<3Chris
    Super September 2017
    Natalie<3Chris ·
    • Flag

Mine are all due 2 wks prior but we're hoping to have them paid off 2 mo ahead. J

• Michael V
    Michael V ·
    • Flag

I ask for final payment 7 calendar days before the event. My main goal here is to not have my couples conduct business on their big day. I'd rather they enjoy themselves. Best wishes!

• Private_User832
    Master August 2017
    Private_User832 ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't pay early unless you have insurance or are getting money off for paying early

• Miguel de Maria
    Miguel de Maria ·
    • Flag

Assuming you are dealing with professional vendors who you've gotten references for and are successful, ongoing businesses, when you pay them is mostly irrelevant. In other words, you can expect them to pay you back if it's canceled or something happens. So you may very well choose to pay them early, if that's the best thing for you. That being said... you never know, so it doesn't hurt to be careful.

• TheBlindBride
    Devoted June 2018
    TheBlindBride ·
    • Flag

I would pay when on or right before the due date. Why should the vendors hold onto and make interest off your money longer than necessary? You could be earning interest off that money instead.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics